Does anyone have a list of new DO schools opening 2020-2023?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkif586

Reaction score
I tried to google, but just in case asking here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cant seem to find it but here are a few
Morgan State 2023

These two just applied
  • Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine – applying for a branch campus in Billings, Montana.
  • Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine – applying for an additional location in Sewell, New Jersey.

all current schools including
Noorda (2021)
California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (2020)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Louisiana Campus (2020)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Elmira (2020)
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine - Knoxville (2020)
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine - Tahlequah (2020)
Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (2020)

I know there are a few more but this is too depressing to keep looking

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Based on your other posts you have a 3.9 but feel like you won't score higher than the low 500s so I suspect you're looking for "easy" schools to get into. If that's the case then I highly suggest you rethink your strategy. I know you "don't want to take another year to get a 511 MCAT for MD" but the alternative of possibly attending one of these newer schools is nearly 1) you might flunk out or take 5-6 years from MS1-Residency, 2) 50%+ cost 3)more barriers/less opportunities
Yes, that's my thoughts. I just have huge test-taking fear and try to maximize my chances. I probably won't end up at some new school but you know how scary the process is... I also suck at physics so that also adds anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think big tests stop in medical school? And you're very likely to end up at a decent DO school but the process is so competitive and random that you just never know. If 1 year from now you're staring at an acceptance ONLY from a newer DO school you'll probably just bite the bullet and commit.

It's better to learn how to overcome your fear of taking tests now while you can trial & error all sorts of strategies, therapies with virtually no consequence versus in med school where failing 2 tests/classes might mean getting kicked out or repeating the year. This is especially true at newer schools that try to pad their match rate so they're more likely to be harsh (even possibly bend and twist their remediation policy) so only very strong test-takers make it through and the school can boast a higher match rate.

Assuming your 3.9 is legit and not just padded with tons of fluff classes, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by approaching the MCAT with a negative attitude. You've already made it this far and this MCAT is just one more obstacle.
It is rather an uncertainty-fear in general. My 3.9 is legit but every time when it comes to mid term or final, I am nervous for around 10 days until I get my score back even if I studied hard and knew the material. Same way with MCAT I think. I even had this same issue when I was getting driver license. I worked with therapist to overcome that which worked for staff like HW assignments but MCAT is way different. I probably might even end up at MD since I live in somewhat lucky state, but the pre med journey is literally one huge stress and fear from the very first day.

cant seem to find it but here are a few
Morgan State 2023

These two just applied
  • Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine – applying for a branch campus in Billings, Montana.
  • Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine – applying for an additional location in Sewell, New Jersey.

all current schools including
Noorda (2021)
California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (2020)
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Louisiana Campus (2020)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Elmira (2020)
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine - Knoxville (2020)
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine - Tahlequah (2020)
Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (2020)

I know there are a few more but this is too depressing to keep looking
The RVU/Montana project has been cancelled.
Billings Clinic ends talks with developers of proposed new med school

The new SHSU school in Texas seems to have a good start and some very enthusiastic faculty. They are only working on their second entering class for EY 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, that's my thoughts. I just have huge test-taking fear and try to maximize my chances. I probably won't end up at some new school but you know how scary the process is... I also suck at physics so that also adds anxiety.
If you want to get into medical school and survive the process, you have to fix your test taking anxiety issues. This is very doable. Contact your school's counseling center or Student Services office. This is NOT giving medical advice.

unpopular opinion maybe but I'm not a fan of new DO schools until we expand our residency slots. The unmatched rates are just going higher.

The RVU/Montana project has been cancelled.
Billings Clinic ends talks with developers of proposed new med school

The new SHSU school in Texas seems to have a good start and some very enthusiastic faculty. They are only working on their second entering class for EY 2021.
true but Toruo is still in talks about another Montana school.
unpopular opinion maybe but I'm not a fan of new DO schools until we expand our residency slots. The unmatched rates are just going higher.
This is a pretty popular opinion on SDN. We do not need more DO schools or expanded classes right now.

I believe RVU is still going forward with Montana, just without Billings Clinic.

Also, off the top of my head--Kansas and Duquesne, I think.

36% of residency spots go to FMGs (non-US citizens). I don't like this DO expansion since its mostly a cash grab and preying on gullible premeds but at the same time I prefer these spots to go to tax-paying citizens.
According to Match Data. 4,356 Non-US IMG matched and a total of 33,353 which would be about 13% of total positions. But I agree most positions should go to citizens, but there are a handful of spots paid by foreign governments to take their grads (not a ton), some residencies will prefer IMG grades and there are some IMG that deserve the chance to practice in the US. In the next 4-5 years I believe 6-7 DO schools will match their first class. GME can not keep up with that pace if schools keep opening and it will be a fight to just match.

the match rate in 4 to 5 years will be a **** show for DO seniors, especially if you want to specialize.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users