• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

New Kid on the Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm on many forums and decided to make an account here in interest of pursuing a future career in pharmacy. I am a second year student at a UC and am asking for some advice. What can I do to make myself more competitive to pharmacy besides quitting and pursuing something else(talking to you Humble Sloth).

My fairly limited stats:
3-3.5 GPA 1st sem
3.5-4.0 GPA 2nd sem
That's about it. Finished calc, finishing up gen chem and gen bio. Taking ochem(1st part) next sem with physics and a psych class because I really love psych and a writing class. Bio major with likely Immuno emphasis and maybe Psych minor if I can get all the classes in. I really like school and the process. I am definitely open to more school after my four years but not interested in being a physician.
I've been advised to get into research but I don't see too many people in research in the stats of people on the forums so I'm not sure. Leaning toward getting a pharm tech license to which I can hopefully work in the summers since I won't be able to do it during terms as I want to focus on school and raising GPA. I understand that the PCAT is not required (yet) in CA but most likely will be in the future.

I've been interested in pharm since the beginning of HS and it's really my dream job but I'm sure everyone is basically the same here. I'm not doing it for the money and would be happy even making 70k. PS I live near a local hospital to which I volunteered in HS to get 250 hours and I really love being in a hospital so I could probably volunteer or shadow, maybe? Not really sure honestly. I'm working for security in the meantime to make some money on the side to pay college tuition and have some spending money currently and I can sometimes get studying/hmw done at work

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What can I do to make myself more competitive to pharmacy besides quitting and pursuing something else(talking to you Humble Sloth).

lol

Honestly, so far so good. Decent grades and great volunteer work. If you can get through Ochem, Microbiology, Cell Bio and Anatomy without tanking that GPA you're golden. Definitely do some pharm tech work over the summer and get a few good LORs from your professor or better yet the pharmacist you'd be working for.

Reactions: 1 user
lol

Honestly, so far so good. Decent grades and great volunteer work. If you can get through Ochem, Microbiology, Cell Bio and Anatomy without tanking that GPA you're golden. Definitely do some pharm tech work over the summer and get a few good LORs from your professor or better yet the pharmacist you'd be working for.
Appreciate the tip. I understand that people are competitive on this forum and would rather not have 'another one'; so, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the tip. I understand that people are competitive on this forum and would rather not have 'another one'; so, thanks!

Not to say that there isn't saturation (especially in the Northeast), but if pharmacy work is truly your calling don't let anyone stop you. Best of luck!

Not to say that there isn't saturation (especially in the Northeast), but if pharmacy work is truly your calling don't let anyone stop you. Best of luck!
I plan to follow the drugs! Wherever that may take me! lmao. Thanks

Your GPA isn't a range, it's a hard number. At least give us a more narrow range; 3.0-3.5 doesn't tell us anything.

Honestly forget about getting a degree. Just take the required prereqs and apply as soon as you can. Also forget about volunteering, you already have 250 hours of it to put on your resume. Real job experience as a technician is much more valueable and could turn into an internship once you start school, plus you will learn a lot more about pharmacy workflow and will familiarize yourself with drug names.

First off, get a job in a busy retail pharmacy as a tech before applying. You would be surprised at how many people change their minds of pharmacy being their "dream job" after they start working in one. Also, be prepared to make major sacrifices, i.e. moving across the country and working undesirable hours in retail.

Computer science, engineering, finance, accounting, physician assistant, etc. are all make much better returns on investment for your education. These all provide pay that matches and exceeds that of pharmacy, a better quality of life, and job security better than that of pharmacy without the additional $200k+ in loans and 4 years of professional school.

First off, get a job in a busy retail pharmacy as a tech before applying. You would be surprised at how many people change their minds of pharmacy being their "dream job" after they start working in one. Also, be prepared to make major sacrifices, i.e. moving across the country and working undesirable hours in retail.

Computer science, engineering, finance, accounting, physician assistant, etc. are all make much better returns on investment for your education. These all provide pay that matches and exceeds that of pharmacy, a better quality of life, and job security better than that of pharmacy without the additional $200k+ in loans and 4 years of professional school.

Did you read OP?

Your GPA isn't a range, it's a hard number. At least give us a more narrow range; 3.0-3.5 doesn't tell us anything.
cGPA is 3.3-3.5. sGPA is around there too, I believe. Really just trying to bring it up with a rocky transition out of High School

Did you read OP?

cGPA is 3.3-3.5. sGPA is around there too, I believe. Really just trying to bring it up with a rocky transition out of High School
You're almost certainly going to need a PGY1 to work in a hospital

You're fine right now, even if your GPA falls on the lower end of the ranges you gave us. Just make sure to get yourself pharmacy experience whether it be in retail or a hospital. Get an 80+ composite on the PCAT and you're pretty much set.

Off-topic but when you said you were a 2nd year at a UC, were you meaning at University of California?

You're fine right now, even if your GPA falls on the lower end of the ranges you gave us. Just make sure to get yourself pharmacy experience whether it be in retail or a hospital. Get an 80+ composite on the PCAT and you're pretty much set.

Off-topic but when you said you were a 2nd year at a UC, were you meaning at University of California?
Yes. University of California. For pharmacy experience, should I just get my tech license with a program that prepares me for exam or just study for the PTCE myself? I figure if I'll do it myself, I learn what woks best for me when it comes time to take the PCAT. I'm considering buying some PCAT books right now if there's a decent sale but don't really think there's a point since the test might be different in a few years.

You're almost certainly going to need a PGY1 to work in a hospital
Can you elaborate?

Yes. University of California. For pharmacy experience, should I just get my tech license with a program that prepares me for exam or just study for the PTCE myself? I figure if I'll do it myself, I learn what woks best for me when it comes time to take the PCAT. I'm considering buying some PCAT books right now if there's a decent sale but don't really think there's a point since the test might be different in a few years.

Can you elaborate?

Expect to be in school/training for a minimum of 5 years to work in a hospital as a pharmacist come, what, 2023-2024 when you finish

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I'm on many forums and decided to make an account here in interest of pursuing a future career in pharmacy. I am a second year student at a UC and am asking for some advice. What can I do to make myself more competitive to pharmacy besides quitting and pursuing something else(talking to you Humble Sloth).

My fairly limited stats:
3-3.5 GPA 1st sem
3.5-4.0 GPA 2nd sem
That's about it. Finished calc, finishing up gen chem and gen bio. Taking ochem(1st part) next sem with physics and a psych class because I really love psych and a writing class. Bio major with likely Immuno emphasis and maybe Psych minor if I can get all the classes in. I really like school and the process. I am definitely open to more school after my four years but not interested in being a physician.
I've been advised to get into research but I don't see too many people in research in the stats of people on the forums so I'm not sure. Leaning toward getting a pharm tech license to which I can hopefully work in the summers since I won't be able to do it during terms as I want to focus on school and raising GPA. I understand that the PCAT is not required (yet) in CA but most likely will be in the future.

I've been interested in pharm since the beginning of HS and it's really my dream job but I'm sure everyone is basically the same here. I'm not doing it for the money and would be happy even making 70k. PS I live near a local hospital to which I volunteered in HS to get 250 hours and I really love being in a hospital so I could probably volunteer or shadow, maybe? Not really sure honestly. I'm working for security in the meantime to make some money on the side to pay college tuition and have some spending money currently and I can sometimes get studying/hmw done at work

Thanks

you're way too late in the game to be applying to schools. The bubble is about to pop. Forget about 70k that will be a dream income. You will be unemployed with no job and debt.

you're way too late in the game to be applying to schools. The bubble is about to pop. Forget about 70k that will be a dream income. You will be unemployed with no job and debt.
why haven't you been banned already? geesh.

I can't speak about tech licenses or programs but as for the PCAT, don't bother studying for it now. Concentrate on your core classes right now because the more you remember from these classes, the easier it will be to study for the exam when the time comes. Take it from someone who went to UC Davis; the UC system prepares you very well for post-grad.

Hell, I'll work work 30k in South Compton if I have to

Woah man you'd be lucky to work for that much. In today's day and age pharmacists actually have to pay out of pocket to have the privilege to work for Walmart.

Reactions: 1 user
Woah man you'd be lucky to work for that much. In today's day and age pharmacists actually have to pay out of pocket to have the privilege to work for Walmart.
Haven't thought about this unforeseen complication. Gonna start saving up man!

umm no you're not going to get a coveted cali job. You will be lucky to get a job in rural northern Alaska or Montana earing 40k a year part time.

Haven't thought about this unforeseen complication. Gonna start saving up man!
You think it's a joke but I know pharmDs that have had to bribe regional directors for jobs in high saturation areas. You better start saving up 10-15k.