New UWSA scaling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCCBCCAK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the subject stated, I have heard that UWSA did New scaling starting last year so they do not inflate the score as much as they used to.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about the factual evidence but there's anecdotal evidence. Theres a thread maybe 2 down from this one where the OP took both UWSAs scored in the 230s, took NBME 19 and scored a 205. Seems it's still overestimating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

I just took UWSA 1, so here was my breakdown. I hope this isn't too inflated, but at least this might help in figuring out if the scaling is more realistic in any capacity.

Approx. 3 digit : 260 (90th percentile)
Assessment score: 650
Raw % correct: 82% (131/160)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about the factual evidence but there's anecdotal evidence. Theres a thread maybe 2 down from this one where the OP took both UWSAs scored in the 230s, took NBME 19 and scored a 205. Seems it's still overestimating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Couldn't it be that NBME is under predicting these days? They also rescaled late last year.

I'm having a hard time finding lots of posts with UWSA1 info and results on the real exam. NBME does seem to be under predicting from the things I've seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Couldn't it be that NBME is under predicting these days? They also rescaled late last year.

I'm having a hard time finding lots of posts with UWSA1 info and results on the real exam. NBME does seem to be under predicting from the things I've seen.

UWSA 1 262
NBME (same day as form 1) 225
Real thing 249

I might be an outlier for variance but there you go.

UWSA 1 262
NBME (same day as form 1) 225
Real thing 249

I might be an outlier for variance but there you go.

Appreciate your data.

I think this falls into line with common thinking; NBME are under predicting but the UWSA (I think this goes for NBME as well) are difficult to predict when you get into the higher scores (>250).

From reading these posts, I think it's safe to say NBME under predict by 8-10 pts on avg and UWSA are pretty close to target score +/-4 points. Do you have any opinion on that?

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate your data.

I think this falls into line with common thinking; NBME are under predicting but the UWSA (I think this goes for NBME as well) are difficult to predict when you get into the higher scores (>250).

From reading these posts, I think it's safe to say NBME under predict by 8-10 pts on avg and UWSA are pretty close to target score +/-4 points. Do you have any opinion on that?

For step 1 the NBMEs are very predictive. I personally know several folks where I have seen there practice NBME score and real and they have all correlated +\- 3 with some scoring the exact same. And I mean seen with my own eyes not just what people post on SDN or elsewhere which should always be taking with a grain salt.

So i would def trust whatever you get on NBME over anything. I never took UWSA. NMBE writes your STEP 1 exam and has like 5 them available for step 1. If you consistently get over 250 on those exams while taking them in test taking conditions. Thats the closest you can get to a guarantee of scoring above a 250.

I thought uwsa were a waist of time for a score that in my opinion didn't really mean ****. And IMO there style of questions were not similar to nbmes or the real exam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user