New York makes getting our License Easier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to a change in the way New York issues state dental licenses, it is possible for graduating seniors in the military to avoid taking the WREB, NERB, or other regional board exams. New York, no longer accepting reginoal board exams, will issue state dental licenses to those who have completed one year of post-graduate education in dentistry.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/dentlic.htm

While it is still recommended that we take a regional/state board exam, failing one will no longer be as dramatic as before. Military dentists have one year to obtain a state dental license after entering practice. Those specializing or receiving advanced education in an AEGD or GPR will be able to apply for state licensure in New York.

On the downside, you would not be eligible for Additional special pay or for duty overseas until a license is obtained.

I have heard that California is considering similar measures.

Members don't see this ad.

This is good information. On the other side, it seems that most people think the NERB is somewhat easier than the WREB. At any rate, it will be good if there was one licensing exam that could be taken and sanctioned in every state. I have never really understood the point of having so many different licensing exams, seemingly if there is no congruence on what good and bad dentistry comprises.

This is good information. On the other side, it seems that most people think the NERB is somewhat easier than the WREB. At any rate, it will be good if there was one licensing exam that could be taken and sanctioned in every state. I have never really understood the point of having so many different licensing exams, seemingly if there is no congruence on what good and bad dentistry comprises.

Our school claims a 50% passing rate of NERBS and a 90+% passing rate of WREB. However, the WREB is supposedly more stressful due to paperwork and time constraints.

I used to think having one national dental board exam was great, you know, for increased mobility around the states. However, if there is only one test, and that test is extremely hard, we may miss having the option of taking a test you consider to be easier. Having one test could be great, but there's plenty potential for getting screwed.