"No Longer Accepting Applications"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadian1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what percentage of programs in ERAS say "no longer accepting applications" at the present time?

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering what percentage of programs in ERAS say "no longer accepting applications" at the present time?

Are you still thinking about applying to programs now?

Isn't it WAY too late for that? I'm sure most interviews are wrapping up now, and isn't the rank list due soon?

Are you still thinking about applying to programs now?

Isn't it WAY too late for that? I'm sure most interviews are wrapping up now, and isn't the rank list due soon?

Yes, I am new to this process and slow. But not being your usual candidate, I feel I will likely wind up with a "less competitive" program or go to the scramble.

Parents used to put Downs Syndrome children in institutions because they had low IQ, looked strange and had organ defects. Many now take them home, recognizing their strong qualities of being loving etc. I think you can recognize the advantages of less competitive programs that may be superior in some ways to the ivey leaguers. There is still time to submit your ROL.

Yes, I am new to this process and slow. But not being your usual candidate, I feel I will likely wind up with a "less competitive" program or go to the scramble.

Parents used to put Downs Syndrome children in institutions because they had low IQ, looked strange and had organ defects. Many now take them home, recognizing their strong qualities of being loving etc. I think you can recognize the advantages of less competitive programs that may be superior in some ways to the ivey leaguers. There is still time to submit your ROL.
Uh... even the "less competitive" programs have finished interviewing and are behind closed doors planning their ROL. Applying through ERAS, getting interviewed, and being ranked is finished for this year. No judgment of any particular program or specialty meant or implied, that's simply reality at this time of year.

Sorry, but if you're thinking about applying to residency programs now, you've missed the boat. Even the less competitive ones have either finished interviewing, or are in the process of finishing interviewing by now. The best time to apply is in September or even early October. You options now are to either scramble, where the chances of obtaining a residency are basically slim to none, or to reapply, and much earlier, next year. The second option is your best bet.

WTF???:eek: Is s/he comparing residency programs to a trisomy?

Definitely a strange post.

Parents used to put Downs Syndrome children in institutions because they had low IQ, looked strange and had organ defects. Many now take them home, recognizing their strong qualities of being loving etc.

Huh? :confused:

LOL.gif

Actually, I sort of get the comparison of less competitive residency programs to Down syndrome. Its a very weak analogy though. Canadian is saying that less competitive residencies can produce good doctors the same way that more competitive residencies can. I guess Canadian considers this analogous to Down's patients turning out just as well people who were not born with Down's.

Weird sort of analogy, though. Never had that comparison used before.

Actually, I sort of get the comparison of less competitive residency programs to Down syndrome. Its a very weak analogy though. Canadian is saying that less competitive residencies can produce good doctors the same way that more competitive residencies can. I guess Canadian considers this analogous to Down's patients turning out just as well people who were not born with Down's.

Weird sort of analogy, though. Never had that comparison used before.
Yeah, I mean, I get it, I just fail to see how it relates to whether or not one could still apply for positions in this year's match. :confused:

Yeah, I mean, I get it, I just fail to see how it relates to whether or not one could still apply for positions in this year's match. :confused:

Ok. Ok. Please forgive me for the weak analogy. The weather in Canada is so severe, it weakens us. :D

Another reason for taking my time applying is that I would prefer a PGY2, 3 or 4 position since I have done one year of postgrad training and may get credit for my years in practice. I understand the NRMP match is for PGY1 positions and that you have to apply directly for PGY2 and later. I understand these positions are few because most PGY1 residents continue on at the same program. Some positions come up before July 1.

Am I correct in my assessment of this system?

Ok. Ok. Please forgive me for the weak analogy. The weather in Canada is so severe, it weakens us. :D

Another reason for taking my time applying is that I would prefer a PGY2, 3 or 4 position since I have done one year of postgrad training and may get credit for my years in practice. I understand the NRMP match is for PGY1 positions and that you have to apply directly for PGY2 and later. I understand these positions are few because most PGY1 residents continue on at the same program. Some positions come up before July 1.

Am I correct in my assessment of this system?

Yes, true for IM and FP. The NRMP does match people into PGY-2 spots, but that's for advanced programs (anesthesia, derm, etc) that start in the PGY-2 year after a prelim year.

As I mentioned before, I doubt you will get any credit for your previous training. It sounds like you've been out of practice for some time. Medicine has changed dramatically, and if you were to start as a PGY-2 and try to oversee PGY-1's I expect you would have a great deal of trouble.

I think you need to focus on getting a PGY-1 spot, which might still be quite difficult given the time since graduation and your past licensing problems (which may make getting a new license tricky). Good luck!

Funnyman-
That is some funny creative crap. Maybe you should be a comedian instead? throw a medical slant on your stand up routine...

Just a thought.

WTF???:eek: Is s/he comparing residency programs to a trisomy?

I was really lost...and tried not to laugh...but I did. Forgive me. And your post just sent me over the deep end...Blahahahaha:laugh:

Funnyman-
That is some funny creative crap. Maybe you should be a comedian instead? throw a medical slant on your stand up routine...

Just a thought.

Yes. Thank you for the suggestion and the compliment :). I do some stand up comedy. How about this: "Seven days without making an approved SDN analogy makes one week." :D