Finding a good PCP job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a PGY2 coming close to looking for jobs and talking to my seniors. My question is, how do you find a good PCP gig? For hospitalist it seems straightforward, google hospitals then call them and ask who provides coverage, then ask the group if they have any needs. It seems like most good PCP jobs are not advertised, especially ones with partner track, with reasonable pay.

How do you find these jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a PGY2 coming close to looking for jobs and talking to my seniors. My question is, how do you find a good PCP gig? For hospitalist it seems straightforward, google hospitals then call them and ask who provides coverage, then ask the group if they have any needs. It seems like most good PCP jobs are not advertised, especially ones with partner track, with reasonable pay.

How do you find these jobs?

Define 'good'.

Reactions: 2 users
Use your connections from residency. Talk to your attendings and PD especially if you want to stay in the area that you trained. If you are looking for a position outside of where you trained, it does get more difficult. You can find jobs through recruiters, job listing sites, calling clinics, etc. Majority of people do not stay in their first job. First position does not have to be your last job

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Define 'good'.
This is really the key.

Want to be fast and see a lot per day and maybe work 4 days a week? There’s a job for that.

Want to see fewer patients per day 5 days a week? There’s a job for that

Want to only see medicare advantage? There’s a job for that

Want to round in the hospital? Harder to find these days but there’s a job for that too

Use your connections and look at the websites for the local healthcare systems. Jobs are out there

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Family, friends, med school connections, co-residents, former residents, attendings, etc. Even cold-calling, if not directly successful, may lead you down another road. You're correct, often the good jobs aren't advertised. If you're moving to unfamiliar territory, wouldn't hurt to get a simple employed job to get a lay of the land and plugged into the community. All this can be said for any specialty, not just pcp.

Reactions: 2 users
High volume private practice in which I can become an equity partner. Good payor mix no Medicaid.
Those jobs are out there but being IM trained will be slightly harder to find. You would probably have good luck searching out private multi-specialty groups that include primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're moving to unfamiliar territory, wouldn't hurt to get a simple employed job to get a lay of the land and plugged into the community. All this can be said for any specialty, not just pcp.
Easier said than done IMO in the era of “standard can’t change it” non-competes

Those jobs are out there but being IM trained will be slightly harder to find. You would probably have good luck searching out private multi-specialty groups that include primary care.

Is there a good way to find these groups?

I had a job like that. I googled pcp practices where I was going ( knew the specific location due to family) and looked at different practices close to home. I found a multi specialty group and I just emailed my CV to HR and they contacted me.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a job like that. I googled pcp practices where I was going ( knew the specific location due to family) and looked at different practices close to home. I found a multi specialty group and I just emailed my CV to HR and they contacted me.

Ok I’ll do this thanks.