neurosurg. vs. ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm a 3rd year trying to figure out what to do for the rest of my life. caught in this dilemma between ortho and neurosurg. i understand both are very different fields and have a decent understanding of the differences, but i like both for different reasons. for ex. neursurg you're still in touch with some knowledge of medicine. ortho- pt's mostyl walk out happy pretty much "fixed".

is anyone else in a similar dilemma or can offer up any advice?

thanks in advace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi newbie11,
My girlfriend is two years older than me. She just got into ortho, and I´m planning on going to neurosurgery.

Anyways, if you are going to neurosurgery you have to be dead serious that is what you want to do. Money is the same or even better in ortho. Residency is shorter. And stress is lower. And the outcomes are much better.

But in neurosurgery you get to do petroclival meningiomas, ACDF, etc.
If you ask me, why do I want neurosurgery? I just love it. Cant imagine doing anything else.

If you have any specific questions, Ill gladly answer them.

hey all, i'm a 3rd year trying to figure out what to do for the rest of my life. caught in this dilemma between ortho and neurosurg. i understand both are very different fields and have a decent understanding of the differences, but i like both for different reasons. for ex. neursurg you're still in touch with some knowledge of medicine. ortho- pt's mostyl walk out happy pretty much "fixed".

is anyone else in a similar dilemma or can offer up any advice?

thanks in advace.

In neurosurg, if your patient doesn't die, you're a hero.

Members don't see this ad :)
Differences

Patient has anoxic brain injury during surgery
Ortho: It was Anesthesia's fault
Neuro: It was the result of the disease process

Similarities

Patient has no insurance
Ortho: No surgery for you
Neuro: No surgery for you

Differences

Patient has anoxic brain injury during surgery
Ortho: It was Anesthesia's fault
Neuro: It was the result of the disease process

Similarities

Patient has no insurance
Ortho: No surgery for you
Neuro: No surgery for you

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you're not 100% sure, avoid Neuroslavery.

Also, although ortho requires some research, in my limited experience, neuro requires a lot of research, so if you aren't interested in research you may want to take that into account.

But on the plus side you get to say, "Oh come on, this isn't neurosurgery...oh...wait..."

:D

The culture of ortho and the culture of neurosurgery are very different. You will eventually find out where you fit better. If your interest in each is the same, then that should be the deciding factor. if you're a 3rd-year now, you should do sub-i's in each early in year 4.

If you wanna wear a diaper to get through most surgeries...go for neurosurg. Oh and the rule of thirds applies from what I've been told.

Orthopods: Almost every patient gets better, surgeries can be short (unless your doin' spine....***snooze!***), and you get paid pretty damn well.