Never felt this until now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1168269

Applying neuro. Signaled a program in the city I grew up in. My scores are 1-2 SD above average for neuro. 4 pubs. Great letters. Excellent MSPE comments. It’s not even a well known program. I was 100% expecting an interview - if anything, just because I grew up there and I signaled.

Found out today that they’ve started giving interviews. Every applicant who said they got one didn’t even signal. Only difference is that they’re MD and I’m a DO.

You never really internalize DO bias until it hits you personally…

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Do they have DOs in their program? you still have a shot if they do. DOs get their invitation latter is the consensus on this board for last several years.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they have DOs in their program? you still have a shot if they do. DOs get their invitation latter is the consensus on this board for last several years.

Two DOs out of a class of 28

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Two DOs out of a class of 28
I agree with @MDMechEngr.I posted in another thread that residency interviews are coming in later for DOs. I had a student who had excellent grades and Steps. Didn't get an interview until Dec, and that was after I called our local uni. He went on to get several interviews and matched a Top 5 program. I think PDs are looking at the DO pile of apps later and later. Some PDs don't believe it is their mission to train DOs, but bias is better than it was. Once a resident, you just need to show everyone that you deserve to be there by being excellent. Hang in there, it's early.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yep. This is standard. DOs are usually considered in second and third waves of interview invites aside from special circumstances like having done an away there or having connections to the faculty.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with @MDMechEngr.I posted in another thread that residency interviews are coming in later for DOs. I had a student who had excellent grades and Steps. Didn't get an interview until Dec, and that was after I called our local uni. He went on to get several interviews and matched a Top 5 program. I think PDs are looking at the DO pile of apps later and later. Some PDs don't believe it is their mission to train DOs, but bias is better than it was. Once a resident, you just need to show everyone that you deserve to be there by being excellent. Hang in there, it's early.

I just thought that maybe since I signaled them (which is pretty big in neuro since you only get 3 signals) and that since I grew up in that town, they'd give me a shot rather than put me in the back burner.

I just thought that maybe since I signaled them (which is pretty big in neuro since you only get 3 signals) and that since I grew up in that town, they'd give me a shot rather than put me in the back burner.
I would tend to agree, but bias is rather program dependent. Agreed that Neuro has better matching stats for DOs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I agree that the whole DO bias is dumb.

Sorry OP.

Last edited:
UPDATE: still no word from this program, although I have more than 10 interviews so far, so I know my app is solid!

A lot depends on the number of applicants too. Students are applying to more programs because programs are getting more competetive. Programs are getting thousands of apps. I know a new rural family med program got nearly 300 apps last year. Programs have to go through and look at more apps and then decide who to interview. Try to be patient. Pick the program(s) that will help you achieve your career goals. Things have a way of working out.

• Love