NIH summer research - ULTIMATE Resume Booster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanjones

dat baby dont look likeme
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you really want to boost your resume in medical school you need to do research. Doing research at your local institution is good, but doing research at the institution that leads the United States in research is the BEST of the BEST. Speaking from personal experience it will open doors for you that you wouldnt believe. PLEASE take the time to apply for these very competitive summer programs (and they pay good money too). FYI its not to early to start planning for the upcoming summer.

Summer Internship Program in
Biomedical Research
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/

Clinical Research Training Program
http://www.cc.nih.gov/training/crtp/crtp.html

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with the above post. You can make many contacts at NIH by doing a summer there. In addition, you can learn the craft of getting your research funded, excellent techniques and expose yourself to some incredible people who want to mentor you for years to come. My career in academic medicine started with being an undergraduate researcher for NIH. I ended up getting my undergraduate, graduate school paid for by NIH grants and scholarships. These led to my full-ride for medical school and now my entry into academic medicine. Jump on these things early and have your goals in mind.

I had the educational experiences of a lifetime at NIH and their affiliates. Sure you will work hard but it's definitely worth it if you can excel.

I also agree and will add that you should make sure to apply WAY early...get cracking on the applications in October. Get your references lined up early as well as any transcripts needed and contact any faculty you are interested in researching with. Its more of a rolling admissions process to simplify things, so the sooner you get on it, the better chance you have at one of these positions.

You really cant get too much better than this. There are very few circumstances and opportunities I can think of that would be better on your resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good lookin out... My summer just passed and I spent it doing research at my local institution.. but I think I definitely want to do a research year at the NIH between 2nd and 3rd year

Thanks for that info it's funny because I'm applying to med school right now and I've been looking at those programs. I'm definitely applyn to the summer program for this summer b4 med school.

Hello!
I'm planning on applying to NIH's Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research for the summer of 2009. By that time, I will be an undergraduate, rising junior. A few of you mentioned how competitive the program is. As of right now, I have no research experience (aside from lab work for courses). I'm trying to get into someone's lab for the spring semester but I was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage?

Any other pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Are there any research opportunities around SF?

bump.. i have a friend who went this route and loved it.. but the research he did sounds more like grunt work to me (mostly entering data into a database and running pcr samples)... no offense but that doesn't sound too fun or educational. is his experience an outlier?

One of the faculty members from my medschool (Meharry) was (is?) on the admission board for Howard Hughes. He was saying how he didn't see any applications come in from Meharry, Morehouse, Howard or Drew. We really need to get on. Who do we expect the research the conditions that disproportionately effect our people?

Anyways, my school has some md/phd program with NIH. I'm considering doing that or doing HHMI/NIH for a year first to see if I want to extend it into a phd.

Do you guys know of any other good research opportunities?

Lys

If you really want to boost your resume in medical school you need to do research. Doing research at your local institution is good, but doing research at the institution that leads the United States in research is the BEST of the BEST. Speaking from personal experience it will open doors for you that you wouldnt believe. PLEASE take the time to apply for these very competitive summer programs (and they pay good money too). FYI its not to early to start planning for the upcoming summer.

Summer Internship Program in
Biomedical Research
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/

Clinical Research Training Program
http://www.cc.nih.gov/training/crtp/crtp.html

Good luck!

Hi I have a question. I've been thinking about this for awhile. I am not sure what my chanced would be. I have a BA in psychology and didn't take science classes. What are my chances?