NHSC giving worst locations to scholars, saving good ones for loan repayment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
she verified that there are indeed many more site possibilities than the ones listed on the website.

Hi Cali-- can you elaborate on what sites she is talking about? My understanding is the only way to get a site not on the list is to explore counties with an adequate HPSA score, then locate a clinic that meets the sliding-scale requirement that's not on the list, then get their clinic & the position approved.. which is a typically an involved process. Is that what she's talking about or?

She also stated that the score could change for the better (for us) in each coming year

She's candy-coating just a little here if you're starting service in 2010. At the conference it was stated in a presentation that a mid-service change of location needs to be approved by the NHSC, and that it's difficult to get approval to move a lower score site without a "very compelling reason."

True, clinic scores are changing, a lot of counties are in the process of being re-evaluated. Last I heard there was a serious backlog of HPSA score evaluations because of sites wanting approval for a ARRA loan repayment position.

Sheesh, it's a crazy year to be a scholar entering service! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel for those of you matching this year, I know it would be hard to face a change in the rules just as you're interviewing.

My parents deal (and work within) w/ the fed gov't, and I just want to say that none of this is really directed at scholars -it's not really about you, which is the problem.
It's about funding (there isn't much for analysts, you can look that up, if you care), and the arbitrary timeframes given for making and implementing decisions. Scholars are not well supported because the program is viewed as a dinosaur that cannot be eliminated for political reasons. In general, loan repayment gets NHSC a lot more bang for the buck, and the efficacy of that program vs scholarships has been demonstrated in many studies. So scholars continue to exist in small numbers w/ crappy support.

I actually agree w/ the snide analyst who suggested you contact your congressman -this was a frustrated employee who feels unable to do his/her job, trying to tell you that the reason you don't have help is because no one cares. Phone calls to representatives in states you want to be could help you get help. Be sure to explain that you have an "emergent, personal issue" you want help with, don't use email, and if possible, pay a visit to the rep's office. They may be able to help you make connections with the right people to get a position. This is ESPECIALLY true for people matching in 2011. You have time. For the 2010 people, they have less time, but it might be enough.

I would also try to get in touch with the state's community health clinic association, or primary care association, to see if they can help you. If a clinic who had a listing no longer has a position available, ask them about other practices in their area that may have positions, regardless of certainty about whether they qualify -they have time to get the paperwork done between now and your start date.

I'm looking at my scholarship as a step down from military service. They can't send me to a foreign country with people shooting in my direction, but basically everything else in on the table, including places where my spouse may not work at all due to lack of positions available. If you're a potential applicant reading this, I suggest you NOT apply for the scholarship if those are not acceptable terms for you. Take loan repayment instead. Plenty of underserved areas are offering fantastic "teaser" salaries to new grads, and you could pay your loans w/ that.

This is f-ing scary. I thought I hit the jackpot when accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just came to this thread cause LONG ago I considered IHS. But I was married and knew it wouldn't work with my family. If I were younger and single, I probably would have done it.
Why? Cause I spent from the age of 10 to 16 on the Navajo Rez 30 miles from Chinle (the first site on your list). Chinle was the big city we traveled to to go to a grocery store, where the milk was just as often sour as fresh. We lived 15 miles on a paved road, then another 15 miles on a dirt road out in Rough Rock. There was a one doc clinic there with one nurse. Dr. Gatch, I remember him sewing up my thumb and drinking whiskey with my parents who were teachers. THis was 75 to 1981. Some of the best years of my life growing up with kids whose second language was english. Some of them barley spoke it in high school.
You guys are in for a ride if you allow it. I'm sorry if you wanted to stay in some more civilized area. But believe me you can have a heck of an experience in some crazy places. And your families will too.
I'm sorry if the situation isn't as you planned. Make the most of it.
I ended up paying full tuition at a pvt med school. But I bought the freedom to pursue any interest I developed, and go anywhere I wished. Thought I was going to go into gen'l practice, ended up in a field I never dreamt of and now love, anesthesia. Live near Atlanta in a very nice suburb. I am not trying to rub anything in. I think if I were younger when I started med school, I'd love to be back out in Chinle or some other new adventure. Heck I saw plenty of Hawaii sites on that list.
When I was a senior in college I was freaking out cause I didn't know what I'd be doing a year from then. My mom's response I remember to this day: "Isn't that wonderful?"
She was right.
Embrace the uncertainty and make the most of it. It will be wonderful.

Hi Cali-- can you elaborate on what sites she is talking about? My understanding is the only way to get a site not on the list is to explore counties with an adequate HPSA score, then locate a clinic that meets the sliding-scale requirement that's not on the list, then get their clinic & the position approved.. which is a typically an involved process. Is that what she's talking about or?

She's candy-coating just a little here if you're starting service in 2010. At the conference it was stated in a presentation that a mid-service change of location needs to be approved by the NHSC, and that it's difficult to get approval to move a lower score site without a "very compelling reason."

True, clinic scores are changing, a lot of counties are in the process of being re-evaluated. Last I heard there was a serious backlog of HPSA score evaluations because of sites wanting approval for a ARRA loan repayment position.

Sheesh, it's a crazy year to be a scholar entering service! Good luck!

What you describe above is definitely one way to go about finding a site not on the list. I didn't get into a long discussion with the analyst, but I guess if your match person is actually helpful, they might be able to make that process a little less tedious. It does sound like a pain I know, but it is one pain I fully plan on enduring in order to find the site most suitable for me and my needs.
What is on the list is a starting point as far as I am concerned. Word of mouth is still a great way to find job opportunities, and if you are lucky enough to find a site that you like with an appropriate score, then I would try to sell yourself as much as possible to get them to hire you.

When I said scores can change, I wasn't being hopeful for those in this year's cycle. I am not in this year's cycle, but rather, in 2011, and even then, I may likely defer 1 year for fellowship, so hopefully by 2012 things will have gotten better:xf::luck:

Looks like we are all too busy to do anything about this abuse of scholars . I guaruntee you that come placement time ,and for the years following. We will all wish we had done our best to object to the way placement is being handled.

Keithslc

I received word today from an NHSC site that next year the score for qualifying as as scholar site will go up to 21 instead of 17 liked it was riased to this year. Congratulations on the Scholarship!

I know it's not the most helpful, but here's a site where you can search for HPSA scores by state or county. There seem to be more postings than on the NHSC Job Search site for whatever reasons. Maybe it will give everyone more ideas of where to look for those scarce qualifying jobs.

http://hpsafind.hrsa.gov/HPSASearch.aspx

I'm an MS2 who just got the scholarship, and I'm keeping an eye on this thread with a little bit of trepidation. Hopefully I'll still get SOME site choice by the time I'm in repayment! Good luck to everyone who's in the job search now!!