NHSC FQHC Questionable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevermind...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you take Medicaid?
Do you have a sliding fee scale for people without insurance?

Those are two things that are required. The other question is whether or not the HPSA score would be high enough to even give you a chance at loan repayment. So even if you did get qualified at your site, but your score was below 14 or 15, there wouldn't be much of a chance of getting any loan repayment. If it was even lower, it'd be pretty definite you wouldn't get selected.

So, to check, I'd get on the NHSC website and search for FQHCs in the area to see what the HPSA score in the area is, to see if it is even worth it. I think there is a mental health HPSA score, so make sure you are looking at that.

If your score is low, but you are working for a non profit, your best bet may be the 10 year public service loan forgiveness if your income makes that an option. States also may have their own loan repayment system you can look into.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you see what the HPSA score of nearby sites are? There is also a way to look up HPSA by geographical area, but last time I looked that tool was a little hard to make sense of. The other thing to consider is that sometimes satellite sites are grouped under the HPSA of the main site. For example, all of our sites have the same exact HPSA score. So that can also work in your favor. I don't exactly know when or why they do that, because it seems inaccurate or even unfair at times.

I would also check with your site. Have they ever applied to be a NHSC site?

I believe my present practice site could/should be a FQHC. It is not and NHSC phone reps state that it can't be not can there be one in my economically robust area well covered by private practice psychiatry. However, I see recurring ads, in my city, for another clinic that instructs the applicant that employees may qualify for NHSC loan forgiveness. Any ideas on how to best get my own shop credentialed so that we may become a FQHC? I think the site application window opens in the spring. The organization has other regional clinics that meet the right criteria. A colleague I graduated with had her loans forgiven.

Who owns your current practice site, and have you spoken to them about this?

Becoming an FQHC (or an FQHC look alike) is one thing. Continuing to stay as an FQHC means a long-term relationship with HRSA and the government, and that may require more paperwork and more headaches for your administration than they are willing to take on.

You have to start with the owner, because the decision to become an FQHC has to come from him/her, and from your board of directors.