New DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'll be applying DO this coming cycle and I'm curious of the newer DO schools could really be as risky, cash-grabby, or bad to attend as some people on here make them out to be? If so which ones? In making my school list so far I only included DO schools founded before 2000 (completely arbitrary year other than those schools being more established/perhaps more credible?), though I'd like to include the newer ones if the caution about them isn't credible. 67 LizzyM with 509 MCAT, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Of the newer schools, you'll be fine with TUNCOM, PacNW, MUCOM, all three VCOMs, ACOM, Wm Carey, BCOM, CUSOM, KYCOM, PCOM-GA, LECOM-B, Western-OR
Are there any particular ones that are advisable to stay away from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from LECOM-B, far far away.

Marian U was a great program, got an acceptance there and really excited to go.

Reactions: 1 user
By deduction, stay away from all of the new schools which Goro did not mention. Specifically, the ones which have not even graduated a class yet. There is simply too much uncertainty here in regard to curriculum, student retention, board pass rates and residency placement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

100% agree. One has plenty of more established schools to pick from. I have written previously about my distaste for LUCOM and Touro-NY.

By deduction, stay away from all of the new schools which Goro did not mention. Specifically, the ones which have not even graduated a class yet. There is simply too much uncertainty here in regard to curriculum, student retention, board pass rates and residency placement.

If you did that you'd be missing out on some great schools. LMU-DCOM was founded after 2000 but it's a good school. I'm going to ARCOM and will be apart of their inaugural class. Usually that's a risky thing to do but I can tell you that the community is 110% committed to this school (I live very close to the school.) don't rule out schools based solely on when they were founded

Is there any risk with going to schools that only have provisional accreditation? Like if I only recieved an acceptance to a school like this, should I run with it?

Is there any risk with going to schools that only have provisional accreditation? Like if I only recieved an acceptance to a school like this, should I run with it?

No it's not an issue. This was asked in another thread and a number of posters gave a good response

If they lose accredition they are required to buy your seat at another school. It's why they are required a 30mil bank roll incase. No. DO school has not gained accreditation