NMS 6th edition question book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay did ANYONE use this book for preparation?

I have heard several things about it.

#1 people seem to say it is HARDER than the actual questions, and it pretty good.

I was thinking to use it....what do people think?

I would prefer people that used the book in its entirety reply....

Thanks,

invitro

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying NMS now. Another person I know who passed with a 93 (two digit score) loved it. Some questions are very picky, then others have total Buzzwords, so i'm not sure where I stand with it. Overall, from other forums, NMS, BSS, and Q-bank are tops (not in that order!) Good luck

One of the criticisms of the book is that the authors sometimes have a clinical vignette and then ask 4 or 5 consecutive questions about the EXACT same vignette. On the boards they minimize this, supposedly. If you check the NMBE's Step I Bulletin, where they give advice to med profs for designing multiple choice tests, they state that this isn't such a hot idea because if you miss the point of the vignette, you'll miss an entire mini-block of questions. (Probably lowers the validity/reliability of the test.)

In past years, NMS was considered one of the best question sources, but I'm not sure if that is the current consensus. First Aid, which represents the opinions of many, many med students, downgraded their recommendation from A- to B+.