New Job Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That picture I posted is of course of Baltimore. I'm white but grew up as the minority and I can tell you that it wasn't always easy so it definitely goes all the way around. Nonetheless, your comment is uninformed and naive at best but I don't really feel like getting into it right now. However, I am more than happy to debate you if you wish to continue.

Lol are you equating growing up in baltimore as a caucasian male as the same as being a colored minority growing up in this country?

No wonder the BLM is so strong. It's because you guys will never understand.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Lol are you equating growing up in baltimore as a caucasian male as the same as being a colored minority growing up in this country?

And somehow you became a doctor....
Amazing country. Despite all that adversity.

Reactions: 2 users

I grew up in Queens NYC in the 80s and 90s under Dinkins and Koch but I trained in Baltimore.

My friend, we're speaking of two different things here. #1 is the disparaging remark you said about rural folks. I needed to correct you since I know from experience that you are wrong and I must speak up when I see this. You don't have the experience. You only have stereotypes which ironically is the thing that BLM is supposedly trying to eliminate. Rural white folks are the last group in the US that are not protected by political correctness and it seems like they are constantly ridiculed and criticized with impunity. They are overall a law-abiding good people and the stereotypes are so often hypocritical. Despite their relative poverty, they don't tend to constantly complain every second about the way things are or try to blame outside circumstances for their lot in life. They don't typically ask for much, mostly don't bother anyone and just want to live their lives. They also tend to frequently volunteer to shed their blood protecting the rest of us so people like you and me can live the privileged life in the 1%.

Issue #2 is the whole black/white thing you chose to bring up. I agree very little with BLM and would be happy to discuss this further with you if you want. It wouldn't be a fair discussion as I would have to argue with one hand behind my back. You can probably mention whatever you'd like from your perspective but I imagine that I must tread very carefully as it wouldn't take much to get me banned from here from mine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, can we keep politics and race discussions in the many other threads filled with them? I know they are pervasive topics right now and I'm guilty of vigorous participation in other threads but it would be ideal to keep that type of discussion to a minimum in other threads otherwise it derails the entire discussion.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, can we keep politics and race discussions in the many other threads filled with them? I know they are pervasive topics right now and I'm guilty of vigorous participation in other threads but it would be ideal to keep that type of discussion to a minimum in other threads otherwise it derails the entire discussion.
You're right. It would be a fruitless conversation all the way around anyway.

Update: pulled out of that offer as I just found a better one, if you can believe that.

I grew up in Queens NYC in the 80s and 90s under Dinkins and Koch but I trained in Baltimore.

My friend, we're speaking of two different things here. #1 is the disparaging remark you said about rural folks. I needed to correct you since I know from experience that you are wrong and I must speak up when I see this. You don't have the experience. You only have stereotypes which ironically is the thing that BLM is supposedly trying to eliminate. Rural white folks are the last group in the US that are not protected by political correctness and it seems like they are constantly ridiculed and criticized with impunity. They are overall a law-abiding good people and the stereotypes are so often hypocritical. Despite their relative poverty, they don't tend to constantly complain every second about the way things are or try to blame outside circumstances for their lot in life. They don't typically ask for much, mostly don't bother anyone and just want to live their lives. They also tend to frequently volunteer to shed their blood protecting the rest of us so people like you and me can live the privileged life in the 1%.

Issue #2 is the whole black/white thing you chose to bring up. I agree very little with BLM and would be happy to discuss this further with you if you want. It wouldn't be a fair discussion as I would have to argue with one hand behind my back. You can probably mention whatever you'd like from your perspective but I imagine that I must tread very carefully as it wouldn't take much to get me banned from here from mine.
Wow! Me too! I grew up in woodside!

Rural Americans make great patients when you get the ranchers/farmers. It’s also where most of my social security disability patients come from, meth heads and the ever-pleasant 1 star review from people who drove 2 hours to see you and didn’t get the pills they wanted. Cussing at my staff over a $20 copay. Rural America is where the opioid crisis rages the strongest. But people here get all starry-eyed at the thought of MAGA hats filling their clinics.

Reactions: 3 users
Did someone say absurd racism debate on an internet forum?
Just noticed this post. Not to beat this to death but I care very little about what someone looks like. To say I put someone like Ice Cube in the same category as Ben Carson based solely on what they look like is ridiculous. There are plenty of black people who feel similar to me and plenty of white people who don't. It's not race, it's the ideology that I'm typically against. There's a big difference there.

Rural Americans make great patients when you get the ranchers/farmers. It’s also where most of my social security disability patients come from, meth heads and the ever-pleasant 1 star review from people who drove 2 hours to see you and didn’t get the pills they wanted. Cussing at my staff over a $20 copay. Rural America is where the opioid crisis rages the strongest. But people here get all starry-eyed at the thought of MAGA hats filling their clinics.
That would be correct. Let's see, I wonder if a person grows up and is constantly told that he is at fault for who he is, is constantly told that his group of people is responsible for all the ills of the world while ignoring the good that the group has done and ignoring the faults of other groups has anything to do with the rampant drug problem. It is very difficult for this group of people to come together and from any type of community support based on their shared history and heritage despite all other racial, ethnic, and religious groups encouraged to do so. There are minimal resources funneled into rural communities and rural communities lack the support infrastructure of more urban areas. I don't know if there is a correlation or not but I don't see how there could not be.

That would be correct. Let's see, I wonder if a person grows up and is constantly told that he is at fault for who he is, is constantly told that his group of people is responsible for all the ills of the world while ignoring the good that the group has done and ignoring the faults of other groups has anything to do with the rampant drug problem.

How about this, I'll donate some boots. So they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

How about this, I'll donate some boots. So they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
You can do that but the people where I live don't typically complain about it. It's me advocating from them and I'm not part of their racial group.