New NBDE and PASS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS2021CAD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how schools are going to be looking at your application if you're only planning on doing the INBDE when applying to residency programs? I'm a current student in Canada graduating in 2021 and want to know if its worth doing Part 1 of the NBDE or just waiting it out and doing the new exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually had the same exact dilemma when deciding whether to take INBDE or NBDE Part 1 & 2, as I am interested in applying for residencies once PASS opens in May 2020. I attend a US dental school and talked to the dean about this. Since the PASS application opens ~mid May and INBDE won't be offered until August 2020, you will have to apply without a "score" on the NBDE part 1 portion of the app. My dean said that this probably won't be an issue for less competitive specialties but may be a red flag for orthodontic or oral surgery residencies. She essentially said that she recommends taking part 1 and 2 to avoid any potential problems the INDBE may cause on the application. I ended up taking NBDE part 1 at the end of my D3 summer semester.

I actually had the same exact dilemma when deciding whether to take INBDE or NBDE Part 1 & 2, as I am interested in applying for residencies once PASS opens in May 2020. I attend a US dental school and talked to the dean about this. Since the PASS application opens ~mid May and INBDE won't be offered until August 2020, you will have to apply without a "score" on the NBDE part 1 portion of the app. My dean said that this probably won't be an issue for less competitive specialties but may be a red flag for orthodontic or oral surgery residencies. She essentially said that she recommends taking part 1 and 2 to avoid any potential problems the INDBE may cause on the application. I ended up taking NBDE part 1 at the end of my D3 summer semester.

so i guess you're a year ahead of me and already graduated? the INDBE is something you would normally take near the end of 4th year right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What studying material are you guys using for the INBDE?