NIH or FSU waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightstale4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a while, and I am still confused. I wanted to see the general opinion.

I have been accepted into the NIH Postbac IRTA program. These positions are very difficult to come by, and only 10% of applicants are accepted. It's an opportunity to do research, which I have very little of. A graduate course in science changed my views on research, and inspired me to try out. While I don't see myself pursuing an MD/PhD, I have been thinking about applying for a clinical scientist training program like the one Case Western (I think) has.

Another weird aspect of my application is that in the beginning of the cycle, my MCAT was 28. Obviously, that meant rejections en masse, except from FSU, which really does look at the applicant and non the stats only. Unfortunately, I got wait listed, and am still in this limbo zone.Then I retook the MCAT this March, and got a 34. My gpa is still weak with a 3.5, but I am taking postbac classes.

My question is, what should I do?
Option 1: Take the NIH intern position and get off of the waitlist? This would mean reapplying next year.
Option 2: Or stay on the waitlist in the potential chances of getting in and let go of the IRTA position?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I am still confused. I wanted to see the general opinion.

I have been accepted into the NIH Postbac IRTA program. These positions are very difficult to come by, and only 10% of applicants are accepted. It's an opportunity to do research, which I have very little of. A graduate course in science changed my views on research, and inspired me to try out. While I don't see myself pursuing an MD/PhD, I have been thinking about applying for a clinical scientist training program like the one Case Western (I think) has.

Another weird aspect of my application is that in the beginning of the cycle, my MCAT was 28. Obviously, that meant rejections en masse, except from FSU, which really does look at the applicant and non the stats only. Unfortunately, I got wait listed, and am still in this limbo zone.Then I retook the MCAT this March, and got a 34. My gpa is still weak with a 3.5, but I am taking postbac classes.

My question is, what should I do?
Option 1: Take the NIH intern position and get off of the waitlist? This would mean reapplying next year.
Option 2: Or stay on the waitlist in the potential chances of getting in and let go of the IRTA position?
This is just based on my opinion but if I were you I would take the NIH and reapply I think you stand much better chances next year, plus there are no guarantees you will get in off the waitlist. Again this is just my personal opinion. Good luck!!!!

When exactly do you have to make a final decision NIH?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take the NIH position, are you obligated to work for the full year if you get into FIU? If not, maybe you could leave your position if you get off the waitlist? Your lab PI probably wouldn't be very happy, but I'm sure they would understand that medical school is more important than a one year postbacc research opportunity.

When is the deadline to accept or reject the NIH offer? Could you say yes to the NIH position, and then quit/withdraw from it if you get off the FSU waitlist in the coming weeks? Is FSU a school you really want to go to, or is it more like a last choice school for you?

Take the NIH offer, withdraw from NIH if you get accepted off the waitlist, simple as that.

They may or may not be pissed, but who cares if you are burning bridges with NIH faculty?

Thanks for all the replies.

I love FSU (personally speaking, all Florida schools are pretty amazing), but I am worried about the lack of research at this school. That's why I applied to the NIH (that, and I thought I would not even get one interview). The IRTA position is perfect to fill in those gaps in my college application. Also, I was looking at summer research programs for medical school students, and it seems all of them require/prefer at least a year of experience.

The NIH position begins at the same time FSU COM starts--early June (start date is negotiable, but must be before mid-June since I have to give appropriate notice to those at my work). The deadline to respond back is May 18.

Also, I am not comfortable with accepting the position and then leaving them high and dry. It is highly unprofessional, even if beneficial to me, and I would never want anyone to do that to me. I just want to make one decision and stick with it.

FSUCOM will always be there, this NIH opportunity won't. You should take this opportunity, it's one of those "once in a lifetime" things. You're also going to be able to make amazing connections there.

With that great MCAT score, you've opened up a lot more doors for yourself. I am sure that if you sent a letter to FSU saying that you love them and plan on reapplying after this NIH opportunity, they definitely would not look down on it. It would probably help you even get an outright acceptance when you reapply.

Or you might find out you want to go somewhere else. Having more research, a better MCAT, and a letter of rec from someone at the NIH only makes you a better applicant, and gives you more opportunities. There's no rush--med schools will always be around. Take some time for yourself, and do this program. You deserve it, after all the hard work you've put in.

You could even hang onto the Waitlist position, see what happens, and if you get into FSU, defer to begin next year, if you're positive you want to go there.

I love FSU (personally speaking, all Florida schools are pretty amazing), but I am worried about the lack of research at this school. That's why I applied to the NIH (that, and I thought I would not even get one interview). The IRTA position is perfect to fill in those gaps in my college application. Also, I was looking at summer research programs for medical school students, and it seems all of them require/prefer at least a year of experience.

The NIH position begins at the same time FSU COM starts--early June (start date is negotiable, but must be before mid-June since I have to give appropriate notice to those at my work). The deadline to respond back is May 18.

Also, I am not comfortable with accepting the position and then leaving them high and dry. It is highly unprofessional, even if beneficial to me, and I would never want anyone to do that to me. I just want to make one decision and stick with it.

Don't leave them hanging not only is it highly unprofessional but you also never know when you will encounter these people in your professional career and it may come back to hunt you. You really have a great opportunity I don't think you can go wrong this is something that is building you as a health professional, and will certainly give you an advantage over others in the next app cycle. Wait until last minute to see if you hear back from FSU, if you don't then I say you go with NIH

FSUCOM will always be there, this NIH opportunity won't. You should take this opportunity, it's one of those "once in a lifetime" things. You're also going to be able to make amazing connections there.

With that great MCAT score, you've opened up a lot more doors for yourself. I am sure that if you sent a letter to FSU saying that you love them and plan on reapplying after this NIH opportunity, they definitely would not look down on it. It would probably help you even get an outright acceptance when you reapply.

Or you might find out you want to go somewhere else. Having more research, a better MCAT, and a letter of rec from someone at the NIH only makes you a better applicant, and gives you more opportunities. There's no rush--med schools will always be around. Take some time for yourself, and do this program. You deserve it, after all the hard work you've put in.

You could even hang onto the Waitlist position, see what happens, and if you get into FSU, defer to begin next year, if you're positive you want to go there.
couldn't agree more

I see what you are saying, but it's really not a big deal at all to leave the position BEFORE you start it. If you started in mid-June then quit, then yes, I'd say that's a dick move. But I don't even think it's unprofessional at all to leave before starting, and you should consider that your goal is to attend medical school, not work for the NIH doing some menial research job barely above min wage. Think of the opportunity costs: an additional year of application fees, plus 200K+ in lost earnings.

Most waitlist movement occurs May 15-May 30, and if you can push back your start date to mid-June, by that point 100% of waitlist movement at FSU will have occurred, so you'd know whether you are in or not (since FSU starts in June).

Wait until like the end of the month if you can and then take the research opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.