NIH Research Supplement Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousStar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone done this grant program for underrepresented minorities?

If so what was the timeline like for you in terms of the grant application? Was it helpful in applying for graduate or medical school?

Any experience or advice you want to share is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a supplement application being processed right now with NHLBI. I was told that its best to have the application in at least 3 months before you would like to start your research. Finding a PI with a grant with NHLBI was the toughest part. I think it helps when applying to schools especially if you don't have any prior research experience! :)

Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me how I go about applying? I def want in on this......what did you do to find a PI?

Go to the institute that you are most interested in working with and look at the list of folks who have RO1 or R29 grants (these are PIs). Depending on where you are located, there may or may not be anyone with one of these grants.

You can also look into getting a position at NIH as a summer minority researcher where they can match you with a PI whose research most closely matches your interests.

Here's one that I found for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The PI is Howard D. White in the Department of Physiology who is doing research on Thin Filiment Regulation-Cardiac Actomyosin Hydrolysis. You would need to contact this PI and ask if he would be willing to write a supplement grant for you to work with him on some aspect of this research. You could look up his grant application (number is provided below) and see all of the aspects of this project. You would need to identify (with his input) some area that you could work on and how how much time you would be able to devote to the project.

EASTERN VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL 1R01HL084604-01 7086753 White, Howard D Thin Filament Regulation-Cardiac Actomyosin Hydrolysis PHYSIOLOGY SCHOOLS OF MEDICINE $331,400 NORFOLK VIRGINIA 23501-1980 Y EASTERN VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL NORFOLK, VIRGINIA 23501-1980 Domestic Higher Education N

I just looked up Virginia on this site NIH Grant Money By State clicked on the state and got a list of projects by year. You would want to pick year 2006 as those projects are currently funded and working.