NHSC Loan Repayment Program advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyCharms83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have seen atleast a half dozen bad reviews on the NHSC scholarship program, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the loan repayment program? I'm hoping that this might be worthwhile opportunity for me when I finish family practice residency (i'm just a MS-3 so that will be awhile). Although, I am a little bit apprehensive about the restrictions, and the HARSH penalties. I'm also curious about doing this while possible having small kids at the time, or even becoming pregnant at the time. I think it says something on the website about a 12- week maternity leave option, but how much of a nightmare would that be to arrange, I wonder.

Ahh the burden of my debt...just want to make it go away....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I only know a little about the loan repayment program but I did receive an NHSC scholarship and I think its awesome. I haven't had any problems with it at all, so I guess I'm curious what bad things you heard.

If you can get one and you have no problem going into primary care, well, its a no-brainer if you ask me. My scholarship is for two years of PA school and it amounts to roughly $100,000. I am not complaining...