No need to rub it in

fkajoshaj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attention all showoffs:

If you got well over a 300 in each section, there is no need to ask us "what do you think? what are my chances? are these scores any good?" you dont need to show off and rub it in. You must be completely dumb to ask if they're good or not. Leave those questions to ppl who are in a dilemma and need honest opinions. Its just getting really annoying already!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to agree, anything 320-330 is great and you have little to worry about OAT-wise. Anything over 340 and you're just overstressing or showing off.

I personally like the fact that those who did very well posts there scores. All the optometrist I had talked to said that the OAT was a breeze and the didn't even remember studying for it. After reading the posts this summer with all the great scores >380 I became worried and studied more. I think the showoffs really helped me realized that I needed to work harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbdown:its different to just report your scores than to report them and ask "are they good enough? or am i screwed?" thats whats pathetic and annoying!

:thumbdown:its different to just report your scores than to report them and ask "are they good enough? or am i screwed?" thats whats pathetic and annoying!

ok how about this one...
i received decent scores in my science, but one of them was a 270. what are my chances? i know they give leniency for like 280 and 290..but has anyone been accepted with a 270?

I agree...I think any thing over 340 or so is pretty damn good and yet people are questioning...I scored over 300 except in QR and RC..but i was reading some posts few weeks ago and some kids got almost perfect scores and yet they are worried...After reading those posts, I felt like I have no chance to get in any school...it was very depressing...neway, my first interview is on NOV 19 with SUNY...

seriously, people have to stop with the gpa and oat scores. But i know if i do get in i might put in a story of how i did it.

seriously, people have to stop with the gpa and oat scores. But i know if i do get in i might put in a story of how i did it.

It's actually quite simple, if you see the title "OAT scores/results" don't click it! :idea:

I personally enjoy reading that info because it gives you an idea of what people are going through and at the same time gives you a little motivation to do better.

So I took the OAT today, but I'm concerned about my RC score. I have shadowed for 80 hours at a solo practice, group practice, vision therapy, lasik clinic, retail/corporate and VA hospital. My overall GPA is only 3.8 but my science GPA is 3.97. Anyhow my scores are below....what are my chances? Do you think RC will hurt me?

Quantitative Reasoning 400
Reading Comp 390

Biology 400
General Chemistry 400
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 400

I am only kidding; however, I would have to agree with thanotoriousfob. No need to get all bent out of shape over nothing.

So I took the OAT today, but I'm concerned about my RC score. I have shadowed for 80 hours at a solo practice, group practice, vision therapy, lasik clinic, retail/corporate and VA hospital. My overall GPA is only 3.8 but my science GPA is 3.97. Anyhow my scores are below....what are my chances? Do you think RC will hurt me?

Reading Comp 390

Biology 400
General Chemistry 400
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 400

I am only kidding; however, I would have to agree with thanotoriousfob. No need to get all bent out of shape over nothing.

:laugh:

Reading Comp 390

Biology 400
General Chemistry 400
Organic Chemistry 400
Physics 400
Total Science 400
Academic Average 400

Ouch!! You only got a 400 on the physics section?!?!;)

I think posting scores...especially scores closer to 400 are beneficial to the entire community. It raises our standards and shows others that a 380, 390, 400 is possible. Just for comparison the DAT is very similar to the OAT. OAT has physics instead of the Perceptual Ability in the DAT. Otherwise they are identical. The difference is how its scored. For example an OAT score of 380 is equivalent to a DAT score of 20-21. A DAT score of 26-30 are indistinguishable in the OAT score system. This shows that the standards in the DAT are much higher than the OAT...

But yes its annoying when people post a 3.5+ gpa with a 350+ OAT and ask "will I get in??", "what are my chances?", etc. This is just dumb.

I think posting scores...especially scores closer to 400 are beneficial to the entire community. It raises our standards and shows others that a 380, 390, 400 is possible. Just for comparison the DAT is very similar to the OAT. OAT has physics instead of the Perceptual Ability in the DAT. Otherwise they are identical. The difference is how its scored. For example an OAT score of 380 is equivalent to a DAT score of 20-21. A DAT score of 26-30 are indistinguishable in the OAT score system. This shows that the standards in the DAT are much higher than the OAT...

But yes its annoying when people post a 3.5+ gpa with a 350+ OAT and ask "will I get in??", "what are my chances?", etc. This is just dumb.

I completely agree with the bold statement. Whether we choose to admit it or not, we ARE competing with each other for the same spots. Seeing people post scores that are higher than what you were "planning" on shooting for raises the bar (or at least it should, to some extent).

When people post scores asking about their chances, none of us REALLY have any idea whether they'll be accepted somewhere or not, we assess it based on our ideas of what we think is acceptable to the admissions committees. For me, these ideas are based on the average scores provided by the schools, AND loosely off of the other scores I see posted here. Obviously, it's not a fair representation because not everyone posts scores, but seeing a lot of really high scores pushed me to study hard and make sure I wasn't going to fall behind.

When people post scores that are above whatever score YOU ("you" being whoever is reading, not someone in particular) got, asking what their chances are it is annoying because it makes you second guess your own scores. The whole application process is a continual self evaluation/re-evaluation process, and that's just something that we all have to deal with.

Until we see those acceptance letters, I think the majority of the people here are going to be nervous about where they stand, even those people who most of us think won't have problems. And for those people who aren't nervous at all, but still post their amazing scores asking "what are my chances?"... well clearly they've got their own set of issues they need to work out for themselves. ;)

I agree with blyssful. I was extremely nervous about where I stood and honestly didn't know what my chances were of getting accepted. I did well on the OAT and I think my gpa was average. However, the recruiting directors said I was competitive, but told me nothing to believe that I was a shoe in. After that and looking at people getting 380s, I was really worried. It turns out I shouldn't have been worried, but I did not mean to be a dick and brag. I sincerely didn't know my chances. Good luck everyone!

Lets be real here, guys.

This IS what the admissions committee look at. First thing's first, if you don't have good OAT scores and a good GPA, then they won't care about all the showing, exposure, etc that you have.

So yes, the what are my chances questions are posted alot (heck, I think I did the same thing), but they are REAL concerns sometimes.

As for the 390/380 with gpa of 3.8, let them show off. I agree with jvelos, stating that their posted scores are indeed beneficial to the community.