New York Eye and Ear NYEE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ey2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New York Eye and Ear has a reputation of being a malignant program but from what I saw there, all of the residents are smart, happy, outgoing—though they do work long hours. The attendings are helpful, always teaching. The surgical volume is great, many seniors have done 15PKs, 120+ cataracts, 20 vitrectomies, glaucoma procedures, most importantly, since they are a tertiary referral center, they get some of the more complicated cases which at the end of the day is more important than just volume of easy cases. Plus from day one, residents get surgical practice in their amazing wet lab so are much more comfortable with basic surgical technique by the time they get to the OR.

The resident housing is to die for…..Right in East Village, the most happening place in NYC with restaurants, bars, etc 24/7. Housing is cheap….probably less than ½ of what other people pay in the city which leaves much of your salary (which by the way seems to be a few thousand more than other programs in the city pay as well) left for enjoying the city…which in the area of East Village can go very far…..Very safe area, always people walking around.

NYEE is the best institution for clinical training in the north east!!!! Working in the ER, it seems their residents get autonomy and experience and three months into residency probably have seen more RDs, mac holes, retinal tears, ruptured globes and exotic eye conditions….Toxo, RP, cone-rod dystrophies, than many will see in three years.

There are many fellows at NYEE, but they only serve as an advantage! They do NOT compete with cases with residents because they work with the private attending patients but are always available for consults in the ER. From what I heard, there is a world of difference in terms of clinical/surgical acumen from residents graduating from NYEE compared to all the other NYC programs.

Members don't see this ad.

When people say the program is malignant what do they mean by that? I don't think there is anything wrong with working really hard. I personally had fun on 30 hour trauma calls. Is it malignant because they work all the time or they are mistreated?

When people say the program is malignant what do they mean by that? I don't think there is anything wrong with working really hard. I personally had fun on 30 hour trauma calls. Is it malignant because they work all the time or they are mistreated?

Generally a program is labeled as "malignant" because it mistreats it residents...not because residents work hard. I have heard NYEE is malignant from numerous residents at other rotations while on aways...along with Jules Stein. For whatever that is worth.

Why is ey2b advertising for a program if s/he plans to rank it high?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently Im doing my intern year so ranking it high is not an issue. In regards to being mistreated that never seemed the case to me. It just seemed to be working long hours--which is fine becuase from what i heard attendings in NYC/surroudings would rather hire an NYEE grad than any other grad in the city becuase they know their depth and breadth of expereince.

As a graduate, I can tell you that NYEE is not malignant. I do not know where this rumor started. The administration, residents and staff are all great. The surgical numbers are excellent and the clinic experience would be tough to match. In addition, New York is a very nice city. I think it is for sure one of the top programs in the country, and the notion that it is malignant is just silly and should be ignored.

anyone know where/what subspecialty recent grads matched from NYEE?

2009:

Fellowship in Cornea & External Disease, Weill Cornell-New York Presbyterian Hospital

Fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia

Fellowship in Retina at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York City

Fellowship in Cornea at University of California Los Angeles Medical Center

Fellowship in Retina at University of California Irvine

Private practice in New York City

Private practice in the New York area

Fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery with R.and D. Della Rocca, MD at NYEEI in New York, NY

Fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery with B. Soloway, MD at NYEEI in New York, NY

Fellowship in Pediatrics at Washington University in St. Louis, MO

Fellowship in Cornea / Uveitis at University of Wisconsin

Fellowship in ??? at University of California Davis Medical Center

Fellowship in Glaucoma at Wills Eye Hospital

Private Practice in TX

Last edited:
New York Eye and Ear has a reputation of being a malignant program but from what I saw there, all of the residents are smart, happy, outgoing—though they do work long hours. The attendings are helpful, always teaching. The surgical volume is great, many seniors have done 15PKs, 120+ cataracts, 20 vitrectomies, glaucoma procedures, most importantly, since they are a tertiary referral center, they get some of the more complicated cases which at the end of the day is more important than just volume of easy cases. Plus from day one, residents get surgical practice in their amazing wet lab so are much more comfortable with basic surgical technique by the time they get to the OR.

The resident housing is to die for…..Right in East Village, the most happening place in NYC with restaurants, bars, etc 24/7. Housing is cheap….probably less than ½ of what other people pay in the city which leaves much of your salary (which by the way seems to be a few thousand more than other programs in the city pay as well) left for enjoying the city…which in the area of East Village can go very far…..Very safe area, always people walking around.

NYEE is the best institution for clinical training in the north east!!!! Working in the ER, it seems their residents get autonomy and experience and three months into residency probably have seen more RDs, mac holes, retinal tears, ruptured globes and exotic eye conditions….Toxo, RP, cone-rod dystrophies, than many will see in three years.

There are many fellows at NYEE, but they only serve as an advantage! They do NOT compete with cases with residents because they work with the private attending patients but are always available for consults in the ER. From what I heard, there is a world of difference in terms of clinical/surgical acumen from residents graduating from NYEE compared to all the other NYC programs.

Great program - and yeah whoever said that malignant is not the right word is right - nothing like general surgery or anything...

Compared to other programs in NYC though - they seem to work the hardest. From a current friend who is a first year there: apparently there are no golden weekends - perhaps someone that has actually been there can comment. I know most other programs in the city you're on call 2 weekends out of 6, but the whole concept of no-golden-weekends in Ophtho i don't understand.

Compared to other programs in NYC though - they seem to work the hardest. From a current friend who is a first year there: apparently there are no golden weekends - perhaps someone that has actually been there can comment. I know most other programs in the city you're on call 2 weekends out of 6, but the whole concept of no-golden-weekends in Ophtho i don't understand.

They're phasing out Saturday clinic this year.

I hear that they still work Sat...pretty malignant from a friend who is a res there.

I hear that they still work Sat...pretty malignant from a friend who is a res there.

you just registered today and have 2 posts, both mentioning how bad NYEEI is. suspicious to say the least. did you really register just to let everyone know that its a malignant program?

you just registered today and have 2 posts, both mentioning how bad NYEEI is. suspicious to say the least. did you really register just to let everyone know that its a malignant program?

You gotta improve your chances to match by scaring off other applicants!

Generally a program is labeled as "malignant" because it mistreats it residents...not because residents work hard. I have heard NYEE is malignant from numerous residents at other rotations while on aways...along with Jules Stein. For whatever that is worth.

Why is ey2b advertising for a program if s/he plans to rank it high?
I feel like a lot of programs (and med schools) get this "malignant" label attached to them, and it's mainly by people complaining just because they have a higher volume of work. There may certainly be cases where residents are mistreated, but I'd like to believe that that is by far the exception. Residency is hard -- just deal with it?

Knowing full well that the bump likely came from a troll I would like to note I have heard negative things about NYEEI from current residents, not in terms of the quality and breadth of the training (which is top-notch) but in terms of attending interaction.

can anyone provide any updated comments on this program, in general?

Great name and breadth of pathology. However, going through a huge transition. Perhaps someone could comment who is closer to it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The whole Sinai system is going through a transition. Beth Israel, where NYEEI does consults and ROP screening, is closing and morphing into some kind of outpatient hospital. I see that Sinai has not offered interviews yet according to this SDN list you guys have going. I doubt that any change to NYEEI or Sinai will be negative, both are strong clinical programs, with NYEEI being the more academic/regarded one. From back when I interviewed, I remember Dr. Tsai saying that his intent was to have two separate and strong programs in NYC. He was brand new at that time though. What's going on behind the scenes now I do not know. Maybe someone at NYEEI or Sinai can elaborate.

NYEEI is a unique place. It is very far from malignant. The attendings are extremely devoted and approachable. You work hard. You are pushed to learn by the pathology that walks through that door. It is a name that is respected because of all of these things. It is by far the best program in New York. And depending on how you learn and what you are looking for, it is possibly also the perfect program for you. As a senior resident I can tell you that interviewing around the country I can recognize that there are not many other programs where you have primary surgeries like PKs, Combined PK/PPV/Tube, Orbital decompressions, iStents. You are not dependent on attending turnover. The opportunities for research are very much there. The wet lab is beyond amazing, and probably underutilized. The patients consider you their doctors, and that is both a huge responsibility and also a reward. I can tell you that residents that have graduated learn to appreciate the place a lot more because you realize you have been spoiled - the # of ORs, the opportunities to have the newest technology at our hands. There is access to Femto, ORA, MIGs, Premium Lenses, multiple phaco machines. Our recent graduates and our class included have gotten great interview offers. You will come out of this residency prepared for a lot more than you realize.
Now in regard to the transition: NYEEI is now part of the Mount Sinai network. Mount Sinai does acknowledge that NYEEI is a gem. They are working in their own way to find a way to put it in their kind of spotlight. I dont think NYEEI is going anywhere, because that would be silly on their behalf. But there are technical changes that are in the works, as are often the case with many programs. I wouldnt let that scare you away, but I would also be aware that certain specifics of the program may change. There are no plans for joining programs to our knowledge. Feel free to ask us questions in person if you are interviewing and we will be happy to answer. I still think that despite being in a more public atmosphere of transition, this will remain a great program because the legacy that it holds and because our patients need it to be.