IVY vs JHU ( Full Scholarship) vs BSMD

You would be a fool to pay money to go to an Ivy vs a full ride at Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thx- For BSMD, SB is better.

Now need to figure out JHU vs. Columbia or Penn. JHU scholarship is from engineering school so plan to do chemical or biomedical ( BME is top notch whereas chemical and biomolecular is less ranked but ChE is broadef branch). Not sure they will pay if try to move to Biology/neuroscience - so think ChE might be safe bet as premed with full scholarship ( have offers from BME rank 2-5- GT, Rice, Duke etc.).

Both Penn and Columbia BME dont rank but IVY charm- am awaiting if they give $$ and have provided JHU scholarship letter. Lets see.

Is JHU as prestigious as IVY? Penn seems more premed or BME oriented compared to Columbia but I live 1-2 hr drive from Columbia. So unless Penn offers more $$ or is better program, perhaps better with Columbia - Not sure.

Too many variables and all confused. Some times SB looks good and at other JHU and other IVY. Perhaps IVY should be removed as full schol at JHU and perhaps as prestigious as IVY. Again not sure.
For anything engineering related, JH is better than Penn and Columbia. For BME specifically, it’s a no brainer that JH is on a different level. You are probably too wrapped up with the prestige factor (as are many other kids in hs). JH is just as respected as the these 2 ivys. I’d argue that if everything else is equal, med school admissions people will be more impressed with a 3.9 gpa from JH than from penn or Columbia (due to more grade deflation). However, if you wanna impress your fellow students, friends, your relatives, and layperson right now, then go to penn or Columbia. It might have more of the “wow” factor that seem important to you. Having said all this, I’d go with the sb bsmd option over these other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You would be a fool to pay money to go to an Ivy vs a full ride at Hopkins.
Ya think planning to eliminate IVY unless they come back with better financial package. Right now differential is 30-40K.

How about SBU BSMD guaranteed vs JHU high risk/high reward option?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anything engineering related, JH is better than Penn and Columbia. For BME specifically, it’s a no brainer that JH is on a different level. You are probably too wrapped up with the prestige factor (as are many other kids in hs). JH is just as respected as the these 2 ivys. I’d argue that if everything else is equal, med school admissions people will be more impressed with a 3.9 gpa from JH than from penn or Columbia (due to more grade deflation). However, if you wanna impress your fellow students, friends, your relatives, and layperson right now, then go to penn or Columbia. It might have more of the “wow” factor that seem important to you. Having said all this, I’d go with the sb bsmd option over these other schools.
Ya for BME JHU is no brainer but even considering ChE - it is chemical and Biomolecular engg that may be broader and perhaps less competitive than JHU BME. Perhaps need to be in Engineering only since scholarship from Engg. Will assume premed is also cutthroat as JHU is powerhouse for med related stuffs.

Columbia or Penn or SBU BME will be much piece of cake.

Security of SBU BSMD is enticing but JHU ride and IVY charm confusing.

Ya for BME JHU is no brainer but even considering ChE - it is chemical and Biomolecular engg that may be broader and perhaps less competitive than JHU BME. Perhaps need to be in Engineering only since scholarship from Engg. Will assume premed is also cutthroat as JHU is powerhouse for med related stuffs.

At JH, probably like half of your classmates will be premed and they will be cutthroat. Those kinds of classmates are the worst. Forget Penn or Columbia. Although good, they’re not Harvard or Stanford and not better than JH. So consider JH if you know you are the cream of the crop and can handle it. Otherwise, go to sb which is what most people here suggested anyway. Case closed.

I’m sure you’ve probably made a decision already, but I just wanted to give some insight as an 8-year BS/MD student at Stony Brook. For college decisions in high school, I had a dilemma between BS/MD programs and some T20 institutions (including IVY) and ended up choosing the former because it seemed like the most flexible and ”guaranteed” option out of the ones presented. For reference, we’ve had students forfeit acceptances to Johns Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, Brown, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Rice, WashU, Emory, USC, etc. to come to our program. I know that you can take 1-2 gap years in the program between undergrad and medical school (after 3 years of undergrad or the 4th year of undergrad) to pursue any outside interests, including a masters’ degree, study abroad, research, etc. For myself, I find it much more stress-free knowing I have a guarantee at-hand, and if I do well academically and stats-wise in the next few years, there’s nothing that would hold me back from applying out and dealing my cards for a higher tier MD program (assuming a cost-benefit ratio).

At the end of the day, you’ll be a doctor if you want to go this route, and it’s up to you to decide which choice is better. I’m sure that you’ve made a decision by now, but I wanted to give a perspective from someone who is actually in the program; let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user