New grads - How difficult was it to find a position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when did you get licensed though and in how many states. How many jobs did you apply to?
passed my boards 2 weeks ago, got licensed today. only 1 state. i applied during school to a few retail locations for a grad intern position.

in the process of getting licensed in 2 other states now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
passed my boards 2 weeks ago, got licensed today. only 1 state. i applied during school to a few retail locations for a grad intern position.

in the process of getting licensed in 2 other states now
Nice. I'm glad you weer able to find fulltime 40 hour plus employment instead of floating and begging for scraps like most new grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't have 40 hours/week. i have 64 hours bi-weekly floating
Ugh 32 hours floating... I guess that truly is the new normal now. Funny how the profession went from free car sign on bonus to not even getting full hours in only ten years.

Reactions: 7 users
Ugh 32 hours floating... I guess that truly is the new normal now. Funny how the profession went from free car sign on bonus to not even getting full hours in only ten years.
not gonna lie - I would love to work 32 hours a week and still make 110k a year

Reactions: 9 users
not gonna lie - I would love to work 32 hours a week and still make 110k a year
It's floating which doesn't count commute time. Floaters have to commute up to 1.5 hours each way...

Honestly, I would tell your relative to choose another path. I'm a 2018 grad and was lucky enough to have a job secured as I matched for residency. As of right now, ~50% of my class (~115 grads total) are still without a a job 3 months out. Approximately 20% of my class is made up of PGY-1 residents, and another 30% doing retail jobs. The job market is pretty dismal, and residency is competitive. Unless they know for SURE that pharmacy is their life dream... I would stay away. Honestly, if I had to do it over... I would have gone to PA school.

Reactions: 2 users
It's floating which doesn't count commute time. Floaters have to commute up to 1.5 hours each way...

That sux balls. Walgreens is forcing floaters to come in for 6 hour shifts now after they started doing away with the 2 hour overlaps. Imagine driving for 1.5 hours each way to do a 6 hour shift.

Honestly, I would tell your relative to choose another path. I'm a 2018 grad and was lucky enough to have a job secured as I matched for residency. As of right now, ~50% of my class (~115 grads total) are still without a a job 3 months out. Approximately 20% of my class is made up of PGY-1 residents, and another 30% doing retail jobs. The job market is pretty dismal, and residency is competitive. Unless they know for SURE that pharmacy is their life dream... I would stay away. Honestly, if I had to do it over... I would have gone to PA school.
What state are you in. It just seems unbelievable for half a class to be unemployed when it seems like last class was 100% employed. At least I never saw a post saying otherwise

A friend who graduated from my alma mater in 2018 said ~10% of his class had jobs lined up afterwards, and another ~10% got a residency. Anecdotal, but still doesn't bode well. I've seen quite a few FB posts from this class speaking about their lack of job prospects and feeling unwanted. Pharmacy is in a very bad spot right now and will continue to decline I think. I wouldn't recommend any friends or family to go to pharmacy school.

What state is this?

I heard 3 of my techs in the hospital talking about applying to pharmacy school. They want to apply instate and out of state to be a pharmacist. I couldn't interject because another pharmacist already warned them and they didn't listen. sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
I can validate part of this. I know 2 NC new pharm grads that have no offers.

If up to half the class is without jobs months after graduation then maybe enrollment in school will plummet. Scary and sad

If up to half the class is without jobs months after graduation then maybe enrollment in school will plummet. Scary and sad
I think it will take a few years of this and falling salaries before all the greedily lazy new pharmD students go on to a different major precieved as easy money such as RN, PA, OD, PED, ect. First they went to law. Now they are coming to pharmacy. Just lazy people seeking a get rich quick scheme. I hope the average pharmacy salary goes to 40,000 USD a year to burn these people. If you went into healthcare for the money you are doing it wrong. Healthcare should be a vow of poverty. The amount of woman wearing expensive designer clothing / shoes while taking out massive student loans in my pharmacy class was disgusting. I even saw students with 10k+ in credit card debt buying expensive things with borrowed money. I assume these people will be paying their loans off well into their 60's.

Reactions: 5 users
I think it will take a few years of this and falling salaries before all the greedily lazy new pharmD students go on to a different major precieved as easy money such as RN, PA, OD, PED, ect. First they went to law. Now they are coming to pharmacy. Just lazy people seeking a get rich quick scheme. I hope the average pharmacy salary goes to 40,000 USD a year to burn these people. If you went into healthcare for the money you are doing it wrong. Healthcare should be a vow of poverty. The amount of woman wearing expensive designer clothing / shoes while taking out massive student loans in my pharmacy class was disgusting. I even saw students with 10k+ in credit card debt buying expensive things with borrowed money. I assume these people will be paying their loans off well into their 60's.
Chill man I just like the field lmao

Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand that person's obsession with having salaries drop.

No one is taking a $150k student loan for $40k salary.

Just stop.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol why are people so negative? Yes pharmacy is a saturated field but so is a lot of other professions, there are still jobs but people just have to be more open minded to move and live in undesired areas to work and hopefully be able to transfer closer to their desired location. I honestly do not care how others spend their money thats on them, let them be stupid whatever.

And yes, new grads are being offer a lower starting wage but when you compare it to a tech wage it explains why so many still wants to go into pharmacy. Nobody believes you even if you try to tell them the field is oversaturated, they just think you're BSing.

Just stop.

Artists?

My company needs maybe 3 ppl due to 1 rph moving out following a military spouse, 1 raged quit, and 1 quit for residency, then we are fully staffed lol. Good luck new grads. Maybe you are that 3 in 150 apps hahaha

Edit: nvm your chance is 0. They hire the internal interns first (we got like 10+ graduating p4s) lol...

Just stop.
There are people that take 150k+ USD loans out for Art History degrees with a 40k starting salary....

Artists are actually willing to make the necessary sacrifices to pursue their dreams. That means waiting tables or working other low paying jobs to supplant their incomes just to pay rent.

How many pre-pharms do you see today going into the field today with the plan of working avoiding retail which remains the bread and butter of pharmacy? How many of them actually want to move to an underserved community hundreds or even thousands of miles away from family and friends to a town of 5,000 to use their great PharmD education to help alleviate the physician shortage? They talk about provider status and how great it's going to be, yet how will they really feel when CVS adds these duties to their workload with no increase in pay or hours as pharmacists?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My company needs maybe 3 ppl due to 1 rph moving out following a military spouse, 1 raged quit, and 1 quit for residency, then we are fully staffed lol. Good luck new grads. Maybe you are that 3 in 150 apps hahaha

Edit: nvm your chance is 0. They hire the internal interns first (we got like 10+ graduating p4s) lol...

I'd be interested in hearing how and why the RPH rage quit.

Reactions: 1 users
I can validate part of this. I know 2 NC new pharm grads that have no offers.

I am unable to confirm that for North Carolinas for the new grad. I did not expect things would be this bad. I always thought Tennessee would be worse, having six pharmacy schools for the population.

What I can say is that our organization has just move up the salary range for pharmacist for 10%. In addition, we are now offering 15K sign on bonus for the PGY2 trained candidate as well as for the referrals. Of course, you have to have certain specialty. I am not sure I can provide recruiting information over open forum. PM me if you have PGY2 and hospital experience with interests relocate to NC.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I am unable to confirm that for North Carolinas for the new grad. I did not expect things would be this bad. I always thought Tennessee would be worse, having six pharmacy schools for the population.

What I can say is that our organization has just move up the salary range for pharmacist for 10%. In addition, we are now offering 15K sign on bonus for the PGY2 trained candidate as well as for the referrals. Of course, you have to have certain specialty. I am not sure I can provide recruiting information over open forum. PM me if you have PGY2 and hospital experience with interests relocate to NC.

Thanks for the info but I don't have a PGY2.

Thanks for the info but I don't have a PGY2.

LOL, the two people I personally know and worked with that have a PGY2 are awful. One is an outright liar and inefficient and the other is inefficient and doesn't document workload.

I have a few friends that did a PGY2 that I expect are good, however, have never personally worked with them.

Reactions: 3 users
There are doctors, lawyers, dentists, engineers, etc and artists are brought up?

Sorry but I stand firm, no one does it.

Not only that but if loans stayed the same the shortage would occur again and we'd end up right back here anyways.

Last edited:

Do you mind waiting 8 years? LOL

Not gonna lie though that sounds pretty sweet.

Dental Hygienists can be a great career (assuming you like working with gross stuff and dealing with people who haven't brushed their teeth in 10 years)--it is very good pay for only 2 years of education, and the education is far, far, far cheaper than pharmacy school.

One issue with dental hygienists, most dentists only want to hire them part time, and they don't offer any benefits. But, like nursing, if someone is looking for a well-paying job, that they can work part-time while raising their family, dental hygienist fits the bill.

Be aware though, dental hygienist programs are FAR more competitive than pharmacy programs, so if your relative has less than excellent GPA/test scores (or worse, actual substandard GPA/test scores), then pharmacy school will be the only option of the 2.

LOL, the two people I personally know and worked with that have a PGY2 are awful. One is an outright liar and inefficient and the other is inefficient and doesn't document workload.

I have a few friends that did a PGY2 that I expect are good, however, have never personally worked with them.
That has been my experience as well. I'm hoping it is because the truly driven PGY2 grads went on to work in the most elite of medical centers, so those of us in less prestigious institutions are getting the dregs who only did a PGY2 because they didn't know what else to do or were afraid to start practicing - yes, I knew someone who did a PGY2 because they just didn't feel ready after one year of residency.

The folks I'm referring to went to school out of state and live in middle of state.

I work in NC - we are saturated - but there are definitely some places where you can get a job - I see openings all the time on glassdoor - not like it was 10- years ago- but half are unemployed?? care to share what school? (I precept for two of the schools in the state)

I'm hoping that the percentage has dropped, but there haven't been many updated posts on the job search. I'd rather not say which school, but it's one of the two near the Triangle. Good reputation, great board passage rates, but full time positions are pretty sparse. These loans don't pay themselves haha. I will say, that a good portion are most likely still unemployed because they want a full time position and not a part time position. I have friends that have applied to 20+ positions on glass door, indeed, etc. and still no luck.

Take the part time position and use it as experience for a full time position. Surprised a pharmacy grad hasn't figured that out.

North Carolina

NC just keeps opening pharmacy schools without ensuring quality. I talked a few people out of it and they were thankful. I was lucky enough to graduate in 2016 (not from NC), got 3 job offers before graduation. I took an inpatient pharmacy position in rural NC. Before I left, we got calls from people with PGY-2 training asking for basic pharmacy jobs. At least 20 people competed for my position. They found someone to replace me in less than a week. The pay wasn’t even close to 6 figures.

Last edited:
I love the people who say get that PGY2, Board Cert, etc. and you will get a job anywhere. Of course you will. And if everyone goes that route then in 5 years we will be up to PGY4s and whatever criteria some academic group says is the best. Eventually the ROI becomes to much and the bubble bursts. Everyone knows we are at critical mass and you can keep throwing money in the pot trying to win the hand but stats are against you.

NC just keeps opening pharmacy schools without ensuring quality. I talked a few people out of it and they were thankful. I was lucky enough to graduate in 2016 (not from NC), got 3 job offers before graduation. I took an inpatient pharmacy position in rural NC. Before I left, we got calls from people with PGY-2 training asking for basic pharmacy jobs. At least 20 people competed for my position. It was very quick that they found someone to replace me. The pay wasn’t even close to 6 figures.
Can we say High Point. Ron Reagan interviewed at the school I used to work at before leaving Kansas and he declined the position saying pharmacy was declining. Guess they didn't offer him enough money to lie and he starts a new school. Greed.

NC just keeps opening pharmacy schools without ensuring quality. I talked a few people out of it and they were thankful. I was lucky enough to graduate in 2016 (not from NC), got 3 job offers before graduation. I took an inpatient pharmacy position in rural NC. Before I left, we got calls from people with PGY-2 training asking for basic pharmacy jobs. At least 20 people competed for my position. They found someone to replace me in less than a week. The pay wasn’t even close to 6 figures.
High point was the last one to open I think. UNC and Campbell have been open a while. Wingate Opened about 10 years ago or more. High point is the newest. They are all pretty good schools though. (Go Bulldogs!)

At the same time though, we are also beginning to see the decline of pharmacy school enrollment, many schools are cutting class sizes. If enough students look at job prospects and decline a career in pharmacy things may self correct. Then again, I anticipate schools taking anyone willing to pay 40k a year regardless of PCAT, GPA, or work experience (and this will be a major blow to the credibility of pharmacist knowledge and public health as a whole). The root of saturation is too many pharmacy schools. Something must be done to scale current ones back and implement some kind of policy to protect the profession from this ever happening again. Non-pharmacists literally dictate our profession and the job market for the nation.

Pharmacists should unionize and stage a protest to at least get the word out en masse the problems with the profession (I'd also strongly want to tie in how PBMs are also killing the profession and screwing over their patients at the same time).

The place I worked, the quality of the pharmacist was horrible. They cannot calculate rate, allegation problems, and how to convert the dose when Dr write different strength. Not only that, the attitude when you are trying to teach them, they think they know all that, but when they actually doing the work...they are lost..... I don't know what it is.... but it's pretty terrible.

I had no trouble getting a job right out as a staff pharmacist at a hospital where I started as a tech, then intern and eventually pharmacist right out. I worked there for a year and then was offered a position at a hospital back in my home town which I took. I had no trouble and I dont really think anyone in my class did for the most part. But I have heard that some in my class were floaters for walmart only getting like 10 hours a week. In fact one of the pharmacist I worked with at my old hospital was PRN at walmart on weekends and his regional manager said that with all the new grads he could keep everyone part time floating and not have to worry about benefits. If I could go back I really think that BSN to CRNA is the way to go. More jobs and better pay.

My class had about 72 graduating pharmacists and all but 4-5 students wither got jobs out of school or matched for residency. There are jobs out there but most people want to stay in sunny Orlando close to downtown and the urban lifestyle. I know 2 grads that got amazing clinical pharmacist jobs in acute care medicine right out of school but had to move up to northern florida which isnt as sexy. Moral of the story is that the students that remain unemployed after pharm school, is purely their fault. Either they didn't do anything but get good grades in school, were not involved in anything, and are also awkward and interview bad.

I take some time to grow what interest is matter here. Some people have good interest in this field they grow up fastly whether he is greduate of studied higher. But if we think about pharmacy.The barrier to entry is literally nothing, similar to pharmacy. Thats why a lot of NPs are going back to nursing because a lot of RNs are now making more than NPs.

Class of 2018 here. At my school , about 10% of the class of 2017 is not working in a pharmacy type career. People are having trouble getting hired. It's pretty early, but I think the unemployment rate for my class will be higher than 10%.