Eye strain and migraine from slit lamp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassyfrog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get bad eye strain and migraines when using the slit lamp or scope? I have tried adjusting the oculars and making sure the diopters are set to 0 but still get bad eye strain which leads to migraines at the end of clinic. I have also tried looking at a far corner of the room and then looking into the scope, but it still feels like I'm accommodating every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get bad eye strain and migraines when using the slit lamp or scope? I have tried adjusting the oculars and making sure the diopters are set to 0 but still get bad eye strain which leads to migraines at the end of clinic. I have also tried looking at a far corner of the room and then looking into the scope, but it still feels like I'm accommodating every time.
download.jpg

You need to find a focusing / calibration rod and adjust your oculars (each eye individually) with these. Usually they're in the back of a bottom drawer somewhere in clinic and haven't seen daylight in decades.

What the above poster said with the calibration rod. Also, do you have converging or parallel optics? What brand?