This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a D1 Dental Student and I was fortunate enough to land the NHSC scholarship. I just wanted to create a thread to explain my current educational finance situation to hopefully serve as a reference for those contemplating this program in the future. I know I found these forums helpful in the past. Please voice your opinion, good or bad, to assist others who may be looking into ways to finance their professional education.

I accepted a 4 year scholarship with NHSC which full tuition, fees, books, etc., and a monthly net living stipend of approximately $1,100. I calculated the total value of the scholarship to be worth approximately $335,000, and of course in exchange I am obligated to work in an approved site for 4 years following graduation.

That $335,000 I would otherwise have to take out in student loans if financed over the course of 25 years at 6.0% interest (which is a conservative number as I believe the loans I was looking at were 6.8% interest) would have accrued approximately $312,000 in interest, which in puts my cost of education at nearly $650,000. My monthly student loan payment would be around $2,100 dollars a month for 25 years!

On top of that, most of my research has found starting dental salaries at NHSC approved sites to hover around $120,000/year plus benefits which in total is likely worth $170-180,000/year. As far as I know, these seem to be competitive entry level dental salaries without the burden of a pretty massive student loan debt. Sure, I am going to have limited job opportunities upon graduation but that was a risk I thought was worth the financial gain.

I know it is a competitive scholarship and not everyone will be fortunate enough to obtain it, but in my opinion I think it is worth at least applying to (for dental school at least, higher paid medical specialties may be a different story). I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this situation and I hope some of you find this thread helpful while making your own professional school decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
When is the application open for dental students going to school this fall? This March?
Is there anything I can do to prepare for the application? I think we need 2 letter of rec but that's all I found out.
Are the approved HRSA sites abundant in states like CA or more HRSA located in rural states?

When is the application open for dental students going to school this fall? This March?
Is there anything I can do to prepare for the application? I think we need 2 letter of rec but that's all I found out.
Are the approved HRSA sites abundant in states like CA or more HRSA located in rural states?
The application opens for everyone at the same time, which is most likely this March/April.
I would start on your essays. They don’t change from year to year and can be found in the application guide in the scholarship website (link directly to the guide is below):
https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/scholarships/nhsc-scholarship-application-program-guidance.pdf

There are a bunch of sites everywhere. I would look for specific areas on the Workforce Connector website:
Health Workforce Connector

Use the advanced search and put in a HPSA score of 18+ to get a good idea of the sites and openings now. They won’t be the same by the time you graduate, but it can give you a good idea as to location.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
H
Question: has the application opened yet? I keep checking but all the documents and stuff are for year 2018-2019. Has anyone.started applying on BSW portal yet?

Appreciate the responses!

Just with a quick search on the BHW website it says application cycle for 2020 is “opening soon.” So my guess is not yet. I frequented their website this time of year when I applied just to keep an eye on it to see when it opened. You could always call them as well to confirm. When it opens you’ll have plenty of time to complete the application.

Anyone know the chances of receiving this scholarship without a disadvantaged background? I'm really interested in giving back to my community after graudating and have already filled out the majority of this application.

Anyone know the chances of receiving this scholarship without a disadvantaged background? I'm really interested in giving back to my community after graudating and have already filled out the majority of this application.
Yeah good luck. I spent literally 2 whole years working exclusively with immigrants to help them with jobs, healthcare access, basic living assistance, etc, and I didn't get through the first round of applications. That said, I was fortunate to have received the Air Force scholarship, so it worked out, but still.

It's not impossible to get it without being disadvantaged, but it is rough.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah good luck. I spent literally 2 whole years working exclusively with immigrants to help them with jobs, healthcare access, basic living assistance, etc, and I didn't get through the first round of applications. That said, I was fortunate to have received the Air Force scholarship, so it worked out, but still.

It's not impossible to get it without being disadvantaged, but it is rough.
Not too rough. A lot rides on the essays so if you didn’t explain your background well enough or compelling enough, that could definitely have played a role. Letters are also pretty important so if your letters weren’t too strong, that also could have played a role. Like I said in another thread, I am very not disadvantaged and I got the four year scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
Not too rough. A lot rides on the essays so if you didn’t explain your background well enough or compelling enough, that could definitely have played a role. Letters are also pretty important so if your letters weren’t too strong, that also could have played a role. Like I said in another thread, I am very not disadvantaged and I got the four year scholarship.
I feel like you're probably the exception, not the rule. But then again, the way all these scholarships, admissions, acceptances, etc are awarded are beyond me :) I'm just trying to get through school and keep my family happy ha

I feel like you're probably the exception, not the rule. But then again, the way all these scholarships, admissions, acceptances, etc are awarded are beyond me :) I'm just trying to get through school and keep my family happy ha
I know this is more anecdotal than anything, but out of everyone I personally know who has gotten the scholarship (maybe around 10-12 people), only one is anything other than “advantaged.” I don’t think it matters as much as it seems. The mission of the scholarship program is about the patients served, not necessarily the ones serving. They do consider it, but only after everything else (it is third out of three in their “priority” selection factors).

Hey everyone! In the degree information section under professional discipline it asks for discipline and specialty. For example, the discipline is dentist and the specialties are general practice, geriatric, public health, and peds. Should you list dentist without a speciality (I'm in my D2 year) or speciality that you would want to go into? Is listing a specialty only if you had training/residency for it? I assume in dental school there will be options to "specialize" or prefer in these types of areas through electives or whatnot.

Hey everyone! In the degree information section under professional discipline it asks for discipline and specialty. For example, the discipline is dentist and the specialties are general practice, geriatric, public health, and peds. Should you list dentist without a speciality (I'm in my D2 year) or speciality that you would want to go into? Is listing a specialty only if you had training/residency for it? I assume in dental school there will be options to "specialize" or prefer in these types of areas through electives or whatnot.
You list what your current program is. You would be Discipline: Dentistry, Specialty: General Practice

Hey everyone, I am a D1 Dental Student and I was fortunate enough to land the NHSC scholarship. I just wanted to create a thread to explain my current educational finance situation to hopefully serve as a reference for those contemplating this program in the future. I know I found these forums helpful in the past. Please voice your opinion, good or bad, to assist others who may be looking into ways to finance their professional education.

I accepted a 4 year scholarship with NHSC which full tuition, fees, books, etc., and a monthly net living stipend of approximately $1,100. I calculated the total value of the scholarship to be worth approximately $335,000, and of course in exchange I am obligated to work in an approved site for 4 years following graduation.

That $335,000 I would otherwise have to take out in student loans if financed over the course of 25 years at 6.0% interest (which is a conservative number as I believe the loans I was looking at were 6.8% interest) would have accrued approximately $312,000 in interest, which in puts my cost of education at nearly $650,000. My monthly student loan payment would be around $2,100 dollars a month for 25 years!

On top of that, most of my research has found starting dental salaries at NHSC approved sites to hover around $120,000/year plus benefits which in total is likely worth $170-180,000/year. As far as I know, these seem to be competitive entry level dental salaries without the burden of a pretty massive student loan debt. Sure, I am going to have limited job opportunities upon graduation but that was a risk I thought was worth the financial gain.

I know it is a competitive scholarship and not everyone will be fortunate enough to obtain it, but in my opinion I think it is worth at least applying to (for dental school at least, higher paid medical specialties may be a different story). I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this situation and I hope some of you find this thread helpful while making your own professional school decisions.
Hi! I'm currently a D1 and was thinking about applying to this scholarship. I have a few questions regarding requirements. So, I'm from NYS which requires at least a one-year residency in order to be a licensed dentist. However, I go to dental school in PA where you do not need a residency to work as a licensed dentist. A girl in my class was awarded the HRSA NHSC scholarship and plans to work in an FQHC in PA right after graduation. I don't necessarily want to move back to NY after graduation, but I was wondering if working at an FQHC under this scholarship is considered equivalent to a residency? If not, what is the difference in experience you get from doing a residency then moving on to work at an FQHC vs working at an FQHC right after graduation? Are you doing a residency such as a GPR or AEGD or are you going straight to fulfilling your service requirement? Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm currently a D1 and was thinking about applying to this scholarship. I have a few questions regarding requirements. So, I'm from NYS which requires at least a one-year residency in order to be a licensed dentist. However, I go to dental school in PA where you do not need a residency to work as a licensed dentist. A girl in my class was awarded the HRSA NHSC scholarship and plans to work in an FQHC in PA right after graduation. I don't necessarily want to move back to NY after graduation, but I was wondering if working at an FQHC under this scholarship is considered equivalent to a residency? If not, what is the difference in experience you get from doing a residency then moving on to work at an FQHC vs working at an FQHC right after graduation? Are you doing a residency such as a GPR or AEGD or are you going straight to fulfilling your service requirement? Thanks in advance!
Working at an FQHC is not equivalent by way of the licensure requirement, but I would argue it is very similar by way of experience. With a residency, you are going more in depth in didactics and able to take on more cases with some oversight and someone who can bail you out if needed. Working at an FQHC you are likely doing more “reps” as far as procedures and able to take on more complicated cases as you feel more comfortable.
Personally, I was more than done with anything that felt like school, so I went straight into practicing at an FQHC as a solo dentist. That is how I preferred it. There are a lot of FQHCs where they either have a residency program running out of them, or have multiple dentists so you can get a similar experience while being paid significantly more. In the end, it is all about you and what you want to learn. If you are doing a residency just as a requirement, you may want to think about skipping it. If you are wanting to learn specific skills that you couldn’t get just from trying your hand at gradually more difficult cases (sedation, implants, full mouth rehab, needing hospital privileges) a residency might be better.

This is amazing thank you! I honestly did not want to do a residency, I was only going to do it because NYS requires it just in case I ever needed to move back. After you finished the FQHC requirement did you have any trouble finding employment elsewhere? I’m assuming not because it sounds like great experience, I’m just wondering if residencies are what employers are looking for or not

This is amazing thank you! I honestly did not want to do a residency, I was only going to do it because NYS requires it just in case I ever needed to move back. After you finished the FQHC requirement did you have any trouble finding employment elsewhere? I’m assuming not because it sounds like great experience, I’m just wondering if residencies are what employers are looking for or not
If that was the only reason you were going to do one, then you should be fine not doing one. Even if you want to go back to New York, you still should be fine. The residency requirement is essentially only for new grads since they allow you to get a license without one as long as you have been practicing at least 2 years in another state (NYS Dentistry:License Requirements).
I finished my scholarship commitment, but I am still at the same place for the loan repayment program. I actually am planning on staying here even after these next 2 years. My personal job search was not at all hindered by not having a residency. Right out of school, I had 3 offers at FQHCs no problem. After 3 years of practice, same thing, 3 offers, no problem, but significantly higher pay for my experience. With a residency, my salary would have only been about $3k higher, so I don’t feel like I missed out on too much. I don’t know how desired a residency is for private practice jobs because I’ve never looked for one, so I can’t speak to that. I have seen that residences may be more desired, even heavily desired, on the east coast, but that is just anecdotal. You can search for job openings right now and read the requirements to get a feel for what the market looks like right now.