Another new residency program: UTMB (Galveston, TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aaaaand the downward spiral continues. UTMB is a legit training institution, and I've wondered why they haven't sprouted an EM residency until now...

I guess will all of the questionable residency programs popping up (Baylor All Saints in FW, 11,000 HCA residencies in Florida and Alabama), they decided it was time to add even more debt-saddled residency graduates into the mix.

So, what's your exit plan besides working more clinical shifts?

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.57.46 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB used to have an EM program once upon a time. Then Galveston got pounded by hurricane Ike, and that was the end of that program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaand the downward spiral continues. UTMB is a legit training institution, and I've wondered why they haven't sprouted an EM residency until now...

I guess will all of the questionable residency programs popping up (Baylor All Saints in FW, 11,000 HCA residencies in Florida and Alabama), they decided it was time to add even more debt-saddled residency graduates into the mix.

So, what's your exit plan besides working more clinical shifts?

View attachment 343555

Yeah utmb had a pretty decent program. Ike had Galveston 8 feet under water, the program i guess took a decade to come back. Bad time to start a program but the training there will be decent.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter if this would be the best training hospital in the country. We don't need anymore EM programs. People are continuing to underestimate the severity over the oversupply.

Reactions: 3 users
From JournalFeed:

This study used estimates based on current data as well as a sensitivity analysis to project the future supply and demand. The study assumed that supply = demand in 2018, considered the “base year.” They determined that the most likely case assumes 2% annual growth in residents graduating and 3% annual attrition of practicing providers. 20% of encounters will be seen by APPs (compared to 15% in 2018), and emergency department visits will increase by 11.2%. These percentages were agreed upon by the task force using a modified Delphi approach. If true, there will be an excess of 7,845 EM doctors in 2030.