New program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheerstress

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One place with a table at the residency fair that just got approved is one at the U. of Florida in Gainesville.

Dr. Ferguson, the program director, said that he can't quite advertise yet, so their website isn't up to date, but I thought I'd let everyone here know about it:

http://emergency.med.ufl.edu

Members don't see this ad.

Are they going to be accepting people this yr? Or just for next yr?

Acctually they have NOT gotten approval. Yet. They expect too in the next month or so and do hope to have a class starting in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this would be a place to apply to later in the process? Or will they just not participate in ERAS. Just wondering...

I know they will do what they want but I just wondered if people can comment on hwo other newer programs did? Quinn at USF or anyone at Utah?

EctopicFetus said:
So this would be a place to apply to later in the process? Or will they just not participate in ERAS. Just wondering...

I know they will do what they want but I just wondered if people can comment on hwo other newer programs did? Quinn at USF or anyone at Utah?

Yeah, if anyone has an answer to that question, I'd be very interested in knowing how'd they fill the class. Would they join ERAS late? Or fill outside the match? Or just put it off a year?

Thanks,
Chet

CS_22 said:
Yeah, if anyone has an answer to that question, I'd be very interested in knowing how'd they fill the class. Would they join ERAS late? Or fill outside the match? Or just put it off a year?

Thanks,
Chet

Last year U of U was in the same boat -- you had to apply separate from ERAS with a hard copy sent, but they interviewed during the normal time and filled their slots in the match.

And, for what it's worth, I was totally impressed with the program although I did not end up there...

does anyone know what UF will be doing? have they announced? When will they announce>

EctopicFetus said:
does anyone know what UF will be doing? have they announced? When will they announce>

I'll try tomorrow to see if I can get ahold of the program to see how its going to be handled. If I find out, I'll let everyone know.

CS

CS_22 said:
I'll try tomorrow to see if I can get ahold of the program to see how its going to be handled. If I find out, I'll let everyone know.

CS

Okay, I got ahold of them this morning, and here's what I know.

Officially, its not up and running yet because they're waiting for approval and should know "for sure" in 4 weeks. As a matter of fact, when I first called they said that they can't give any information out, but if I'd call back in 4 weeks they'd be able to answer my questions. Nevertheless, I pressed...

So, what they could tell me, is that they're expecting approval in four weeks, and if all goes according to plan, they'd be added to ERAS as shortly after approval as possible. If, for some reason, they take longer than four weeks or can't get on ERAS in time, then they may have to consider going to paper applications. BUT, they have every intention of starting a class in July. The coordinator basically told me to keep an eye out on ERAS towards the end of October (oh, and they'll be pretty behind everyone else in terms of interviews and all - but they knew that), and if they keep not showing up, to just give her a call back because it doesn't mean the approval wasn't there, it may be they had to go to the back-up plan and have to do paper apps.

Any questions?

CS

CS,

Great bit of investigative journalism! Thanks a lot man.

Sorry I wasn't able to follow up on my initial post - been busy...

Here's Dr. Ferguson's e-mail - he could probably answer any Qs you might have: [email protected]

Sheerstress said:
Sorry I wasn't able to follow up on my initial post - been busy...

Here's Dr. Ferguson's e-mail - he could probably answer any Qs you might have: [email protected]

I saw this post yesterday and e-mailed Dr Ferguson and here's his reply:

Thanks for your interest in our program. We are all excited
about it. We are too late to get into ERAs but we WILL be in the match.
If you can print a hard copy of your ERAs appl send it and your other
material ( dean's letter, USMLE etc. ) to me at
1600 Archer Rd
PO Box 100186
Gainesville, FL 32610
When we have completed file we'll set interview schedule.
Thanks for your interest
KLF

Kevin L. Ferguson MD FACEP
Director of Graduate Medical Education
Associate Program Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Florida-Gainesville

Hope that helps for those of you who are interested.

Yes, UF Gainesville has been officially approved, and are accepting applications for this interview cycle. They are a 1-3 program and will take 6 residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
TXchick said:
Yes, UF Gainesville has been officially approved, and are accepting applications for this interview cycle. They are a 1-3 program and will take 6 residents.

oops I meant 8 residents (that's what they told me at least)

GeneralVeers said:
I wonder if they need 2nd year residents? If so I know about 14 of us who will probably need a home at the start of next year.
Word I got was UF Jax will still send it's upper level residents to gainesville.

GeneralVeers said:
Oh well, there's always Las Vegas. :cool:
Speaking of Vegas, I'm starting a new thread on that subject today.

GeneralVeers said:
Oh well, there's always Las Vegas. :cool:

You should check anyway. It's often done.

BKN (program director)

Bump...

Anyone hear anything from UF-Gainesville yet? I applied there on a whim, via a paper application. No news yet, not even a letter of confirmation....

-Scott

I got the EM Today newsletter/email yesterday from ACEP, which had the following information:

"The ACGME recently granted provisional certification to the University of Florida for an emergency medicine residency program at its main campus in Gainesville. The three-year residency program - the 135th accredited by the ACGME – is now taking applications for its eight slots available in the upcoming 2006 National Resident Matching Program.

Please visit the program’s Web site at http://emergency.med.ufl.edu for more information."

Hope that helps. I hadn't seen their website, so I thought I would post it here.

As a UF-Jax resident, I also can confirm that the program has been approved and will be accepting residents through the match this year. From what I've heard they're only taking 8 interns, not filling upper classes. They have some really great faculty (Dr. Seaberg was recently elected to the ACEP board) and they are all pretty easygoing, so if you're interested, have sent info and haven't heard anything, give them a call.

From what I've heard, next year, they will likely still have UF-Jax PGY2s rotating as the senior residents as they do currently.

Best of luck.

Can curiosity kill the cat? I am an intern in an EM program now. HOWEVER>......would love to get back to Florida where I am from. What is the process if I were wanting to learn more about UF? How receptive do you think they might be in having someone willing to repeat intern year in order to be home? Would i have to shoot myself in the foot of my current program in order to find out these answers?

So the new program at UF-Gainesville offered me an interview. Not sure yet if I'm going to take it, but here is the letter if anyone is curious. For a previous poster who asked, it does sound like they are taking PGY 2 and 3 residents from other programs.

Letter from program follows:
Dear Emergency Medicine Candidate:

I have reviewed your application and I’m impressed with your credentials. It is an honor to offer you an interview for one of our Emergency Residency positions. The interview season here at UF is from December until early February. During that time, we interview on Fridays except around the December holidays. The following dates are available: December 16th, January 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th. Because of the deadlines for those involved in the match we will preferentially schedule current students in December and January slots and post-graduate candidates in January and the first week of February. To arrange an interview, please call Mary Anne Randall at 352-265-5911 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm EST Monday through Friday.

Attached you will find a copy of our Resident Benefits letter, area hotel list and directions to our office. We are easy to find, just 2-1/2 miles east of I-75 off exit 284 (Archer Road). There is a campus map at: http://campusmap.ufl.edu/files/map.html.
You may also visit our website at: http://emergency.med.ufl.edu.

The evening before your interview day, there will be an informal dinner with some of our faculty and residents at a local restaurant. Please be in the lobby of the hotel at 6:30pm. If you are traveling with a spouse or significant other, they, too, are invited to dinner. Please let us know whether or not you will be able to attend the dinner so we can better plan the evening.
Page 2

The interview day will have a morning and an afternoon session with all candidates together for lunch. The morning interview group will begin in the Dept of Emergency Medicine office where you will have breakfast with the residents and the Program Directors followed by your interviews. We will provide lunch, a tour of the ED and Shands.

The afternoon group will begin with lunch in Shands, the tour and then the interviews. If you are driving to Gainesville be advised that parking is very difficult. We recommend using the valet parking in the front of the hospital. You will be given a Valet Parking voucher at your interview. If you are arranging other interviews with Florida programs, please inform us if morning or afternoon interviews work best with your travel plans when you call.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Mary Anne Randall, our Program Coordinator, by any of the following means:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 352-265-5911, Fax: 352-265-5606.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kevin L. Ferguson, MD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Residency Program Director &
Director Graduate Medical Education