new to this place!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverandblack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm new to this forum and I have a bunch of questions about studying optometry! Firstly, I would like to ask what your opinions are on when it is truly too late to apply to an optometry school. Is it possible to really put a date on it? I am writing the OAT in February, and I am hoping to complete all of my applications this week... have I drastically decreased my chances of being admitted?

Members don't see this ad.

more info about what you've done, and where you plan on applying. it is hard to put a date on it, since it varies with each school.

Hey! Thanx for the response! I have a degree from UofAlberta in Microbiology (that's why I emailed you thinking that I might have known you). Now I'm at McMaster University doing a second degree in Health Studies... ummm... what else can I say... I've done a buncha research ... volunteer work... stuff like that... I play varsity football here at MAC... I'm not really sure if that's the sort of info you're asking about. My grades are relatively good (in my opinion); I think I'm around the average GPA accepted last year for a lot of the schools. I'm applying to ICO, Boston, Penn, SCCO and SUNY! I've been studying quite a bit for the OAT... I wrote the MCAT about 400 years ago, and it went very well, so hopefully I'll be able to say the same about this exam. I'm 27 years old and I have no idea what these schools think of more mature(ish) students like me.

Anyways, any info, advice or comforting words that could be given would be appreciated!

Thanx!
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by silverandblack
Hey! Thanx for the response! I have a degree from UofAlberta in Microbiology (that's why I emailed you thinking that I might have known you). Now I'm at McMaster University doing a second degree in Health Studies... ummm... what else can I say... I've done a buncha research ... volunteer work... stuff like that... I play varsity football here at MAC... I'm not really sure if that's the sort of info you're asking about. My grades are relatively good (in my opinion); I think I'm around the average GPA accepted last year for a lot of the schools. I'm applying to ICO, Boston, Penn, SCCO and SUNY! I've been studying quite a bit for the OAT... I wrote the MCAT about 400 years ago, and it went very well, so hopefully I'll be able to say the same about this exam. I'm 27 years old and I have no idea what these schools think of more mature(ish) students like me.

Anyways, any info, advice or comforting words that could be given would be appreciated!

Thanx!
:)

microbiology degree from UofA --> kickass
research/volunteer work/sports --> definite bonus
If you've been to the UofA and went to MAC, you must have good grades.
Your age -->wont be a concern.

You will be fine, the OAT is easier than the MCAT...at lest from watching what my friends have studied. The MCAT is a different experience. Just be certain optometry is for you, read up in the boards, cuz theres tons of info!

Although, you are pushing the deadline date. have you got everything ready for it? good school choices. I know ICO/Boston is Canadian friendly.

Thanx! I've been reading the boards for a while now actually, but I've only now decided to jump in and start posting. I'm really interested in optometry, and I've gotten a bunch of info from friends who are in it and who have recently graduated. I'm confident that this is what I want to do so I guess getting in is the next step. Btw, congrats on the recent interview news!

I should have everything complete for my applications by this Friday. I believe that SUNY is due Feb 15 and the rest are in March but I understand that I am pushing it a bit!

Anyways, thanx again for the info and advice.

Silverandblack, UHCO is thinking of extending their deadline, since the application pool is low this year.

"UHCO is thinking of extending there deadline, since application pool is low this year." That's not the only school that has a low applicant pool again this year. Try SUNY, Newenco and others. What does this tell you about prospective applicants and the future of optometry?
Welcome to my world.
But then............not many believe me. +pity+

Hey silverandblack,

great to hear another canadian who is applying to optometry school late. I just applied to PCO in December and am writing the OAT this February. I got my letter of invitation for an interview at the end of December. Scheduled my interview for reading week at the end of February. So it's not too late! I just hope that the OAT goes well... Any news from the schools you applied to so far? Did you apply to Waterloo?

Hey Ames! Actually, I just got my applications in VERY recently... :eek:

I hope to hear from the schools in the next little while. I did not apply to Waterloo or Montreal... did you?? I spoke to the people at UHCO (on the advice of some of the others on this board), and I found out that they will be considering applications from people writing the February OAT.

Where else did you apply? I've also applied to SCCO, SUNY, NEWENCO and ICO.

By the way, good luck with the PCO interview... congrats!

Where do you go to school? What are you taking? It's good to hear that there is someone in a similar situation.

Best of luck...:D :cool: :D

AMES,

My last name is Ames. We might be related because we can trace back the Ames line all the way back to the "old country."

Hey silver,

I didn't apply to waterloo or montreal. I only realized in my 4th year that I'm interested in optometry and I don't have all the prereqs for UW. I only applied to PCO so far. My boyfriend is in 1st yr there and he loves it. I've checked out the facilities and they're top notch. Everything was recently renovated and they have tons of equipment so no one has to fight for it. I've heard a little about NEWCO and Illinois, but didn't apply there. I guess i'm putting all my eggs in one basket!

I'm in 4th yr honours microbiology & immunology at U of Western Ontario. So we share some micro background ;)

I'm kinda cramming for the OAT right now, with a week and a half to go. I only started studying for it this month. But i wrote the mcat last summer and it went ok. I'm hoping that experience will help with the oat.... any tips?

Ames

ps, my last name isn't ames :p

24 HOURS!!!!:eek: :eek: :( :( :eek: :( :eek: :eek:

Good luck Ames! Hope it goes well... I can't wait till it's over!!!

+pissed+

silverandblack