Mayo Clinic Undergraduate Research Program (Paid Summer Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otoresident

Reaction score
Hello Pre-Med students!

I am one of the residents in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I wanted to share this wonderful opportunity offered through our department this year.

Otolaryngology – otherwise known as Ear, Nose, and Throat, is (in my humble opinion) one of the best fields in medicine. It offers a unique combination of complex surgery, medical management, and incorporates the use of new and exciting technology. We perform microscopic ear surgery, endoscopic skull base surgery, robotic head and neck surgery, and complex plastics reconstruction of defects in the head and neck. Most importantly, we are one of the few specialties with the skill to restore several of the 5 senses for our patients – the ability to hear, smell, and taste. In addition, our team is not made up of only doctors/surgeons. We have incredible physician assistants and nurse practitioners who care for our patients both in the clinic and in the operating room, speech and language pathologists that help patients improve their breathing, swallowing and voice, audiologists who can help restore a patients hearing and basic scientists studying genetics and the immune system.

The Mayo Clinic Otolaryngology Undergraduate Research Program is a newly established program in our department that offers a 10 week paid summer internship to underrepresented in medicine (URM) undergraduate students interested in entering the medical field. The stipend should be enough to cover cost of living for the summer, and in addition, would pay for prep classes or tutoring for examinations required for graduate school (ex: MCAT for med school, etc), and would support you going to a conference to attend and learn or present your research.

This intensive 10 week research program is meant to help students build experience in research and clinical skills. Students will be paired up with residents and faculty mentors, and shadow in the clinic and operating room setting. This year, the program will run from June 7th to Aug 13th.

Please see the following link for more information on how to apply. The deadline to apply is April 1st.

Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Otolaryngology Undergraduate Research Program

If anyone has any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me on this forum! I will try to answer as many as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I was just wondering if there's an interview process for this program? Also, is there a specific thing or topic that the personal statement has to be about?

Hi, how many students are accepted? And as a sophomore would I be considered a competitive applicant or should I wait until next year as a junior? Also does the stipend cover housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was just wondering if there's an interview process for this program? Also, is there a specific thing or topic that the personal statement has to be about?
Hello! Thanks for your question. There may be a brief interview process for this program. It depends on the candidates we get and the number of applications we receive.
The personal statement should talk about your interest in medicine, reasons why you feel you are underrepresented in medicine, and why you feel that this clinical/research program would be a good fit for you. Hope that helps!

Hi, how many students are accepted? And as a sophomore would I be considered a competitive applicant or should I wait until next year as a junior? Also does the stipend cover housing?
Hello! Great questions. We can accept up to 3 students this year. Sophomores can definitely apply if interested! If you don’t get it you can always reapply next year. You don’t lose anything applying this year.

The stipend is meant to cover housing/living expenses, MCAT prep classes, and any potential travel fees for presentation at a regional or national conference.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! is the program in person? Also if I am not URM do I still have a shot? Thank you!

Yes! The program is in person.

We are considering all applicants who feel underrepresented in medicine based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or whatever the reason may be. Let us know why you feel that you are an underrepresented minority in your personal statement. We will consider all who apply.

Is this the first year of this program at the Mayo Clinic?

Yep! Our department has hosted undergraduate and medical students for research and shadowing in past years in an unofficial capacity, but this is the first year of the formal funded program

Hi! May I also ask how does the monthly stipend look like?

Hello,

The time commitment will be about 40 hours per week - it’s an intensive fully immersive summer program and a full time job.

The stipend will include about $6000 in living expenses and extra money set aside for MCAT prep and sponsoring travel to research conferences.

Reactions: 1 users
two questions:

1:for the transcripts do you want official transcripts sent over by the university because if so my university may not be able to send it by April first but I can defiantly request them before April first.
2: are you determining junior status by credits or by years at the university?

Thank you for the questions. I believe we will accept unofficial transcripts at least up front
By years at university - but being a junior is not required, only recommended.

I heard back- I didn’t get in but congrats to everyone who did! It sounds like an amazing program.