New SFMatch CAS application format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started filling out my app today and it looks different than the way ppl mentioned in the past. For example, I thought under the research part it had like 10 (or whatever # it was) blank spaces to fill out so ppl felt pressured to fill it out completely. Now every part has a huge text box. There's one huge text box for your research activities. The only part that actually has 10+ spaces to possibly fill out is the employment part. Is this how it used to be or do you think they changed to prevent ppl from filling every box with crap?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing changed, that's how it was in the past too. Just giant text boxes. I think the idea is that you have the freedom to format it however you like.

Nothing changed, that's how it was in the past too. Just giant text boxes. I think the idea is that you have the freedom to format it however you like.

I see. Did you list your test date and score return date for Step 2? I'm not having it instantly sent until I see the score first. Probably best to leave it blank then?

Did you fill in your 2-digit step 1 score? The nbme no longer reports them period as of April and stopped sending them to ERAS two years ago. Sfmatch is a bit outdated. I don't want anyone incorrectly using it as a percentile but I also don't want ppl to be suspicious for not reporting it. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take Step 2 until after interviews were completely over and I didn't ever send an update or anything. I do remember there being somewhere on there where I could say that I had scheduled Step 2 and put when I planned to take it. Ended up taking it earlier than I put on there.

I put my 2 digit score on there and nobody ever said anything about it. I don't know if it is commonly mistaken for a percentile or not. You've got two scenarios here where someone could ask you about it: someone sees that you left it blank or someone sees it, thinks that it's a percentile. If they think it's a percentile you can briefly explain that it is not a percentile but if they ask why it's blank you'll have to tell them that you basically didn't trust them to understand that it wasn't a percentile. In my opinion the first conversation is the easier one to have so I'd put it on there.

I didn't take Step 2 until after interviews were completely over and I didn't ever send an update or anything. I do remember there being somewhere on there where I could say that I had scheduled Step 2 and put when I planned to take it. Ended up taking it earlier than I put on there.

I put my 2 digit score on there and nobody ever said anything about it. I don't know if it is commonly mistaken for a percentile or not. You've got two scenarios here where someone could ask you about it: someone sees that you left it blank or someone sees it, thinks that it's a percentile. If they think it's a percentile you can briefly explain that it is not a percentile but if they ask why it's blank you'll have to tell them that you basically didn't trust them to understand that it wasn't a percentile. In my opinion the first conversation is the easier one to have so I'd put it on there.

Yeah, the problem is I don't see the first scenario actually going like that. I don't think they'll mention that they think it is a percentile. They'll just automatically screen you based on thinking it is a percentile. Ppl who think it's a percentile will already have it engrained in their heads. They have no reason to second guess themselves and doublecheck with you if it's a percentile or not haha.

I just wish I had been given a 99 rather than 85 like ppl in the 220s randomly get. I should probably just ask my program what they think, but I already know the chair thinks it is a percentile lol. It came up in conversation once before and after I explained it to him, he still said "but can you imagine someone with a 99? You can't beat." :eek:

This question keeps coming up for me. Mainly because I'm banking on my Step 1 to get me interviews because I think my grades will weigh me down. Not AOA and probably in the 2nd quartile. Step 1 is right at the average for ppl who matched, which makes me not worried about getting interviews as long as they don't misinterpret the one good/decent thing I have lol. My research experience on my app is at least adequate but nothing like ppl on here with 5+ pubs. So yea, banking on that Step 1.

Last edited: