Join research now or wait until M3 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroiscool42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in dedicated, likely to pass step 1 with the way studying is going and how my scores are panning out. I was planning to contact institutions I am interested in for residency to see if I could get involved in some research. I worry that although I may have more time now, I am hesitant about jumping on a project and then not having time for it when M3 starts, especially since I'm starting on surgery and OB. The last thing I want to do is make a bad impression at places I hope to match at someday. Any advice on how I should proceed?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to publish, then keep it mind that you're looking at 1-2 years before you'll have a citation that you can put on your resume. Bench type research and retrospective analyses are quicker.

But if your goal is just to learn about research, then it doesn't really matter where you do it. You're more likely to find sympathetic faculty at your home institution.

If your goal is to publish, then keep it mind that you're looking at 1-2 years before you'll have a citation that you can put on your resume. Bench type research and retrospective analyses are quicker.

But if your goal is just to learn about research, then it doesn't really matter where you do it. You're more likely to find sympathetic faculty at your home institution.

Lol don’t do research wo the goal of publishing…

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rule of thumb

You can match into primary care specialties without any publications, but should aim for 2 or 3 papers regardless (really not hard to do). 5+ if you want to match into a competitive primary care institution. Competitive specialties (derm, surg, rads etc), you should aim for 10+. Quantity>Quality. PDs are lazy. They don't read your papers.

Since you basically only have 1.5 years left to publish (review process will be around 3+ months), reach out to residents for already completed databases or work with someone who has experience with national databases. Alternatively, your options are to write a couple of review articles. All in all, it depends on what field you wnt to go into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Rule of thumb

You can match into primary care specialties without any publications, but should aim for 2 or 3 papers regardless (really not hard to do). 5+ if you want to match into a competitive primary care institution. Competitive specialties (derm, surg, rads etc), you should aim for 10+. Quantity>Quality. PDs are lazy. They don't read your papers.

Since you basically only have 1.5 years left to publish (review process will be around 3+ months), reach out to residents for already completed databases or work with someone who has experience with national databases. Alternatively, your options are to write a couple of review articles. All in all, it depends on what field you wnt to go into.

True to an extent. Quality also matters too. Just by skimming the title and journal and author position, PDs can tell what you’ve done.

Easy pubs like case reports are good but high impact papers will catch attention as well.

Rule of thumb

Looking to go into neurology so should I push to get on a project right now or wait off until after surgery/ob rotations?

Looking to go into neurology so should I push to get on a project right now or wait off until after surgery/ob rotations?

Are you at a decent sized medical center? You might want to try reaching out to some of the neurosurgery residents at your school. They probably will publish a lot and whatever papers you publish with them, should translate over to neurology. Doubt that PDs will care. Just get on one project so that you have something going. Shelf prep is more important as that translates to Step 2 (the real big dog nowadays).

Reactions: 1 users