New Ortho Residency at NSU for 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crisp319

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from the University of Southern Nevada announcing their new ortho residency and seeking applicants for the first class beginning August 2008. Since I figure anyone who didn't match into an ortho program, there may be other people interested in this opportunity.

Being apart of this group, I'm very interested and am in the process of sending off my application. But I have a few concerns, and wonder if there is anyone else in the same boat?

Why I think the program is worthwhile:

- 3 year program
- Graduates earn a CAGS and MBA degree (the MBA seems more useful than an MSD!)
- no GRE requirement (good)
- and they offer a 1-year internship (in case you don't get in)
- the program's website is http://www.usn.edu/dental/directors-message for more info

My doubts of the program:

- it's not accredited yet. NSU is receiving applications now until April 7. Then CODA will hold a site visit for initial accreditation. A week later, NSU will invite people to interview. The first class will start in August 2008.

My concerns: is this too fast for a program to be up and running? What will happen if the first class gets in, starts, and the program fails to gain accreditation?

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

A

Last edited:
Do you get to pay a hefty sum for the privilege of an internship spot?

What are you supposed to do with an MBA as a clinical orthodontist? Do you get to pay for this privilege too? That sounds like a waste of time to me. We are a 3 year program as well, and I would hate to attend a mandatory MBA program on top of doing ortho residency. I'd rather use that time to read, relax, moonlight, or take some dental-business classes than sit through a bunch of MBA stuff.

What is the proposed tuition for this program?

It seems so easy to get CODA to approve ortho residencies, it makes accreditation in ortho seem worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
A

Last edited:
anyone thinking of ortho, do the background checks and stay the heck away. this program makes no sense at all. what an embarrassment to the profession. do you think he'll even get initial accreditation?

I googled Dr. Hurst and Dr. Jaleh Pourhamidi, both were given the boot from UNLV. What did they do at UNLV that caused them to have problems with their accreditation? The articles make it out that them expressing less than flattering views of the ortho program there at the time rub in the wrong way with the board of regents.:confused:

Why would anyone want to come in on a Saturday or Sunday and teach a bunch of residents? I really can't see what you could do in ortho for 3 years to make it a 24-7 residency, even if you have to do all of your own labwork. Sounds like a lot of worthless busywork going on, like the MBA.

I would stay away and try the match again next year. At least by then you'd know if this program is going to get initial accreditation and if it does, how the residents are faring in its first few months.

We've heard a lot of negative things about Dr. Chester. Is there anyone else who had a positive experience with him? Was he ousted from San Antonio too? Wasn't that a good program while he was the PD?

Anyone hear anything new about this program?

I googled Dr. Hurst and Dr. Jaleh Pourhamidi, both were given the boot from UNLV. What did they do at UNLV that caused them to have problems with their accreditation? The articles make it out that them expressing less than flattering views of the ortho program there at the time rub in the wrong way with the board of regents.:confused:

Oh, you people attending this residency are going to have one wild ride. You have to ask yourself if you're an orthodontic resident or a pawn in someone's sick egomaniacal game?

All I can say is that most of you will be lucky to get into this program. Including an MBA is a great idea - gryffindor - why would you rather take silly dental business classes when you can get a real business education with an MBA?

As far as Dr. P and Dr. H "getting the boot" from UNLV, more was going on than you probably know. They pretty much said that the program was being mismanaged and the leadership either needed to make serious changes or need to be changed. Apparently, the Board didn't like the honest evaluations so, they decided to resign and start the program at USN. I knew Dr. P in the past, and I still consider her the smartest person that I have ever met. You would all consider yourselves lucky to be taught by someone of her caliber.

A

Last edited:
I recently interviewed at the USN for the ortho program and I am to hear back from them in a few days. Everyone is saying bad things and to stay away from the program, and that the PD is not good and has done some not so ethical things in the past. The problem that I am having with the postings is that with all of the bad things that everyone has to say about Dr. P and Dr. H no one actually is giving any actual events or saying what they actually did. It sounds to me that no one actually knows want the truth is and what is not. If you have any information that you would like to share with me about why I shouldn't invest my time and money into this program and don't want to share it on the forum you can email me directly at [email protected]. It would be much appreciated.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
why would you want a "real" MBA? learning to do fair market valuations, discounted cash flows, brand management, corporate strategy, reading all those HBS case studies, etc..... seems like a waste of time for someone who wants to be an orthodontist.

why would you rather take silly dental business classes when you can get a real business education with an MBA?

The problem that I am having with the postings is that with all of the bad things that everyone has to say about Dr. P and Dr. H no one actually is giving any actual events or saying what they actually did. It sounds to me that no one actually knows want the truth is and what is not.

1) They were involved with a program that was a complete failure.

2) Former residents from that program are telling you to stay away from them.

I'm sure you'll be receiving some emails.

I recently interviewed at the USN for the ortho program and I am to hear back from them in a few days.

Congrats on the interview. Many of those who are now giving Doc Hurst & P poor reviews were in your shoes recently--interviewing candidates with bright hopes for education and career. Almost to a man (or woman) these same matriculated and (in some cases) now graduated students, have more negative than positive to say about their experiences at UNLV. Why do you think that is? Bad student attitudes or bad organization/leadership from the top down?

A friend of mine attended UNLV and said Dr. H was egotistical and cared much more for himself than the residents. Now, that was his opinion, but such feelings are shared by every UNLV resident with whom I've deeply discussed the topic.

Further, I remember meeting UNLV residents in an AAO lecture in Seattle last spring. I asked the women about the Vegas program, and they immediately hammered away at Hurst, P., and many others. Didn't sound like a great learning environment.

Everyone is saying bad things and to stay away from the program, and that the PD is not good and has done some not so ethical things in the past.

The problem that I am having with the postings is that with all of the bad things that everyone has to say about Dr. P and Dr. H no one actually is giving any actual events or saying what they actually did.

Do you really want to know the truth? What you really want is to do ortho. That's the way we all were.

Yet, if you're potential program director is a wreck in terms of professional conduct and ethics, shouldn't this be important? The UNLV program is now going to take a lot of work to rehabilitate. I know a few young faculty who'll repair things, but your two beloved faculty really wreaked havoc for a while.

It sounds to me that no one actually knows want the truth is and what is not.

Residents under Hurst know the truth. They experienced what they did. Will you believe them if they told you? That is the more important question.

If you have any information that you would like to share with me about why I shouldn't invest my time and money into this program and don't want to share it on the forum you can email me directly at [email protected]. It would be much appreciated.:confused:

Grouse,

Did you apply for last fall's cycle? Getting non-admitted students is exactly how Hurst started his 1st class in Vegas--exactly 3 years ago.

Like many who entered Doc Hurst and Pourhamidi's UNLV classes, you'll likely be better served to reapply this fall. I know this is tough to hear. You want to get in. We all did. But there are many more balanced programs out there than this baby will be in southern Nevada.

Final thought on Hurst and the gang: past performance is the best indicator for future performance.

why would you want a "real" MBA? learning to do fair market valuations, discounted cash flows, brand management, corporate strategy, reading all those HBS case studies, etc..... seems like a waste of time for someone who wants to be an orthodontist.

Jone,

You're right on! Orthodontists don't need to be MBAs. They need to be good with people and to be as entrepreneurial as possible. Almost all the entrepreneurs I know lack an MBA.

A business minor in college will serve you better than a diluted USN MBA combined with ortho.

When you become a resident, any non-ortho course will drive you nuts. They're simply extremely low yield. We've had to take statistics, anatomy, biomaterials, and many other nonsense classes. Info in and info out. You forget 99% of what you studied within a week. The same will occur with the accounting, finance, and other courses you get. You can learn much more for a cheaper price at a state university as an undergrad.

By the way, who's ever even heard of USN before this? What kind of business experts do you think are on faculty there? Certainly not like those at Wharton. Do you see UPenn setting up a joint degree? Haven't heard about it.

Save your tuition $, save your time, and hire an MBA (very few even do this). Or take a few entrepreneurial evening classes during residency on your own or once in practice. I've heard of several docs doing this.

In the end, you won't want to work any more than 40 hours/week. Before long, you likely won't even be working 40.

An MBA orthodontist may have a broader background in business, but will almost surely still delegate virtually everything away to staff and consultants. It's simply more profitable that way and makes for an improved quality of life. Didn't we do ortho, among other reasons, to not work ourselves to death?

An ortho would be insane to do his/her own accounting, taxes, etc. It just makes sense from a time standpoint to farm that stuff out.

JuJusRock

All I can say is that most of you will be lucky to get into this program. Including an MBA is a great idea - gryffindor - why would you rather take silly dental business classes when you can get a real business education with an MBA?

If it's such a great idea why has every other program passed on it?

As an undergrad some of my business professors commented that a business minor was the best-kept secret in the business school. As a business minor, one took the most basic six or seven courses and gained a modest appreciation for investments, taxes, marketing, finance, etc. A full-blown degree was overkill--too many unusable details for the average entrepreneur (what we'll all be).

If you wish to run a major corporation, I'd argue it's a great idea to get an MBA. But for ortho? Ask any big-time MBA. They'd likely tell you such a degree will certainly help, but it's entirely unnecessary.

I know guys who went to Wharton. They'd laugh at me if I told them I was getting an MBA. Instead, they'd suggest a few course and counsel me to get advice from the professionals when I need it. They'd ask what I could make an hour doing ortho. Then, they'd tell me to stick with ortho, my area of true expertise.

Do what you're trained to do. For most of us reading this, that's ortho. I plan on working hard at what I'm expert doing--moving teeth. Then, I'll pay the financial folks for services for which they're experts: taxes, retirement planning, insurance, etc. My very limited business background will allow me to communicate with these experts, but certain not perform their tasks.

Do you really think you'd do all that (taxes, accounting, marketing) entirely by yourself following an MBA from a no-name university?

I wonder what the hire rate is for non-ortho MBA coming out of this university? Where are these graduates going for their first job? Investment banking in NYC or working for plumbers in Little Rock? Or are the ortho folks the only ones getting MBA at USN? MBAs are becoming a dime a dozen from non-major institutions.

vorosvirag pretty much said everything I was thinking about the uselessness of an MBA done during your ortho residency, especially an MBA from a no-name school in NV. I just didn't feel like responding to someone who has only 1 post on SDN.

Everyone has continued on with the same talk about how the program will be terrible and to stay away from these two people, but no one has given any proof again. Yes, I really want to know the truth ----it will help me make a better decision, No, I won't be running a large company and I know the MBA is probably overkill but if it gets me an Ortho Certificate and I pick up a few basic business and management principles along the way-- great! My father is in the field and will probably end up teaching me "real world" ortho any way. As far as Dr. H who hasn't run in to an ego centered Dr in dental school or any of there dental education what is so odd about that. It is starting to sound like usual resident talk about how everything is just so bad and that these people are just no good, and that i want to do the least amout of work to get my degree and get out. :confused:

Grouse5, sounds like it's your only shot so you've got to decide if the risk is worth the reward (hefty fees for a not-too-sure situation). There are lots of negative posts about the program directors, it's your call- give it a shot or wait a year and apply again. You'll never know if you don't try. My two cents.

Everyone has continued on with the same talk about how the program will be terrible and to stay away from these two people, but no one has given any proof again.

What proof are you waiting for? That Hurst isn't an orthodontist or something on that level? You likely won't hear any "proof" like that. He's a failed director. Everyone knows that. Look at his past work. Let's ask this question instead: "What are his recent achievements?" The burden of proof is on him.

We know you want to get in. If you had options, you'd likely wish for the various directors to prove to you why you should go there. In other words, you'd want evidence about which program would make you the best orthodontist--whatever best means to you.

Yes, I really want to know the truth ----it will help me make a better decision, No, I won't be running a large company and I know the MBA is probably overkill but if it gets me an Ortho Certificate and I pick up a few basic business and management principles along the way-- great!

True. Getting into the Nevada program will get you an ortho certificate. A certificate can be earned in many locations in this country, though. An MBA will only take away a lot of otherwise valuable and beautiful desert evenings. By the way, MBAs aren't for the basics. Basics can easily be picked up in one- or two-day seminars.

My brother is an attorney and tells me that way too many law schools are pumping out attorneys who cannot be employed. Just aren't jobs for the grads. The school are in the education business for themselves. They do a poor job of educating the kids, which is why their national ranking is down. But one thing these schools do accomplish is to charge the students. This appears to be real goal anyway--not employment for their grads. Similarly, this school in Nevada--Hurst second in 3 years--appears to be in the same business. Create a impractical, stretched-out curriculum and Take $ from students (for three years mind you) who can't use much of their education and laugh all the way to the bank.

Do you get a Master's with this? Or "just" the MBA?

My father is in the field and will probably end up teaching me "real world" ortho any way.

Is your father an orthodontist? He likely has encouraged you to get in and out (two-year program). That's what most of us wanted: a two-year program, lots of clinic time, few classes, a stipend, assistants, and easy-to-get-along-with faculty and staff. Those factors translate into more preparedness for private practice.

In contrasts, a Masters degree, an MBA, lots of research, lots of debt, outdated practice philosophies and techniques, and tough-to-deal-with faculty and staff disable one from preparing well for the orthodontic business world.

Unfortunately, no program is ideal. Those commenting on this thread are telling you their experiences. They won't likely dangle all the Hurst- and Pourhamidi-related dirty laundry about. I've heard several stories, but to share some of them is not very becoming. If others want to, fine. I don't like to go there. His organizational, leadership failures were enough.

As far as Dr. H who hasn't run in to an ego centered Dr in dental school or any of there dental education what is so odd about that.

You're right. Lots of egos in dental school. Each egotistical type of person bears different fruit, however. What has Doc Hurst's ego done for him (and his residents) lately? Hurst's got little but a trainwreck he left behind in San Antonio (departed to go to Vegas three years ago) and the mess he created in Vegas to show for his academic career.

It is starting to sound like usual resident talk about how everything is just so bad and that these people are just no good,

Usual resident talk? Is that all resident do? Complain? Lots of threads are about things other than complaining. You're not endearing yourself very well, grousie boy.

and that i want to do the least amout of work to get my degree and get out.

Hmmm. Perhaps a little too much honesty, friend. Least amount of work? Hard work is what got most of us to the application table.

I look forward to a good life, but it will continue to involve plenty of hard work, team work, and organization. That is where your boy Lynn Hurst has failed.

:confused:

Why the confusion? Whatever your state is (completely befuddled or only slight so), soak up these shared experiences/opinions and weigh your options. Shake off the confusion and look at the variables before you objectively. That's the easiest way to go forward.

As zoothslooth said, it appears this may be your only shot. Maybe you've got the credentials to reapply next fall. Maybe you don't.

You're an adult and can do whatever you want. You're only hearing our opinions. You do what you want. If you've got the dough (or father does) then take the Nevada spot if offered. You (or your dad) can repay the loan with time. We're only telling you why we think better decisions are out there.
-

It sounds like this kid is desperate to get into ortho. His blinders are on and he wont listen to reason so just let him go.

A person like Grouse5 is probably the kind of student you want in the first test class. No matter how awful the program will be, he/she already has a job and mentor lined up at home to help him learn ortho (if he doesn't learn anything) or unlearn bad ortho (if the program really does suck) after getting the certificate. It would probably be worse if a student goes through the 3 years, gets no mentoring and learns very little, and then has to go out and figure out how to make it in the real world where potential mentors expect you to know something and the community expects you to be competent. Being the first class under such strange circumstances of how the program arose will be tough, but if you don't want to face the alternative of reapplying and going through the match, then you know what you have to do.

What kind of money is there for starting an ortho residency? At least 7 programs have started in the past 4 years, there must be something going on because I don't see a shortage of orthos in sight unless you go quite rural.

Everyone has continued on with the same talk about how the program will be terrible and to stay away from these two people, but no one has given any proof again. Yes, I really want to know the truth ----it will help me make a better decision, No, I won't be running a large company and I know the MBA is probably overkill but if it gets me an Ortho Certificate and I pick up a few basic business and management principles along the way-- great! My father is in the field and will probably end up teaching me "real world" ortho any way. As far as Dr. H who hasn't run in to an ego centered Dr in dental school or any of there dental education what is so odd about that. It is starting to sound like usual resident talk about how everything is just so bad and that these people are just no good, and that i want to do the least amout of work to get my degree and get out. :confused:

open up you eyes and do the research (UNLV board of trustee reports, las vegas journal review, SDN threads, CODA reports, etc). Residents at UNLV admitted to CODA and UNLV board of trustees that they were unprepared, lied to, did not have nearly enough faculty guidance, didn't treat a variety of basic ortho cases and so much more.

i didn't get into ortho my 1st time around and was tempted to go to UNLV/Jax/Coloroda. i turned them down, i sucked it up and applied a second time, and fortunately got in to a place of my choice . the interview at UNLV was an eye opener to me about how poorly organized, unprofessional a program could be. it's truly very sad. This Hurst guy is an embarrasement. He has a track record of gutting programs and making out like a bandit, and he's associated with a lot of shady characters out there. all the signs are there that this is a bad idea. USN...this school has no dental/medical center associated with it, and no support from nevada.

or else just ignore the obvious and convince yourself that i'm just a complainer. matter of fact, if you'd like i can prove to you that i'm not by giving you a list of my favorite 10 ortho programs and why they're so amazing.

What kind of money is there for starting an ortho residency? At least 7 programs have started in the past 4 years, there must be something going on because I don't see a shortage of orthos in sight unless you go quite rural.

good point. i always thought it costs quite a bit to run a dental or ortho program...they must be turning a profit. perhaps the tuition is making it worthwhile.

also agree that USN is looking for this type of wool over the eyes applicant who is so desperate that they will take what's given to them.

Just saw this posting on SDN. Most of the information here is outdated and should not be taken into consideration when deciding on Orthodontic residencies. USN has their initial accreditation through CODA in Jan 2009. They have also have started their 2nd class and have patients as well.

An MBA is so beneficial for a practitioner. Imagine if you actually could read what your accountant typed in a spreadsheet. I'm sure some seasoned orthodontist can do it after many years, but knowing that stuff is important for the longevity of your practice. Please don't hate on the MBA just because it has a reputation.

agreed!:thumbup::thumbup::
they are doing pretty good so far!
Just saw this posting on SDN. Most of the information here is outdated and should not be taken into consideration when deciding on Orthodontic residencies. USN has their initial accreditation through CODA in Jan 2009. They have also have started their 2nd class and have patients as well.

An MBA is so beneficial for a practitioner. Imagine if you actually could read what your accountant typed in a spreadsheet. I'm sure some seasoned orthodontist can do it after many years, but knowing that stuff is important for the longevity of your practice. Please don't hate on the MBA just because it has a reputation.

I'm with the MBA is useless crowd. You don't need an MBA to read spreadsheets. High school graduates can read spreadsheets... even many elementary school graduates can. Most MBA courses are for corporate business anyway.

I'd say adding the MBA is just a selling point for their $53k/year program... And judging by this thread, I'm sure it will work.

I hope more residencies don't pick up this trend. We don't need to waste time getting useless degrees.

I am now a resident at this program, and have nothing but positive things to say. If anyone is thinking of applying to our program, speak to current residents or come visit the program and then decide for yourself. In the end, to each their own, if you're into the MBA, go for it! If not, this program may not be for you.

I am now a resident at this program, and have nothing but positive things to say. If anyone is thinking of applying to our program, speak to current residents or come visit the program and then decide for yourself. In the end, to each their own, if you're into the MBA, go for it! If not, this program may not be for you.
I thought you were a girl. i only saw guys wearing the USN shirt at GORP.

Hahaha...yeah busted! Actually only some of the residents went to GORP :p

Anyone heard anything about this program lately? I was talking to a friend of a friend and she said they were having faculty shortage problems. She said they have one full time faculty member and a couple of part timers. She also said it's now becoming a problem because two classes are in clinic now. I have been looking into this program as a possibility, but would be concerned about only getting one opinion in the clinic. Not too much variability as far as treatment goes.

Rumours like this just reinforces the idea that a brand new program with no real dental school backing is a risk. A risk for closing down at any time screwing current residents and newly accepted ones thinking they're going to have an education then suddenly poof .... nothing to do next yr. especially when the administrators had a bad reputation from the past. Go at your own risk. I'm not saying it is a bad program just risky. If it is the only program you're accepted to then maybe you have no choice but if you have a choice I'd avoid it.:scared:

1 FT and 2 PT for a class of 27 residents!!!:eek: OMG plus they have additional 1 yr interns also. How can u run a program like this.

Yes, you do get to pay a hefty sum for the internship (20 K + fees). You get to pay a hefty sum for the residency as well (50K + 10K fees/year). Chester Lynn does not allow his residents to moonlight so that's out of the question. Typically he'll call lectures on saturday or sunday as his heart desires, because as he says, residency is 24/7. All he seems able to do is gain initial accreditation at any university he is at, because when final accreditation is due, he either bails or gets fired. He then goes on to start another program somewhere, leaving others to pick up the ball that he dropped at the previous university. That and some unscrupulous (sp?), unethical, immoral goings ons behind the scenes. As a former resident (UNLV), you're better off learning ortho on your own. Essentially you will be doing just that anyway. So caveat emptor.

Dang you're right. :eek:

any current usn would like to chime in on this? very anxious indeed. usn as a whole is a respectable program, their pharmacy program is doing well. know a couple of pharmd from that program

any current usn would like to chime in on this? very anxious indeed. usn as a whole is a respectable program, their pharmacy program is doing well. know a couple of pharmd from that program

I'm currently a resident at USN, and without wanting to start any controversy, I'd like to put you at some ease. As of right now we do have the first two classes in clinic. Things are going well, as you know no program is perfect, there are some bumps along the way that we solve together generally. In terms of faculty, we do have one FT, and 3 PT and have been interviewing recently for another FT. Overall, I'm happy with the program, we have a state of the art facility, lots of patients, and the residents are all pretty nice.

Feel free to msg me if you have any other q's. Good luck! :luck:

good to know you are happy with the program, but what did happen to Dr Hurst? Is he now longer at the school? By the way do you treat patients from day one or only after the first year? How many course unit is the MBA part of the program? Thanks

I'm currently a resident at USN, and without wanting to start any controversy, I'd like to put you at some ease. As of right now we do have the first two classes in clinic. Things are going well, as you know no program is perfect, there are some bumps along the way that we solve together generally. In terms of faculty, we do have one FT, and 3 PT and have been interviewing recently for another FT. Overall, I'm happy with the program, we have a state of the art facility, lots of patients, and the residents are all pretty nice.

Feel free to msg me if you have any other q's. Good luck! :luck:

"state of the art facility, MBA"...that's great...listen what's important is having several FT and PT instructors. what's important is having an association with either a dental school or a hospital. what's important is having a wide selection of patient cases and treatment modalities at your disposal. And let's be honest here the FT instructor that you guys do have is an administrator anyways, not a clinician.

one "FT"..Hurst left.....hate to say this but i am not in the least bit surprised...i don't want to know about patient care, surgical or craniofacial cases, etc.

agreed.....but at the same time who said it is not associated with a dental school/hospital??It is indeed attached to a hospital ,residents are getting stipends,and the school is getting patients as the treatment is affordable.The school is looking for a few full time faculties....interviews are still going on....give it a break....it is a brand new prog..just give some time..and it should do well!Every prog. starts from a scratch...and "Rome was not built in a day"..my friend!

"state of the art facility, MBA"...that's great...listen what's important is having several FT and PT instructors. what's important is having an association with either a dental school or a hospital. what's important is having a wide selection of patient cases and treatment modalities at your disposal. And let's be honest here the FT instructor that you guys do have is an administrator anyways, not a clinician.

one "FT"..Hurst left.....hate to say this but i am not in the least bit surprised...i don't want to know about patient care, surgical or craniofacial cases, etc.

agreed.....but at the same time who said it is not associated with a dental school/hospital??It is indeed attached to a hospital ,residents are getting stipends,and the school is getting patients as the treatment is affordable.The school is looking for a few full time faculties....interviews are still going on....give it a break....it is a brand new prog..just give some time..and it should do well!Every prog. starts from a scratch...and "Rome was not built in a day"..my friend!

USN charges approx $62,000 to each resident. residents do not receive a stipend.
it is not hospital based. it is based out of a school with no dental or medical school. and it was started by someone with a checkered history (that's putting it nicely) who takes advantage of a student with a dream.

It seems in the past few years there have been quite a few new ortho programs that have opened their doors. All these programs seem to have quite a few residents in each class as well. eg 8,9,10 residents graduate per year. I heard Colorado has 16 residents per class.:eek:
These programs seem to just set up shop and within a few years they have accreditation.
If this current pace keeps up, in a few years, ortho programs will be as competitive as prostho to get into and the number of orthos will be close to that of general dentists (a little exaggeration but you know what I’m saying)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but there already seems to be an over saturation of orthodontists. I’m not just talking major metro areas, but even in towns of like 30,000 there are like 3 or 4 orthodontists.
I’ve heard in dermatology, the governing body does a really good job to limit the supply of dermatologists so all the practicing ones are booked like crazy. Ever try to get in appt with a derm?
It seems like the AAO doesn’t give hoot—or they are completely powerless, one of the two. The demand for ortho is going up but I think the supply is greatly outpacing it. Not only with more and more new ortho grads every year but also with orthodentists (GPs who do ortho). If this keeps up, in like 15 years, orthodontists' incomes will be on par with GPs