New SGU Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredofwaiting

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious to know a few things. Hopefully, this thread can bring people up-to-date.

1. How many students apply to SGU for the Winter and then Fall. Of those who apply how many are accepted. What are the admissions numbers?

2. Of those who succeed at SGU, how many transfer from SGU back to a US school. What schools are known to accept SGU students?

3. Does SGU have these stats under "lock and key" or are they available through the university somehow?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't intend to go to SGU. But I've read alot about it from other forums, etc. Even got an interview for SGU, but I turned it down cuz it was too expensive for me. Anyways...

1. How many students apply to SGU for the Winter and then Fall. Of those who apply how many are accepted. What are the admissions numbers?
If you read a thread further down, you will discover that the acceptance rate for SGU is around 20-25%. So this 20-25% makes up the 300-400 students who are accepted into SGU every semester.

2. Of those who succeed at SGU, how many transfer from SGU back to a US school. What schools are known to accept SGU students?
Transferring is a hit and miss procedure. There is no school with a specific track record in accepting SGU transferees. All depends on how many spaces are availble at any school, and the number of applicants to those limited spaces. I'd wager around 5 SGU students/academic term are successful transferees to US schools. I think you'd have a better chance applying for admissions to a US school than applying for transfer into one.

3. Does SGU have these stats under "lock and key" or are they available through the university somehow?
Admissions stats should be open and public. Try doing that for USMLE stats. I know for a fact that AUC USMLE stats are kept lock-tight. Except for first time pass rate, you pretty much won't know the mean, median, mode, standard deviation, etc. So much for trying...

My 3cents.

Lotsof77 said:
Transferring is a hit and miss procedure. There is no school with a specific track record in accepting SGU transferees. All depends on how many spaces are availble at any school, and the number of applicants to those limited spaces. I'd wager around 5 SGU students/academic term are successful transferees to US schools. I think you'd have a better chance applying for admissions to a US school than applying for transfer into one.
There are some schools that do consistantly take SGU students as transfers(ex. George Washington has taken 1-2 students per year for the last 4 years), but on the whole the estimate is probably correct. The number of students that transfer per year is available from the Dean of Students office at SGU(stats I saw went back to 1999, but I'm sure they have earlier info on file). Generally the people who are sucessful at transferring were close to getting into a US school in the 1st place(were on wait-lists and didn't make it off), but the chances of getting in to a US school straight is still pretty small (something like 2-5% of all applicants matriculate). You can't go to SGU(or any of the Caribbean schools for that matter) with the plan of transferring- if it works, it works, but you have to be ok with the idea that you will graduate as an FMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
About half of all US applicants get into an LCME school...check the education issue of JAMA for the latest stats. Not a small chance, IMO.

rokshana said:
There are some schools that do consistantly take SGU students as transfers(ex. George Washington has taken 1-2 students per year for the last 4 years), but on the whole the estimate is probably correct. The number of students that transfer per year is available from the Dean of Students office at SGU(stats I saw went back to 1999, but I'm sure they have earlier info on file). Generally the people who are sucessful at transferring were close to getting into a US school in the 1st place(were on wait-lists and didn't make it off), but the chances of getting in to a US school straight is still pretty small (something like 2-5% of all applicants matriculate). You can't go to SGU(or any of the Caribbean schools for that matter) with the plan of transferring- if it works, it works, but you have to be ok with the idea that you will graduate as an FMG.

prefontaine said:
About half of all US applicants get into an LCME school...check the education issue of JAMA for the latest stats. Not a small chance, IMO.

That is inaccurate. I know that for sure!

I think he means that individually, each school has a 5-10% rate of acceptance. But since each individual applies to more than 1 school, in the end, 1/2 of them end up getting accepted somewhere. :rolleyes: