No OAT before Ochem II.. should I take it?

xoforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to take the OAT before taking the latter portion of organic chemistry... for those who have taken the OAT, is this a bad idea? I have the textbook, and the Kaplan review notes and was hoping to teach myself the material for O Chem II in a month...

Are ochem I and II equally weighted on the OAT? Is there more or less of either on the OAT? How much ochem II IS there on the OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Some. Just look through a practice O.A.T. to gain an idea of how much material looks foreign to you.

I just took the OAT the other day, and haven't taken organic II either. I was expecting a nice mix of organic I+II as was shown on all of the kaplan and opted practice test (which I had been scoring pretty well on.. as I know my organic I quite well), but on my actual OAT, it was almost completely organic II reactions. :( I pretty much bombed that one section. If I had to do it over, I would've tried to teach myself organic II before the exam as well. If you have a month to study for it and learn it... as long as you'll really do it, you should probably be fine. I don't know if this is the norm for the OAT or not though (to have that much organic II)?!

I never took Organic Chemistry II and got my best score in the org chem section (390). It probably depends upon how good your org chem class was. I took Org Chem I at a CC during a summer and had a good teacher. So in my experience (granted, I took the OAT in 2005), but it did not hurt me to have not taken Org Chem II.

ONLY if you have a good foundation and understanding for Orgo1, then I believe you can teach yourself the second half. Im not too familiar with how many questions will be on the actual OAT as far as Orgo2 is concerned, but if you can really sit down and memorize the reactions and do the synthesis in the back of your text for the most part, then you should take the OAT before taking the course.
Good luck!:)