NHSC commitment, then fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if this is done a lot to anyone's knowledge(doing IM, and practicing general IM for your HNSC term and then going into a subspecialty fellowship)? I know that there is the whole going from an attending ?fellow thing, but I was wondering if your chances at getting a good fellowship would be hindered by going out into practice for X years before applying? Could someone even expect to go gastro/cardio after fulfilling the NHSC thing? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A very good question which is one that I am thinking about. I am a NHSC scholar and will dedicate 2 years after IM residency. To answer your question, I think it all depends on how many years you serve. I think 4 years is pushing it. I have talked to some fellowship directors regarding this isssue, and had mixed reviews. Some liked the idea due to the extra experience, and some did not because you will lose contact with key people in the fellowship program. In order to take a spot, I believe that you need to show lots of interest, maintain your contacts, and do research when serving the committment.

Thanks for the reply. I hope to get some more info as I go through school. I didn't apply to the NHSC thing because I don' know what I want to do yet. I may want to specialize, surg, FP, I just don't think I can make a smart solid choice at this time. But, I do know that I want to pracice in a rural area, at least for a while. Thanks again!

For OP, if you are sure you want to do NHSC, don't worry about the fellowship question at this point because the more you think about it the more likely your thinking is to come through in NHSC application process, especially interviews. This could cost you your chance at the NHSC scholarship as I believe that it did me.

They want folks committed to primary care. You raise a good question but if you are committed to do NHSC anyway (maybe you are not) you can wait on the fellowship thinking ---- your feelings about cardiology could change also.