New grad - first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petsfurever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Original post removed - thank you for responses! Hopeful that everything improves and using your tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a 2020 grad and started working as a GP. I was promised mentoring, but instead I am handling many cases a day on my own. Is this typical? I am exhausted and so stressed with no support. Definitely not what I expected starting out.
Are you doing mostly wellness cases or sick? But yes you are expected to be handling your own cases— is another doctor on with you you can ask questions of? 5 minute vet consult is a great resource. So is VIN if you have a membership but responses are within 48 hours. Does your clinic have vaccine protocols? Work up protocols? Probably worth the time to write out some of your own so you don’t have to think it through each time.

VIN has a good” getting through the day/night course “ I think is free or cheap. Not sure if you need to be a member

Ie. Ears—cytology, if young include mineral oil scrape to look for mites, treat based on organism seen. If chronic consider food trial etc.

Ie vomiting—work up options— radiographs, baseline bloodwork. If your prioritize rads if old or chronic prioritize bloodwork. Other more specialized testing cortisol/ACTH stim. Consider ultrasound, scope if chronic. Etc. vs symptomatic care and recheck for diagnostics if not improving

also useful to inventory the pharmacy so you know what treatment options you have

depending on the tech situation may be able to ask what does dr owner like for X?

Also probably worth having a sit down with your boss/ other associates. Would having a set time for questions/ rounds help? Ie 10 minutes at lunch?

remember you know what to do with 80%of cases or at least where to start. Don’t have to fix everything in an appointment.

feel free to PM me
if you want someone you can call/ text

Definitely not what I expected starting out.
Sadly, that's not uncommon :( If you are a VIN member, there's lots of resources on there -- including active message boards, but also a lot of stuff in the archives which is great because someone has almost assuredly asked the same question before. There's also procedural manuals and a handy tool called Associate (VINcyclopedia) that allows you to put in clinical and laboratory findings to get possible differentials.

Even if you're not a member, they have resources for veterinarians through their VIN Foundation that might be helpful.

Remember that everything starts with the basics: get a good history, and do a good physical exam. Then give yourself a few minutes out of the exam room to think about things or look things up - nothing is so important that you can't take 5 or 10 minutes to think. If you need more time, you can ask the owner to leave the pet for a few hours, or, if the pet is stable, tell the owner that you'll call them tomorrow to get an update and discuss future plans.

Finally, there is Vets4Vets - confidential support groups available to any vet, free of charge. They also match vets with mentors that meet virtually (phone, video, email), and that might also be good for you. Vets4Vets®

Members don't see this ad :)
I was promised mentoring, but instead I am handling many cases a day on my own. Is this typical?
Did you discuss what "mentoring" was to be? What are your expectations of your boss and/or fellow associates? Probably best to figure what it is exactly that you want before approaching them. But absolutely worth a sit down talk to express how you're feeling and see if you can work something out.

I am exhausted and so stressed with no support. Definitely not what I expected starting out.
I'm sorry :( It's a tough job! I second VIN and 5 Minute Vet Consult for help establishing some basics. But definitely plan to sit down with your boss and discuss how you're feeling.

I am a 2020 grad and started working as a GP. I was promised mentoring, but instead I am handling many cases a day on my own. Is this typical? I am exhausted and so stressed with no support. Definitely not what I expected starting out.

Yes, handling cases on you own is typical. I think it depends on what you were looking for out of mentoring. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you have the knowledge to handle the vast majority of things on your own, you just don't have the confidence. I know, because I still don't have the confidence 4 years in, you will always question what you are doing in certain cases. It is medicine, it isn't perfect and is called "practicing" for a reason.

Now if you are in the clinic completely alone without any other DVM available to bounce questions off of, that is definitely not right, though I will say it happens. There should be support there. You really probably need to sit down with your employer and discuss what you are looking for with mentorship. A you asking questions and they are ignoring you? Are you a bit afraid to approach to ask questions? You have to voice what you want, people can't read minds and they won't know you are struggling if something isn't said.

Don't think you need to know everything immediately either, you can take the time to look stuff up. Clients are actually quite ok when you say "I really am not sure about x, let me go do some reading I will be back shortly."

Also, I know everyone mentioned VIN, but honestly, I never asked VIN questions only used it for searching things. I would post cases to certain facebook groups, they are quite helpful. If you want the names of those groups, send me a PM, there are a few that are specifically for posting of cases and getting input from other colleagues.