No More Grade Replacement for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naivePremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first time applicant, however this news is so disheartening and without any notice, and I am trying to scramble for alternatives.
I want to know what you guys as re-applicants options might be, after retaking courses this year and realizing that those retakes wont count towards this cycle? :(
Good luck to everyone, this is a huge surprise; a bad one at that.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your cGPA, sGPA and MCAT? There is an "underdogs" thread that is full of people with terrible GPAs that got in. The common theme seemed to a SMP (special masters program) with high gpa and research experience. I have also seen adcoms say that certain schools only consider the last 2-3 years for gpa. The problem arrises when a gpa is below the cutoff (less than a 2.75 for most schools) because your app gets tossed before anyone really gets a good look at it. I should mention that with a sub 3.2 gpa, your MD options are probably non-existent.

Tons of people got screwed by the sudden removal of grade replacement BUT the good news is it might cut some more slack to non-trads. Most people that turned a 2.5 into a 3.5 from grade replacement were non-trads. Medical schools don't want a class full of bio/chem majors so they might put less weight on gpa's and more weight on the MCAT for non-trads.

thank you for the reply, I am looking through alternatives like SMPs

Bump

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk