New York Compounding Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macchiato2019

Reaction score
I am trying to study for the New York Compounding Exam scheduled in January 2020. However, I am from out of state and do not have any compounding experiences. Does anyone have advice on how to study for this 2 day exam?

Members don't see this ad.

My intern attended Dr. Cuties class last weekend and I don't believe its offered again before the January exam. You can still purchase his notes from his website though - which I totally recommend.

Try reaching out to other NY pharmacy schools to see if they have any review classes you can attend.

I have purchased Dr. Cutie's notes but I am worried about the practical portion. Is watching youtube tutorials on compounding sufficient? One of preceptors allow me to use his pharmacy hood to practice the IV portion. I wish I can take Dr. Cutie's class or review classes in NY, but I haven't moved yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Dr.Cuties notes I got from a friend which I would say gave me a bit of preparation for the compounding section but most my prep for it came from my pharmacist dumping all compounding at the store I used to work on me. The written portion however, best preparation for that part would probably be RxPrep and ismp's list of look-alike sound-alike drugs.

See if the school you plan on taking it is offering a tour of the compounding place cause that helps a lot. My tour offered me some darn good advice like prepare for the IV compounding stuff immediately because you never know when you would be called (I was one of the 1st 5 called in my session). You can also see what equipment you will be using on the exam there because mine used the electronic balance while my outdated Dr.Cuties notes used the very old scale with weights.

I used Dr.Cuties notes I got from a friend which I would say gave me a bit of preparation for the compounding section but most my prep for it came from my pharmacist dumping all compounding at the store I used to work on me. The written portion however, best preparation for that part would probably be RxPrep and ismp's list of look-alike sound-alike drugs.

See if the school you plan on taking it is offering a tour of the compounding place cause that helps a lot. My tour offered me some darn good advice like prepare for the IV compounding stuff immediately because you never know when you would be called (I was one of the 1st 5 called in my session). You can also see what equipment you will be using on the exam there because mine used the electronic balance while my outdated Dr.Cuties notes used the very old scale with weights.

Unfortunately, I don't have much practice with compounding except during my first year of pharmacy school. I have only made capsules, ointment, and suppositories once and that was 4 years ago. Compounding was not a focus during 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year. Even though I had rotation at a community pharmacy that offered a compounding service, I did not see any compounding prescriptions while I was there. All I have to work with is Dr. Cutie's notes and cross referencing the steps with youtube videos.

Is there time allowed for candidates to work on calculations before being called? There's so little detail on timing during the exam. I think there used to be a study guide on the New York State website but the blueprint was removed for updating?

Unfortunately, I don't have much practice with compounding except during my first year of pharmacy school. I have only made capsules, ointment, and suppositories once and that was 4 years ago. Compounding was not a focus during 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year. Even though I had rotation at a community pharmacy that offered a compounding service, I did not see any compounding prescriptions while I was there. All I have to work with is Dr. Cutie's notes and cross referencing the steps with youtube videos.

Is there time allowed for candidates to work on calculations before being called? There's so little detail on timing during the exam. I think there used to be a study guide on the New York State website but the blueprint was removed for updating?
You are given I think 15 or 30? minutes to do your write up before they start calling out for the IV. Does your school at least give you a chance to use the compounding room to practice? The usual structure of the compounding portion is 1 IV + random selected 2 of capsule, ointment/cream, or solution/suspension. There may be some curveballs like throwing in a suppository which I heard they did one year at my location but they had to drop it because the schools in the area don't teach making suppositories. From what I remember, the exam totaled around 6 hours? 3 hours each day since it was split into a written and compounding portion between the 2 days.

You are given I think 15 or 30? minutes to do your write up before they start calling out for the IV. Does your school at least give you a chance to use the compounding room to practice? The usual structure of the compounding portion is 1 IV + random selected 2 of capsule, ointment/cream, or solution/suspension. There may be some curveballs like throwing in a suppository which I heard they did one year at my location but they had to drop it because the schools in the area don't teach making suppositories. From what I remember, the exam totaled around 6 hours? 3 hours each day since it was split into a written and compounding portion between the 2 days.

My school doesn't have a compounding room for students to practice because compounding wasn't really part of the curriculum. I did manage to schedule an observation day at a compounding pharmacy to help me with non-sterile compounding portion. I'm not sure if it's enough. As for sterile compounding, I'm practicing my aseptic technique in a hood by drawing up different volumes from saline vials and injecting into saline IV bags. My preceptor was kind enough to let me use the space to get comfortable with working inside a hood.