Neurology Interview Impressions, 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veighnkman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found the previous years' threads on interview impressions to be pretty helpful. A day and a half is not really enough time to get a good idea of a program, so hearing other people's opinions and insights can be helpful.

The previous thread had a couple of ground rules, so I would suggest we follow suit:

1. No blatant bashing. If you had a bad experience, say why, but keep it within the goal of providing information for others to better make their decision.

2. Be descriptive.

3. Take arguments elsewhere. Let's keep this thread for reports on interview impressions and related questions.

4. Anonymous posting- maybe one of the mods would be willing to post for people who want to remain anonymous?

Mods- maybe we can make this thread sticky?

Members don't see this ad.

No one has started on this, so I guess I will contribute first.

University of Minnesota:

Overall impression is that it is a very good program, and continues to be on the rise.

Strengths include the program director, who is a huge resident advocate and universally loved by the residents. She works hard to make sure residents have the best education, and that their needs are met. She is also very open and honest (I asked her about recent stroke faculty leaving the program, and the reasons behind this). Other strengths include diverse subspecialty exposure, protected didactic times on Friday afternoons where the attendings actually manage the patients, a relatively "cush" PGY-1 year, as vouched for by the residents, and integration into the neurology department from day 1 via neurology continuity clinic. The faculty I interviewed with and met were exceptionally approachable, knowledgeable, and just very nice in general. The university also has an ACGME-accredited ESN fellowship (along with many others), along with a new Medical Device engineering department (if you're into that at all). Also international electives are offered to PGY-4s, though there are 2 spots - one for New Zealand, and the other for Africa. Lots of research available if you want to do it. The program requires 1 project in all four years for residents.

Residents rotate through the University hospital (main hospital), Hennepin County Medical Center (large county hospital that treats the underserved), the VA, Regions Medical Center (more private hospital), along with subspecialty clinics. This is described as a strength and a weakness, as there is some travel time (no more than 15 minutes) between the hospitals, but allows for great diversity of patient exposure. The Light Rail system is scheduled to be completed in 2014, which will connect all of the hospitals. Residents seemed to be very happy, and all but one are doing fellowships - very diverse interests in the residents: Neuro-ophtho, Epilepsy, Movement Disorders seem to be popular. Lots of new Neuromuscular faculty coming in. Previous residents have matched their top fellowships, and the program prefers internal candidates if possible.
Weaknesses: As mentioned before, lots of hospitals you rotate through. BUT they all use the same EMR (Epic) except the VA, and these can be remotely accessed from the other locations, and from home. Seem to be weak in behavioral neurology. Big name stroke faculty seem to have left due to personality differences, and the program is very open and honest about it - doesn't affect resident education. Dr. Qureshi is affiliated at the hospital via research, but really works in private practice in St. Cloud, MN. Minneapolis is a nice city, but it's COLD. Traffic sucks… but I'm from a smaller city, so maybe I'm just not used to it.

PM me with any questions, and I'll see if I can answer them.

No one has started on this, so I guess I will contribute first.

University of Minnesota:

Overall impression is that it is a very good program, and continues to be on the rise.

Strengths include the program director, who is a huge resident advocate and universally loved by the residents. She works hard to make sure residents have the best education, and that their needs are met. She is also very open and honest (I asked her about recent stroke faculty leaving the program, and the reasons behind this). Other strengths include diverse subspecialty exposure, protected didactic times on Friday afternoons where the attendings actually manage the patients, a relatively "cush" PGY-1 year, as vouched for by the residents, and integration into the neurology department from day 1 via neurology continuity clinic. The faculty I interviewed with and met were exceptionally approachable, knowledgeable, and just very nice in general. The university also has an ACGME-accredited ESN fellowship (along with many others), along with a new Medical Device engineering department (if you're into that at all). Also international electives are offered to PGY-4s, though there are 2 spots - one for New Zealand, and the other for Africa. Lots of research available if you want to do it. The program requires 1 project in all four years for residents.

Residents rotate through the University hospital (main hospital), Hennepin County Medical Center (large county hospital that treats the underserved), the VA, Regions Medical Center (more private hospital), along with subspecialty clinics. This is described as a strength and a weakness, as there is some travel time (no more than 15 minutes) between the hospitals, but allows for great diversity of patient exposure. The Light Rail system is scheduled to be completed in 2014, which will connect all of the hospitals. Residents seemed to be very happy, and all but one are doing fellowships - very diverse interests in the residents: Neuro-ophtho, Epilepsy, Movement Disorders seem to be popular. Lots of new Neuromuscular faculty coming in. Previous residents have matched their top fellowships, and the program prefers internal candidates if possible.
Weaknesses: As mentioned before, lots of hospitals you rotate through. BUT they all use the same EMR (Epic) except the VA, and these can be remotely accessed from the other locations, and from home. Seem to be weak in behavioral neurology. Big name stroke faculty seem to have left due to personality differences, and the program is very open and honest about it - doesn't affect resident education. Dr. Qureshi is affiliated at the hospital via research, but really works in private practice in St. Cloud, MN. Minneapolis is a nice city, but it's COLD. Traffic sucks… but I'm from a smaller city, so maybe I'm just not used to it.

PM me with any questions, and I'll see if I can answer them.

Assuming minimal traffic and good weather, 15 minutes, sure. But a bit misleading to say that is the norm. I will say that the IM program is a good one and doing prelim year there will result in great training.

Members don't see this ad :)
For people interviewing next year or later in the future, I would say definitely keep an open mind when you think about where you want to apply and interview. First of all, there are a lot of really good programs out there, and no matter what you read on SDN you really won't have any idea what a program is like until you go there and talk to the residents because programs change significantly sometimes over relatively short periods of time. Second, you don't really start to get a sense of what you want in a program until you've gone on a handful of interviews. Like others have said on here different programs will suit different people. Anyway... will start posting some of the ones I've seen.

Vanderbilt - 6 categorical spots

Work-life balance - PGY-2's work ~ 7 a.m. to check out at 4:30 - leaving at 4:30 is relatively typical. Days are shorter on weekends and if on general neuro. Consult is a tougher service. Overall average work week PGY2 is 55 hrs. Have 6 adult +3 child to divide the work between. q6-7 overnight call, no nightfloat. Even the PGY-2s didn't look tired here.

Location - Nashville - very fun city if you've never been, a big live music scene. Cost of living is going up but still very moderate - you can get a nice apartment walking distance from work for ~1200/month, or buy a condo in the area. Can buy a decent house within a 15m drive. Good city for single/married/married with kids. Half the residents are married, many have kids (male and female residents). Vandy hospitals are all on the same campus in a nice neighborhood with a lot going on in terms of bars and restaurants.

Mentorship/education - I thought the didactics seemed well structured here. Many faculty, including the chair, are very dedicated to teaching. This was one of the major strengths of the program. About half the residents do private practice, half do academics. "Academic track" for those interested; basically this is similar to the system at most places where you're matched up with someone to develop a clinical research project. Per the residents, very few of them do much clinical research, but they said this had more to do with a lack of interest in this among the residents than lack of available time. There is a lot of data available through the EMR for retrospective studies. Particular strengths of the program are epilepsy and movement disorders, but really very strong all around. No neurointensivists currently; chair told me they were going to develop a program and a fellowship within the next 2 years.

Atmosphere - Happy, laid back residents with a great sense of humor. Unassuming, approachable faculty. Overall probably the most friendly place I've visited so far.

Overall strengths of the program in my opinion - friendly neuro faculty dedicated to education, awesome group of residents, carefully structured service schedule that results in very reasonable hours even for PGY-2s.

Reactions: 1 user
Northwestern - 6 advanced with guaranteed PGY-1

Work-life balance - PGY2's do ~ 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM, short call goes till 7 (leave at 9). Night float system. Do 5 weeks night float as PGY2. Overall a relatively front loaded program. The hospital stays full as their volume has gone up in recent years. Tough intern year in a good medicine department. Good ancillary services. Probably the nicest hospital I've ever seen. About half of the residents were married, very few had kids.

Location: At the north end of the miracle mile in Chicago, just a little west of Lakeview Dr. You really couldn't ask for a more awesome location in Chicago. Most residents live within walking distance of the hospital. Per the residents, rent for a 1 bedroom in the area ranges from 1500-2000. There are much cheaper neighborhoods depending on how much of a commute you want. You certainly don't need a car. People complain about Chicago winters but the weather is awesome the rest of the year.

Mentorship/education: New chair is highly motivated to produce more academic neurologists and to increase the academic caliber of Northwestern in general. Currently about half of the residents do academics and half private private practice; many do neurophys or sleep, I think because the neurophys education PGY-2 year is very well done per the residents. They have mandatory education in clinical research for all residents to help them complete a project. Didactics program has undergone some revisions, particularly the basic science components. My impression was that Northwestern has a few attendings that are very dedicated educators, though some of these prefer a more traditional tough love kind of approach. Program director was clearly very dedicated to resident education, and this was confirmed by the chief resident. Overall I thought education was strong here and that the faculty will get the academically inclined residents wherever they need to go.

Atmosphere - Definitely a serious place where residents work hard, and they looked it. A very nice group of residents overall, with a mix between faculty that were very nice and others that I think are probably pretty tough when interview candidates aren't around.

Overall impression: A strong academic program very well located in Chicago where you work hard but come out well trained. All the subspecialties are well represented here.

As stated by Elipsis before, I suggest keeping an open mind on the interview trail as well. In general, most programs seem to provide excellent education and everyone has seemed very friendly and cordial. And to each his or her own. You really do end up getting gut feelings about programs. Here are a couple of more from me, and I hope they help. Elipsis, hope you don't mind, but I'll use your format to keep things a bit more organized and consistent.

UT-Houston, Categorical w/ 6 spots

Work-life balance: PGY-1s seem a little isolated at this point in time, but the program recently became categorical, so they are working to integrate PGY-1s more and more into the neurology family. PGY-2s probably work the most. Typical day, depending on service is usually about 7am-5pm. Call is 2-4/month. PGY-3s and PGY-4s have more free time, and workload is not as strenuous. Calls go down to 1-2/month for Y3s, and home call only for Y4s. No night float, but residents prefer it this way.

Location: Houston (in my opinion) was a nice city - there is definitely some sprawl. Summers are hot, but it was a nice 65 degrees in November. The Texas Medical Center complex is like it's own city w/ Baylor, Methodist, MD Anderson, etc in very close proximity to each other. Houston's cost of living is very low, and residents emphasized how far your salary goes in Houston. You'll probably need a car.

Mentorship/Education: Dr. Grotta is wonderful, along with all the faculty I had a chance to meet. Very strong in stroke (duh) - residents feel that they are very comfortable in stroke at the end of PGY-2. All the other subspecialties well represented, except maybe pain management. NIR is done by neurosurgeons, but they seem to be neurology friendly. Awesome NCC, neuromuscular, and neurophysiology. Faculty seemed to be very committed to resident education. Did not get a chance to meet the PD, as I believe Dr. Hope was on maternity leave. Residents all had very nice things to say about her, though. Seems like residents going wherever they want for fellowships (about 75% doing fellowships, 25% PP).

Atmosphere: Residents were awesome, fun, and friendly. Definitely a close knit group of people. They work hard, and enjoy their free time as well. Faculty were very approachable and seemed to make teaching fun.

Overall impression: A strong program both academically and clinically. Houston probably isn't for everyone, but I liked it. You'll work hard - and, especially in your earlier years. A little stroke heavy, but have plenty of time to explore subspecialties later on.

UH - Case Western Reserve; Categorical w/ 10-14 spots (yep…)

Work-life balance: PGY-1 year is hard work at UH-Case, but you get excellent medicine training. Program is front-loaded in that PGY-2 is the hardest. PGY-3s have several neuroscience and neurology courses (~14 weeks) where they are essentially students with minimal call duties. PGY-4s have lots of time to explore subspecialties. Typical days usually 8am-5pm, with longer days on stroke and critical care. They have short call system (4pm-10pm, residents rarely stay past midnight) and night float from 10pm to 8am. Program emphasizes that you'll always get to sleep in your own bed.

Location: Cleveland probably leaves much to be desired in general. However, people that have been there for a while seem to love it - there is lots of history and culture, both medically and musically (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). Cold, long winters, but beautiful summers/springs. Might have been the only negative I saw in the program. University Circle area is very nice though, and the facilities are top-notch with plans for even more expansion and rejuvenation.

Mentorship/Education: Education is top-notch. The program is strong in everything from my impression. Obviously well known for Stroke/NIR. Dr. DiGeorgia runs the NCC department, and he is inspiring. So are Dr. Furlan, Dr. Preston, and the host of world-renowned faculty. They don't market it very well, but there is a lot of rich academic history associated with Case - INSULIN WAS INVENTED THERE FOR GOSH SAKES. Lots of big names in just about every subspecialty. Great representation.

Atmosphere: Very happy residents. Wonderful facilities. Very collegial atmosphere, where resident education and well-being is a priority. Dr. Preston is an excellent PD who is very responsive to suggestions by the residents.

Overall impression: Honestly the program blew me away! Haven't interviewed at Partners/U Penn/Columbia/UCSF, but I would daresay that the environment and opportunities at Case would probably rival these institutions. Why does it have to be in Cleveland? … (no offense to Clevelanders).

Columbia; 5 categorical, 5 advanced.

Work-life balance: Tough internship, front loaded program. PGY-2's work on average 6:30 AM to checkout at 6 PM (leave at 7). NeuroICU has the longest hours, approaches 80 hour weeks. Night float system. Per the residents, past PGY-2 hours are very reasonable. Some aspects of PGY-3 year are tough, especially time at MSK through affiliation with Cornell and the PGY-3 overnight calls which according to the residents can be like hell (but I think there are just 10 of them PGY-3 year). Nursing and ancillary services can be pretty questionable, adding to the work on nights.

Location: NYC, Washington Heights. Predominantly Dominican neighborhood. Many clinic patients are espanol solamente, though most residents don't speech spanish. Majority of residents live in the upper W side (a 10 minute train ride to the hospital), where rent can be 1500$ if you're really lucky but generally closer to 2000$ for a 1 BR. Some residents live in Washington Heights (and walk to work) in high rises which are quite a bit cheaper with more square footage. Salary starts at 60k which makes the cost of living a little easier.

Mentorship/education: Everything and anything comes into this hospital. Many of the young attendings are extremely dedicated to education, although I think at a place with this kind of volume you're going to get the majority of your education by doing. The consequence of working your a** off here is that nothing will really surprise you when you're done. You can do anything you want if you train at a place like this.

Atmosphere: It's hard to put this sort of thing into words but this place really had a magical feel to it. I came here expecting to be walking into the ivory tower but the attendings were actually some of the nicest and most approachable I'd met this year; they just happened to be involved in some really awesome projects and have access to a lot of resources for them. The residents were what really sold me. They were hardworking, intelligent and tough but a lot of fun to be around and very funny and down to earth. The residents who took us to dinner dragged me and a friend I was interviewing with out for drinks on the upper west side after dinner and even covered our drinks (they said it was "on the program") and told us stories about some of the ridiculous stuff they had to deal with as PGY-2s.

Overall impression: The elite programs are elite for a reason. This is only one man's opinion but I think the training offered here is in a totally different class than many others I have visited.

Miami - I think it's 9 categorical, 2-3 advanced

Work-life balance: relatively balanced through PGY-2 and 3 years, i.e. not as front loaded as other programs I've seen. Avg is 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. per residents, q6 call, night float is one week on one week off (you do clinic in your week off). My overall impression is that with 10-12 residents and not being front loaded the work was pretty reasonable for a hospital this size. Good ancillary staff and social work according to the residents, which was a surprise to me as I'd heard the opposite from a friend of mine who had rotated there (although I'm not sure if he rotated with neuro).

Location: Miami. Some people love it, some people hate it. Personally I loved it. 60% of the residents rent small apartments in Brickell and drive 10 minutes up I95 to work, parking is basically free (it's like 15$ a month). There's also a single train line that runs North-South and that stops at Jackson, but you definitely need a car in Miami. The rest of the residents live on South Beach and a few in downtown. Real estate prices have gone up significantly here recently and rents aren't cheap and I don't think you could afford to buy. Obviously many or most patients in the hospital and clinic are espanol solamente. The majority of the residents start with no Spanish. I was told that basically the nurses will help you PGY-1 year until you're fluent in medical spanglish. Either way, most residents acquire enough to function on their own relatively quickly.

Mentorship/education: most residents do academics from here, all get their first choices in fellowship. I think that a lot of the academically inclined people do fellowships at Columbia because of Sacco. The clinical exposure here is pretty ridiculous because Jackson essentially functions as a referral center for all of central and south America. The faculty is fairly deep in a lot of areas,though not on the level of some the truly comprehensive neurology departments, but the department continues to expand and recruit. Clinical research is highly encouraged. There are also some "tracks" available through the hospital including, education, business, administration tracks for people interested in those areas.

Atmosphere: Chill, close-knit residents, everyone I met was very social and fun. Faculty members were mostly laid back. All of my interviews were informal. Living in s. Florida must help keep everyone in a decent mood or something.

Overall impression: clinically rigorous program with great training in a great location, much more relaxed in terms of hours and atmosphere than I would have expected.

University of Iowa (6 categorical spots)

Work-Life Balance: Program is somewhat front-loaded, but has some call requirements as PGY4. Interesting combination of Night Float (~16 weeks in 2 week blocks, working 6/7 days) and traditional 24 hour call after that (~q6-7). I got the impression that residents are very happy and comfortable, with plenty of time outside of the hospital. Time at the VA is obviously more laid-back than at the university hospital.

Location: Iowa City is a pretty nice typical college town. Had everything there I could think of in terms of stores and types of restaurants. Pretty widely known as a huge party campus for undergraduates, so you may run into some youngsters when you're out and about. Typical midwestern feel and midwestern weather. Bigger cities are all about 4 hours away or so - Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City. Salary is high and cost of living is pretty darn cheap. You can get 2 BR/BA apartments for <$750 (and even cheaper if you want).

Mentorship/Education: ~ 75% of the residents are doing fellowships, and usually go where they want to. Great strength in neuromuscular and stroke. No formal NCC service, but residents stated they get plenty of critical care exposure when consulted on patients in the ICU. Research is not required, but is encouraged, and there are definitely lots of opportunities. Excellent program to be exposed to endovascular (run by NSG/NRads), as there is a large patient base and case load. There is a research track available, but I didn't interview for this, so I can't provide additional information.

Atmosphere: Each PGY class was very close knit, and they were a very cohesive group overall. Interns stay busy with intern year, so weren't very well represented on my interview day. Faculty members were very nice and knowledgeable. The program director is a huge resident advocate and will go out of his way to make sure you succeed. Chair has lots of funding and motivation to expand - lot more neuromuscular, critical care, and endovascular attendings have been/will be hired within the next several years. There is a 10-year plan in place to move the neurology department to a new building/facility.

Overall Impression: Strong program with lots of history that continues to be on the rise with lots of planned expansion in the next decade or so. Great clinical training with options to contribute to neuroscience research, if you want.

UVA - 6 categorical with option for advanced if needed

Work-life balance: I didn't ask about hours particularly, but I was told they were very reasonable by multiple residents and I believed them based on the way the residents appeared (happy, relaxed) and the overall feel of the program. Lots of support by chief residents when on call, and if things get hairy sometimes even faculty will come in. Post call team checks out early, night float system. Resembled Vanderbilt to me in the sense that protecting work-life balance for residents was a high priority for the program.

Location: Charlottesville, VA. It's a small town. Beautiful part of the country, and with disproportionately good restaurants/culture/music scene for its size, but it's still a small town. This will make or break UVA for you. Many residents buy homes/townhouses/condos, or you can rent something for a little over 1000.

Mentorship/education: Residents go into just about every subspecialty, half go private practice, half academic. Many of the academic people come back to work at UVA. They don't push research (actually the program director encourages people to focus solely on their clinical education in residency), but they do have a research track.

Atmosphere: UVA really stood out as unique in this regard. The department has a long history of being focused on education. All of their chairs were former program directors. Of all the places I visited I thought this program was the most educationally focused and supportive of the residents, and the feeling of collegiality between faculty and residents here was on a totally different level.

Thomas Jefferson - 9 advanced with 7 guaranteed prelim spots

Work-life balance: 7-5 (prerounding starts at 6). Residents pretty much always leave at 5 except for early PGY-2 year when people are still figuring things out. No call because of night float system. Not as front loaded as many other programs. Work is Monday through Friday, with weekend coverage split up among residents on a day call system. Currently has more ICU time built into the program than most places but ICU time is being reduced at the request of the residents (they're hiring NPs to manage the work in some of the ICUs). Long story short this is one of the most lifestyle friendly places I went.

Location: Center city Philadelphia. Very nice urban setting with all the food, culture, diversity etc. that comes with it, but without the high cost of living. For some reason rents are shockingly cheap in Philly. You can get a half decent place a 15 minute walk from work for 1100-1200 or get a really nice place across the street for 1500-1700. Not as cold as New York or Boston either. One downside for me was that the children's hospital for your peds rotations is a 45 minute drive away, which means you probably need to keep your car/carpool and parking is scarce and expensive in center city.

Mentorship/education: This place was very impressive seemed to still be up and coming with a lot of money being pumped into the neurosciences. I think the reason it's not more well known is because it's grown so fast so quickly; in the last ten years the neuro dept. has gone from 10 to 25 attendings, and will be hiring another 7 within the next year or two, and has gone from 3 to 9 residents and turned a crappy residency program into an excellent one. Charismatic program director who built this program into what it is now. Strong in stroke, neuroICU, epilepsy, THE place for headache. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on here in part because the neurosurgery dept does a crazy amount of cases (hence the ridiculous number of ICU beds and the separate neuroscience hospital that handles mainly vascular neurology stuff). Many residents stay for fellowship or come back as attendings. They didn't sell the program this way but my impression was that this would be a particularly excellent place to train if you're interested in private practice because of the exposure to the headache/botox stuff and the availability of fellowships that can be done in 1 year with a clinical focus if desired. They don't push going into academics although you will do a research project. This is a large hospital that gets a lot of volume despite the presence of multiple other teaching hospitals in the city.

Atmosphere: Residents were very chill and had fun together at work and outside of work, I think because the schedule allows people to have a life. Attendings seemed laid back on the average and supportive of the residents. Had a collegial feel between residents and attendings similar to southern programs. I didn't feel like I was in the northeast (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Overall impression: It's crazy to me that this place doesn't have more name recognition at this point. This was a solid training program with some unique educational opportunities, cool residents, and an awesome work life balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt – Categorical (6 spots)
Pros:
Residents are very happy and do not seem overworked (good call schedule with fairly early sign out). Extremely supportive faculty with abundance of resources for residents including early mentoring and focus on making the resident “the best at whatever they want to do.” Many perks such as iPads, lunches everyday, and a lot of cash on hospital card. Epilepsy is king (25ish attendings and 9 fellows per year). Movement disorders is a close second. Good amount of exposure to EEG and EMG. Hospital is very nice with NICU (anesthesia run) and fairly updated wards. EMR is supposedly very good with 500K+ deidentified charts and hundreds of thousands with full genome sequenced ready for research. Nashville is extremely cheap and many residents own their own homes.
Cons: Only a few neuroimmunology faculty, not a major focus with no plans to expand. Chair is somewhat cold but seems to want to continue to grow the program. Program Director is very nice but very young and just learning how to be a director. Nashville is okay. Most residents seem disinterested in academic neurology and just want to put in their time.
General Feel: Really enjoyed my stay here. They are very accommodating and it isn’t just a show. Truly supportive faculty with strong focus on EEG, stroke and Movement d/o.

Mayo-Rochester – Mostly Categorical (11 spots)
Pros:
Ridiculously strong and well represented in every single neuro subspecialty. Have separate MS/NMO and autoimmune neurology (paraneoplastic encephalitis etc) divisions. Have 100 neurologists on staff and perform around 75 EMGs per day in the outpatient clinic. Highly individualized mentorship and support. Good travel allowances for national conferences. Have strong connections with AAN – many of the presidents are previous Mayo faculty. People are very nice. The program director and chair are very personable and welcoming. Mayo as a whole treats neurology very well – the CMO is a neurologist and the prior chair of the dept. In fact, while Mayo has a general rule that alcohol is prohibited at resident dinners – Neuro is the only program that serves alcohol and is able to do so because they have such a strong reputation in the Mayo system.
Cons: Rochester MN is in the middle of nowhere and has very little to offer. All the residents acknowledged this and had come to terms with it (most were from or had lived in a small Midwestern town at one point or another). Mayo has a different way of doing things and they are proud of it. They use a completely different scoring system for reflexes, strength and sensation because “that’s the way they do it.” They also do not wear white coats and call their attendings “consultants” because that’s how the Mayo brothers did it. Not necessarily a negative but it is unique.
General Feel: Amazing place that operates like a well-oiled machine with seemingly unlimited resources. The people are Midwest nice and very welcoming. Has some unique oddities that make themselves different from any other program. Only clinical with no basic science backbone. Rochester is a big negative for me however and I do not honestly think I could live there for 4 years.

Duke – Categorical
Pros:
The hospital is beautiful. Just built a brand new Stroke/Neuro ICU which is absolutely gorgeous with large open spaces, gardens and good technology. The old hospital is so-so and houses the general service ward. Neuro critical care and Neuro-onc are the major programs at Duke (Ted Kennedy was treated here). Have somewhat strong Movement and Neurophysiology as well. Program Director is great guy who seems very responsive to residents’ needs. Goal of program is to train very good clinical general neurologists ready to be neurohospitalists if desired.
Cons: Residents were somewhat lackluster – almost pessimistic at times. Interim chair wasn't the most welcoming and really made the interview feel uncomfortable at times. Program is looking for a new chair and not sure of the direction the program will take. May be an “up in coming” but their future is not completely clear. MS is really underrepresented – have some plans to grow the dept but nothing is set in stone. Will likely have a neuroimmunology fellowship in 2-3 years.
General Feel: Left with a so-so impression of this place. I wanted to love it but there were some intangibles that left me feeling that there were some things left to be desired. A very good setting for someone who knows they want to do NCC or neuro-oncology.

University of Washington - Categorical
Pros:
Nice city with nice residents and faculty. They are the primary academic medical center for five states including Alaska (had a case of trichinellosis from a guy eating a polar bear). They are apparently high volume and cover two busy hospitals (UW and Harberview) as well as a VA. UW is more specialty focused with zebra cases while Harberview is very busy with stroke, EtOH withdraw, and neuroinfecious diseases. Research is there if you want it but not forced. Program director is a MD JD who seems very nice but is now part time. Assistant PD is very nice and has a stroke background. Chair is a little qwerky but nice and has done much to expand the program. States he is happy with the way things are now and would not want to instigate many changes.
Cons: They do not have separate general and stroke teams and the way each service is covered is a bit confusing. There is a lot of driving involved between the three hospitals with significant traffic and you must pay to park ($9 per day). The cost of living is cheaper than east coast but not significantly. Not sure what areas they are strong in, I asked a 4th year resident who didn’t know. There is one MS faculty who works off site at the MS center, which is PM&R run.
General Feel: Mixed feelings about this place. I really wanted to love it because it’s in Seattle and I thought that would be a cool place to live however nothing about the program jumped out to me. It seems to have generally covered all the essentials that a program has to offer yet didn’t have anything that captured me about being truly unique. I get the sense that I would learn a lot by doing and come out of the program well rounded.

OHSU - Categorical (4 residents)
Pros:
Very beautiful hospital perched on top of a hill (they even have a gondola that runs from the hospital to the outpatient center). The residents are extremely laid back with interests that involve backpacking, hiking, camping and other outdoor adventures. The department is neuroimmunology heavy with 7 MS faculty on staff including the chair and PD. The residency is not front loaded at all and has a q7-9 call schedule over the 3 neuro years. Research is there but not a major focus for many of the residents. Very nice PD who is new. Strong in neuroimmunology and NCC. Top 10 in NIH neurology funding. Portland is a nice moderately sized city with many things to do off the beaten path.
Cons: Small (4 resident) program with little in the way of academic focus. They seem to be good at training residents to be clinically competent but are not the most impressive from an academic career point of view. Chair is somewhat socially awkward. Portland is not the most diverse city with not much outside the metro area. Do not have a huge patient base as Oregon is sparsely populated outside the metro. Very little exposure to tPA as the hospital is on top of a hill and most patients are first seen at surrounding hospitals.
General Feel: Very nice facilities with generally nice faculty. Left very impressed with the program. Ultimately a great place for someone who wants to live in a nice environment and learn clinical neurology.

Johns Hopkins University - Advanced
Pros:
Amazing place with obviously an impressive reputation. Extremely focused on training basic neuroscience researchers that want to go into academics. Have a great deal of resources, ideal for someone who wants to have a wet lab bench research career. Cover both JHH and the Bayview campus which see very complicated cases as well as bread and butter neurology respectively. Department chair and PD are very nice and welcoming. The other residents seemed very nice but very focused on research and future careers.
Cons: As someone who does not necessarily want to have a career of lab bench research, the program seemed much too confining. They clearly turn out terrific physician scientists with great work however are not well positioned to train clinically minded scientists or private practice neurologists. The PD told me flat out that the program has had people who later became interested in private practice and the program was really not able to effectively aid them in that pursuit. The residency is extremely front loaded with q3-4 call throughout the first and second years. This all is set up so PGY4 residents can have 9-10 contiguous months off for research. Baltimore is by far one of the worst cities I have ever been to and I cannot see myself ever living in it.
General Feel: I am very impressed with Johns Hopkins and can appreciate the great amount of accomplishments the program has under its belt. I think it is a terrific program for MD/PhDs or people with a strong basic science interest. The program is structured, somewhat inflexibly, for such neurologists and does a great job in that pursuit. Overall the program is very demanding but impressive.

Washington University/Barnes Jewish - Categorical
Pros:
Absolute amazing resources! They have a phenomenal stroke program with the quickest door to needle time in the country. PGY2’s are the first to see and evaluate stroke patients with little to no initial interactions with attendings. They have the best neuromuscular and cognitive/neurodegenerative programs in the country. Have a good neuroimmunology/infectious disease group as well as neuro run sleep, movement and epilepsy. Admittedly, neuro-oncology, NCC and neuro-ophtho are not amazing. Has first rate radiology dept with new innovations (PET was developed here). Research is abundant and completely accessible to residents. Residency is somewhat front loaded with nightfloat and q3 short call PGY2. PGY3 has about 5 months of elective with consults. PGY4 has 6 months of elective with a month or so of chief work with q2 home call. Residents are driven and intelligent and have a great diversity of career goals. About 50% do academics with 50% of those doing basic science research and 50% doing clinical work. About half the class is married with half or so of those with kids. Residency director and chair are very approachable and I really enjoyed my interviews with them.
Cons: Sloppy EMR with multiple interfaces for labs, orders, imaging. H&P are hand written then dictated into EMR. Progress notes are paper based with no plans to change. St. Louis is better than I thought it would be but still has some drawbacks. There are some dangerous areas to the north and south but apparently the rest is very accessible and safe.
General Feel: Terrific program with everything one would ever need in a residency. The people are great, very hospitable, and can pretty much write your ticket anywhere. Barnes Jewish is an impressive hospital that is very functional and aesthetically pleasing. St. Louis is not as bad as I thought and everyone said thy have really come to love it.

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - Advanced
Pros:
Harvard resources and name. The program is very strong in cognitive neurology and movement disorders. They are fairly frontloaded but much more than most of the other programs I have seen. Per the residents, the program is set up for self directed people who are comfortable forging their own path with mentorship there only if you want it. Great exposure to Peds neuro with Boston Children’s hospital (most residents say that peds neuro ICU is the most challenging rotation). The chair is very well known and has an amazing mastery of neuroanatomy and functional neuroscience. Mission statement of the program is to train academic neurologists who are dedicated to the training of future neurologists.
Cons: The program feels status quo and even dormant. They have been stable ever since the disbandment of the Harvard Longwood neurology program (a partnership between Brigham and BIDMC) and have had the same chair and PD since this time. They are attempting to institute a neuro-run ICU though they seemed very reluctant to discuss any other plans for future adaptations or change. The chair told me that he has had control of the program for over 20 years and has crafted the department just the way he wanted.
General Feel: Good program for self motivated residents. You have access to everything that the Harvard name has to offer. The residents and faculty seemed nice and though I did not interview at the Partners Program I have heard that it is much less malignant. Boston is the medical capital of the world which has its pluses and minuses. The program is efficient and seems to run smoothly though doesn’t give the impression of one that readily adapts to new situations nor strives to find new ways for improvement.

University of Pennsylvania – Mostly Categorical
Pros:
Really strong program. The department has a rich history and has a great deal of resources. All fields are well represented without any clear winner. Three Firm system with research, clinical and education options. The program is relatively front loaded. In house night call only during PGY-2, the rest is home call. 80% of graduates go into academics. New chair from Harvard who is very enthusiastic and passionate about neurology. Program Director is also new (was associate program director for years). Residents feel that the new program leadership has resulted in positive changes with more consideration of resident input. In general the faculty felt very approachable and down to earth. Didactics are a strength as well with weekly neuroradiology, neuropathology, and teaching sessions.
Cons: The rotations seem a bit sloppy and mismanaged. The neurovascular team ends up taking care of non-ICU stroke, intermediate care patients (GBS, Myasthenia Crisis, Status etc), and randomly EMU patients (talking about changing this). The EMR is home grown and is not very efficient per the residents. The residents rotate through the neuro run NICU though it doesn’t seem like they have too much responsibility (no call).
General Feel: The program is very strong and has just about everything you would want. The faculty seem very supportive and make it their mission to train outstanding neurologists who will make a real difference. The hospital and EMR are nothing to brag about but it seems like they get solid training. Similar to Vanderbilt, they state that they want to make their residents the best at whatever they would like to do. Philadelphia is a great city.

Stanford University – Advanced (6 spots)
Pros:
Stanford has an extremely collaborative culture between the neuro subspecialties, the medical departments and the university as a whole. Similar to Penn, the program gains much of its strength due to its relationships with the undergrad as well as various graduate programs. Arguably it has the best basic neuroscience research in the country with strong connections to biotech and Silicon Valley. Stanford also has a ton of money and is poised to continue to grow – they are building a new neurology outpatient center with a dedicated MRI, infusion center etc. The residents are very approachable and seem to balance academic interests with personal lives very well. Rotate through a three-hospital system (university, community hospital and VA) that allows for a diversity of patient exposure. The Program Director is very down to earth and really cares about the residents. The chair is from UCSF and is very passionate about always striving to make the program better. Very strong in epilepsy, sleep, stroke and neuro-oncology. Continuing to expand the program with the development of a neurohospitalist department. Didactics are pretty strong here with a 3 hour session every week. Individualized mentorship is key here and probably their greatest strength. The residents all seem very well supported and encouraged to excel in their chosen field.
Cons: The program is smaller than some of the other top places which has its pluses and minuses. The residents spend much more time in outpatient clinics compared to other programs, which may be a negative for those interested in neurocritical care or neurohospitalist work. The neurocritical care rotation is a consult-based service as there is no dedicated neuro ICU. Their referral network is not as large as UCSF and as a result do not get as exotic of cases. Another con is the general animosity between the two programs. Both will not waste any time to denigrate the other which is unfortunate. Another draw back is the construction projects taking place all over the medical campus as the university is building new adult and pediatric hospitals. On the one hand this demonstrates the university’s commitment to growth and development but on the other hand it will be a pain navigating through the construction for the next 5 years.
General Feel: Stanford is a solid program with a completely open door policy in regards to innovation and research. They are aware of their reputation for having an unchallenging clinical environment, which they vehemently disagree with, however I don’t think it is as rigorous as some of the other big name places. They are constantly evolving and strive to become better. Palo Alto is no large city but is situated between SF and San Jose. Cost of living is ridiculously expensive though.

Reactions: 1 users
Vanderbilt
Lifestyle: Nashville is a mid sized city with a great music scene and moderate cost of living. The residents seem to have lots of options for living space and most I talked to lived within walking distance (~10 min). The hospital itself is one of two healthcare entities (the other being Mayo) ranked among the best employers in any industry, and their residents definitely stood out as happy with great work-life balance (as good as can be for residency). Concierge service is nice and shows a lot about the level of care they give to residents.
Education: Decent in everything with especially large movement and epilepsy divs. Chair is a great guy and highly involved in resident education. PD seems very friendly and energetic. If you're interested in clinical/database/genetics research, their in-house EMR has the ability to de-identify all their patient records and give you access to blood to do further testing with.
Overall Vibe: A program that's good at just about everything with a truly supportive culture stemming from all levels. The only knock on it compared to a few of the more "prestigious" programs I visited was less of the residents seems interested in academia - though I suspect this may also be more of a reflection of the neurology applicant pool than the program itself considering there are plenty of neurosciensts and resources here.

WashU

Lifestyle: Massive hospital in a nice part of St louis with plenty of affordable housing options for residents, great restaurant scene, and very nice biking city. Residents definitely work hard (especially the first two years) but also seem to love it there.
Education: Both the PD and chair are basic scientists which everything else about this program reflects. Frontloaded clinically in the PGY1 and 2 years with a LOT (up to 11 months!) of elective time during residency for research. There are tremendous resources and mentorship available for future investigators and also access to a massive and diverse patient population.
Overall Vibe: Resource rich program that is excellent in everything though seems to me like there was a heavier emphasis on research/training researchers than other programs, but then again their graduating residents are about half and half clinician vs research track, so my vibe could be off. Has everything you could ask for in residency. The resources and elective time stood out to me, PD cited a 100% funding rate for people who wanted to do research after residency via various intra and extra institutional grants.

Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
Lifestyle: Rochester, MN has been covered before, so I won't say much about it. Basically you'll have a great living space and won't have to be as frugal compared to larger cities, but will have to brave the MN winters and be happy in a small town. Residents all loved the place - though just about everyone I talked to have lived in the midwest before. Like Vandy, Mayo is well known for taking care of its employees. There's a clear culture in the hospital of treating everyone with respect that's emphasized more than other programs.
Education: This program has everything and then some. Strong in every subspecialty, diverse patient population (they do primary care for a lot of southern MN/parts of WI), and their a quaternary referal center so you know you'll see some crazy things. The curriculum itself is very balanced between the years and feels like a natural progression in terms of responsibility.There is some basic research here, just not in the same sense as at the big university hospitals in that it stems from a clinical focus. Of note, they have an internally funded 2 year research "fellowship" for people interested in addition to the usual NIH/NINDS funding sources. PD seemed like a genuinely nice and supportive guy who will go to bat for you.
Overall Vibe: Mayo provides an elite education in an especially supportive environment. Main caveat is you have to live in rochester and if you want to become a basic scientist this place probably isn't ideal. Like Vandy, the level of support for residents really stands out in addition to the excellent education you'll get.

Johns Hopkins

Lifestyle: I think JHU is a lot like Mayo in that most people have nothing bad to say about the program itself but the location is a huge IF. Baltimore offers everything people look for in a city at lower costs than other places in the NE, but everyone emphasized that you had to be vigilant. The residents were what impressed me most about the program - all of them seemed brilliant, motivated, and genuinely loved neurology and neuroscience.
Education: A truly elite hospital with great people, lots of mentorship, excellent clinical training, and crazy resources. Like WashU, the program seems designed for future researchers with a frontloaded curriculum allowing for ~9 months of research time.
Overall Vibe: Elite program, great institutional environment that will set you up for a great academic career. Their reputation is well deserved and there's not much not to like here.

Duke

Lifestyle: The Raleigh-Durham are is, IMO, one of the most underrated areas in the country. Most of the major magazines will rate it among the top 5 places between SF and Boston and I think they have it right. It has a large number of restaurants, a great arts scene, and really everyone you'd expect to find in a major city except it's more spread out and MUCH cheaper. Everyone I talked to loved the area and residents have multiple affordable options to rent and buy. Car seems like a must though, but traffic didn't sound too bad. Lots of outdoors activities available. Finally, I noticed this place pays more than any other program in a comparable cost of living situation for some reason... not sure why, but nice.
Education: The program is in a state of expansion right now with the hospital having just added 700+ new beds and Neurology just becoming a department (only 30 years late...) looking for a chair. The obvious downside is there's uncertainty about the direction the program will go, but the upside is there will be growth. Epilepsy, neuromuscular, ICU and movement are already big here and just about everything else are solid. The PD is a very nice and supportive guy and the university already has an elite neuroscience dept, so this program is set up to rise regardless of who comes in. The curriculum itself is fairly well balanced with a some flexibility, but definitely more clinically oriented than research.
Overall Vibe: Solid program in the middle of expanding and setting itself up to rise into the elite tier. Very underrated location.

UChicago

Lifestyle: Located in the south side of Chicago (more affordable, less crowded, less "nice") than the NU area by the lake. Residents all have cars and tend to live 10-20 mins away outside of Hyde Park itself, so basically you get access to all the perks of being a Chicago without bearing the full cost of living in the city. Residents were happy and did not seem overworked. Note: the program is not categorical, but their IM prelim year follows a 4+2 model (4 weeks of wards/ICU with 2 weeks of consults/ambulatory/elective) that seems super reasonable.
Education: Curriculum was very balanced, though they do have an R25 (like all of the other programs on this list) and can make time for research. PD and chair are great resident advocates and extremely nice. All the subspecialty/fellowships are well represented and, like Duke, Vanderbilt, and Stanford on this list the hospital is attached to the main University campus so potential collaborations are convenient. Not much change forthcoming except the move on the brand new hospital building (their skylounge is absolutely breathtaking). The only thing that surprised me was UChig medical center is not a level 1 trauma center, though I'm not sure that affects neurology residency very much.
Overall Vibe: Not sure how to say it, but this was a program that surprised me (positively) the most on the interview trail. The people were very genuine and passionate about what they were doing and the program just seemed like a very happy place to train. The word that comes to mind is "inspiring" more so than any other program I interviewed at even though I can't pinpoint any particular aspect of UC that would make me say this.

Columbia

Lifestyle: NYC obviously comes with its own pros and cons. Washington Heights has a reputation for not being the best location, but this place looks have to cleaned up a lot over the last ten years. There's a metro stop a few blocks from the hospital and a bus from WCMC so residents have many options for finding a place to live (they are eligible for the storied Cornell subsidized housing as well by virtue of being part of the presby hosptial chain).
Education: Well deserved elite reputation. The history of this place in amazing and they are strong in every aspect of the neurology with connections everywhere. Residents seem to love it here and, like all elite programs it is very clinically rigorous. Curriculum seems more balanced compared to some of the other top programs in terms of having less pre-made research time (they are flexible to give you 6 months if you want it).
Overall Vibe: Elite, tradition rich program with great people in NYC. There's really no weaknesses. The tradition, particularly of neurology, stood out the most to me.

Finally, the elusive, enigmatic Barrow Neurological Institute/St. Joseph's; 6 cat, 1 adv.

Lifestyle: PGY-1 at St. Joseph's seems to be pretty "relaxed." 4 weeks of night float. Relatively few calls. PGY-2 is inpatient heavy and busy, as Barrow is high volume. PGY-3 onwards is much less intensive, though PGY-4s do 1 week of NF (buddying up with a new PGY-2) and continue to be on call. Call is busy, but there are only 2-3 calls/month. Residents definitely have lots of time outside of work.

Location: Phoenix is a pretty nice place. Weather is warm year round, and it's a very clean and organized city. Summers are hot. 5-6 hours from San Diego, 8 hours from LA, 4 hours from Vegas, and 2 hours to snowy mountains if you're into that. Most residents live w/in 15 minutes of the hospital. Some of them own houses. Very affordable place. Really liked it.

Education: BNI is a large referral center in the southwest. There is diversity in patients. Lots of zebras, and the huge neurosurgery department brings a lot of interesting cases to the neurology residents as well. They pride themselves on being expert clinicians. Research is available, and 1 scholarly project is required per year, but research is not pushed or emphasized. Excellent training in neuro-onc, epilepsy, movement disorders, and neuromuscular. Less strong in stroke - there are 2 stroke attendings, it's a primary stroke center that essentially runs like a comprehensive one; neurosurgery manages the endovascular cases, though they are trying to recruit a neurology-trained stroke/NCC/ESN guy. Critical care seems fairly weak, though residents have secured some awesome fellowships in the past (USCF, UCLA, Duke, Columbia). The critical care is done by a private pulm/cc and neurologists/neurosurgeons consult. Also in the process of developing this, though not sure when they'll get someone. Dr. Shapiro told me, they'd love to hire me if I ended up being a neurointensivist…lol. Also Shapiro is retiring.

Atmosphere: Residents are VERY clearly happy, close, and attendings are all extremely enjoyable to talk to and work with. The PD is also very nice and they assure you that they will help you attain whatever it is you desire educationally. BNI is private, and Spetzler runs the show. This causes some tension between Neurologists and Neurosurgeons when it comes to administration. Some instability when it comes to Neurology department leadership as they have not been able to secure a department chair. They were very open and honest about it, and I appreciate that. They reassured me that the residents' education are not affected by this. Overall, it is a great place, IMO, to train, and will probably continue to improve over the next several years. PS… the facilities are absolutely gorgeous...

Finally, the elusive, enigmatic Barrow Neurological Institute/St. Joseph's; 6 cat, 1 adv.

Lifestyle: PGY-1 at St. Joseph's seems to be pretty "relaxed." 4 weeks of night float. Relatively few calls. PGY-2 is inpatient heavy and busy, as Barrow is high volume. PGY-3 onwards is much less intensive, though PGY-4s do 1 week of NF (buddying up with a new PGY-2) and continue to be on call. Call is busy, but there are only 2-3 calls/month. Residents definitely have lots of time outside of work.

Location: Phoenix is a pretty nice place. Weather is warm year round, and it's a very clean and organized city. Summers are hot. 5-6 hours from San Diego, 8 hours from LA, 4 hours from Vegas, and 2 hours to snowy mountains if you're into that. Most residents live w/in 15 minutes of the hospital. Some of them own houses. Very affordable place. Really liked it.

Education: BNI is a large referral center in the southwest. There is diversity in patients. Lots of zebras, and the huge neurosurgery department brings a lot of interesting cases to the neurology residents as well. They pride themselves on being expert clinicians. Research is available, and 1 scholarly project is required per year, but research is not pushed or emphasized. Excellent training in neuro-onc, epilepsy, movement disorders, and neuromuscular. Less strong in stroke - there are 2 stroke attendings, it's a primary stroke center that essentially runs like a comprehensive one; neurosurgery manages the endovascular cases, though they are trying to recruit a neurology-trained stroke/NCC/ESN guy. Critical care seems fairly weak, though residents have secured some awesome fellowships in the past (USCF, UCLA, Duke, Columbia). The critical care is done by a private pulm/cc and neurologists/neurosurgeons consult. Also in the process of developing this, though not sure when they'll get someone. Dr. Shapiro told me, they'd love to hire me if I ended up being a neurointensivist…lol. Also Shapiro is retiring.

Atmosphere: Residents are VERY clearly happy, close, and attendings are all extremely enjoyable to talk to and work with. The PD is also very nice and they assure you that they will help you attain whatever it is you desire educationally. BNI is private, and Spetzler runs the show. This causes some tension between Neurologists and Neurosurgeons when it comes to administration. Some instability when it comes to Neurology department leadership as they have not been able to secure a department chair. They were very open and honest about it, and I appreciate that. They reassured me that the residents' education are not affected by this. Overall, it is a great place, IMO, to train, and will probably continue to improve over the next several years. PS… the facilities are absolutely gorgeous...

I interviewed at Barrow recently and I agree with everything you've said. Phoenix seems like a great place to live and the BNI is a nice facility with a large number of patients. The residents are not abused and appear to be happy. I liked the PD and felt he was truly interested in education and the future careers of the residents. It's not a university program and so lacks a lot of the depth and opportunities for research that go with a university. Most of the residents I spoke with were not academically oriented. I also agree that there is a problem with the fact that the neurosurgeons are completely in control of the BNI. I was told by several faculty members that this has been a major issue that has resulted in a lot of resentment and instability in the department of neurology. Over the last year or so, they've lost the department chair and either 10 or 12 faculty members. (I was told two different numbers.) They were very upfront about this and were quick to say that it hasn't affected the residency program. This is hard to believe. I don't really know whether it has affected it or not, but you have to be seriously concerned about the overall stability of the place.

Last edited:
I found the previous years' threads on interview impressions to be pretty helpful. A day and a half is not really enough time to get a good idea of a program, so hearing other people's opinions and insights can be helpful.

The previous thread had a couple of ground rules, so I would suggest we follow suit:

1. No blatant bashing. If you had a bad experience, say why, but keep it within the goal of providing information for others to better make their decision.

2. Be descriptive.

3. Take arguments elsewhere. Let's keep this thread for reports on interview impressions and related questions.

4. Anonymous posting- maybe one of the mods would be willing to post for people who want to remain anonymous?

Mods- maybe we can make this thread sticky?

Can add my thoughts on this re .....
University of Maryland Neurology, UMMC

Overall it is a decent program, however as an insider there are a few
things an applicant should know. First, the program discharged three
of its residents in the past two years. While no one talks or is allowed
to mention it, as an insider I can tell you that the reason it's in the programs interest
to keep this information confidential, is because the directors themselves are confused as to what went on. One may think that if you complete a rotation it is
the attending assigned to that rotation who evaluates you. Yet, at UMMC the system
is very different. Your good standing in the program is prescribed by the "clinical evaluation committee" which meets confidentially once a month, in a confidential venue by confidential personnel. Not many attendings are invited, but all the pgy4 seniors do attend and set the tone. Basically, if you've upset your senior, if you did not happily comply with the scut work of a pgy2, you are doomed in these committees and a bad name follows you for the next committee meeting. The rotation attending can rank you highly in the monthly E-val, but it is not his opinion which rules. The program director ends up ruling by the reputation engraved in these committees, and when final decisions are made the poor resident is forced to resign in order to avoid a permanent termination stain his record for life. Have stayed in contact with two such residents and was horrified at the way they were "asked to leave" without any efforts at clarifying rumors spread on their behalf. With the third resident, the intimation was so quick and blunt ( honestly blunt...using a police officer to escort a resident out of a building in which he satisfactorily completed an independent call only the week before ) that I didn't even have a chance to chat. If you do decide on completing your training at UMMC, keep in mind that everything you say or thought to have portrayed, may be used against you in clandestein committees. As I am about to complete my training, it no longer applies to me....but looking back, had I known that this is the way evaluations are gathered at UMMC, it would not have been high on my rank list, to say the least.

Last edited:

to mention it, as an insider I can tell you that the reason it's in the programs interest
to keep this information confidential, is because the directors themselves are confused as to what went on. One may think that if you complete a rotation it is
the attending assigned to that rotation who evaluates you. Yet, at UMMC the system
is very different. Your good standing in the program is prescribed by the "clinical evaluation committee" which meets confidentially once a month, in a confidential venue by confidential personnel. Not many attendings are invited, but all the pgy4 seniors do attend and set the tone. Basically, if you've upset your senior, if you did not happily comply with the scut work of a pgy2, you are doomed in these committees and a bad name follows you for the next committee meeting. The rotation attending can rank you highly in the monthly E-val, but it is not his opinion which rules. The program director ends up ruling by the reputation engraved in these committees, and when final decisions are made the poor resident is forced to resign in order to avoid a permanent termination stain his record for life. Have stayed in contact with two such residents and was horrified at the way they were "asked to leave" without any efforts at clarifying rumors spread on their behalf. With the third resident, the intimation was so quick and blunt ( honestly blunt...using a police officer to escort a resident out of a building in which he satisfactorily completed an independent call only the week before ) that I didn't even have a chance to chat. If you do decide on completing your training at UMMC, keep in mind that everything you say or thought to have portrayed, may be used against you in clandestein committees. As I am about to complete my training, it no longer applies to me....but looking back, had I known that this is the way evaluations are gathered at UMMC, it would not have been high on my rank list, to say the least.

Stuff like this would have been good to know a week ago before rank lists were due bro.

Does anyone have any reviews of any AOA programs they auditioned at or they interviewed at?

Stuff like this would have been good to know a week ago before rank lists were due bro.

This is the stuff that no one really likes to talk about and is kept "hush-hush" at many programs. Not surprising it only comes out in retrospect if at all.

The thing to realize is that many residencies are like little clubs (or high school classes) that involve drama, popularity contests, and other such nonsense. The only one who is really interested in you and your success is.... well, you. Pretty much everyone else out there exists to say "no", why you can't do such and such, why you won't succeed if you travel off the beaten path at all.

There are certain places that will help you rise to the top, and others that will grind you down into mush. Hard to decipher which is which unless you have an "insider" that predates formulating your match list.

This is a little bit late, but hopefully it still helps next years’ class. If you happen to find this helpful, please pay it forward and share your insights once your turn comes.

Background:

My ranking was heavily influenced by personal factors, which may be entirely different from yours. My filters included family preferences on locale, basic science opportunities, opportunities in stroke/critical care, and comfort with the program leadership. I would point out that I would be happy going to every program I ranked, each with its own perks. The only piece of advice I could share (gained from graduate school, not medicine) is this: don’t overlook the leadership/mentors. When life happens, they will be the difference between you negotiating a way to happiness or being miserable.

Duke

Pros:

-Guaranteed intern year (if you want it). The medicine program seems awesome, I have friends in it who are very happy, but they definitely work hard.
-Particularly strong neuro-onc, neuro-critical programs. Living in the stroke belt doesn’t hurt, nice cachment area in NC/parts of SC/parts of VA.
-Very heavy emphasis on epilepsy and neurophysiology training (EMG, EEG, etc), moreso than other places, if that’s your thing.
-Beautiful new facilities.
-The residents seemed happy.
-The triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is an awesome place to live—cheap, beautiful, and accessible to both mountains and beach. May not be the best place if you’re single (Raleigh might be better), but I’m not sure about that. I personally loved it.

Cons:

-This is a relatively small program in transition. They recently transitioned from 4 residents per year to 6 per year. Research/elective time was limited and not protected; residents reported getting pulled with frequency but as the class size increase, that’s expected to decrease.
-They are just transitioning from a medicine division to a department, and (at the time) were looking to hire a new chairman/woman and down to three candidates. The new Chair had not yet been appointed when I interviewed/ranked, meaning no one knew what if any change in direction the department would be taking.
-Based on a few odd/abrasive interactions, I don’t think I fit into the culture cultivated by the current leadership.
-Limited track record of R25 supported trainees transitioning into independent investigators.
-The hospital is beautiful, but it’s absurdly large in horizontal, not vertical, terms, meaning it takes forever to get around.
-Finally, I found it kind of overwhelming how often people reminded me of how well respected Duke is. Despite preaching to the choir, I still found it distasteful.

Impression: had high hopes coming into the interview, but I did not rank this program after interviewing. This was a very poor fit for me. There is pretty limited elective/research time in comparison to similarly impressive programs, and they explicitly say that their goal is to be the anti-Wash U, Hopkins model of early specialization and research in training. They want you to come out comfortable as a generalist, so that if you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere, you’re ready to go. Then you can specialize. While this is reasonable if you’re interested in mostly private practice, general neurology, etc, I still don’t understand why this is the model at Duke. A residency program like that can be anywhere. If you have great research opportunities in house, I don’t understand why you don’t leverage that to make your program unique and attractive. The limited support for research, ambiguity regarding future direction, and my lack of comfort with the culture led me to not rank Duke at all. I would point out while this was a poor fit for me, there are plenty of happy residents there who have great opportunities in a variety of other interests. It was just a poor fit for me.

Wash U

Pros:

- Awesome program leadership. Chairman, PD are both incredibly nice and personable. My favorite chairman interaction of any interview. I felt totally comfortable counting on them to guide me through residency and help me transition into independence.
- Residents give tPA, not fellows or attendings. Lots of autonomy (and responsibility), with senior and fellow support, but you make the decision unless you call for help. They’ve also studied the safety/efficacy of this and published it. Seems like great stroke training, and the residents all report that as a big perk of training there.
- Insane volume. Wash U alone has >1600 beds in one giant complex. That’s roughly equivalent to MGH and BWH combined. As a testament to their volume/referral base, they saw 13 new cases of CJD in the prior 13 months when I interviewed.
- Great NCC program, big names in critical care. They have an on-site radiology suite for physiology research in comatose/vegetative/etc patients and lots of really cool techniques/strategies. They have one of two MRI/PET scanners [aside from MGH] next door to the ICU. Incredible NCC research opportunities.
- Radiology support is outstanding—very strong neuroradiology program for support, collaboration, research, etc.
- Categorical program—intern year is integrated into the neurology curriculum, and they squeeze the psych requirement into your intern year.
- Tons of elective time (10-11 months).
- Wide-open fellowship opportunities afterwards
- Very affordable cost of living.
- The administrator for the program was great, nice and helpful in sorting out details, schedule, etc.

Cons:

- Students and residents shared with me that in the past, Wash U had a reputation of being super intense. But they’ve since changed the service structure (ie- stroke and general service used to be one service…). It still seems very rigorous, but at least to me, not qualitatively different from the experience at other big name institutions.
- Very front-loaded 2nd year experience, very demanding year
- No option to do intern year elsewhere (if that matters to you, it didn’t to me)
- STL for some, not for others

Impression: I almost didn’t go to this interview because I didn’t think I’d like STL, but I went and it was awesome. Out of family/geographic considerations, I ranked this program a little lower than I would have based purely on fit and interest in the program. Regardless, a wonderful a training environment and opportunity. Great volume, great mentorship, and outstanding research opportunities.

Johns Hopkins

Pros:

- Great program leadership and rich history to the program
- Beautiful new facilities. Really really nice new Sheikh Zayed center.
- Great NCC & Stroke programs, lots of experience and history, very active research department.
- Outstanding basic science opportunities. The department is very focused on developing researchers (basic/clinical, whatever). This is not a good fit if you’re interested in private practice, but a great opportunity for academics.
- Lots of elective time: PGY4 is like 10 months elective or something to that effect. Good history of getting people R25 funding, great track record of trainees ending up as independent investigators.
- Unusually warm and friendly department. I was really surprised by how nice and engaging everyone was. Really impressive.
- Reasonably affordable cost of living
- Residents know their stuff very well; highly regarded residency training with wide-open fellowship opportunities afterwards
- The leadership and administrators for the program are great—personable, helpful, and very affable.

Cons:
- Baltimore depending on your taste/interest
- Very limited elective time before 4th year, not sure how that affects your ability to inform your fellowship decision/application. That said, folks do very well, so it may not matter, but if you didn’t know what you wanted, I’d see that as a potential issue.
- Intern year setup (at least for me) was kind of a mess. You should know that you can apply to JHU Osler and separately JHU Bayview as the associated intern years (not categorical, just same hospitals). You’re not guaranteed consideration. The Osler intern year seems overly intense—I did not get the feeling that it was going to be supportive or a good fit for me. That said, those interns knew their stuff. Rounds and the ACS mentoring model was extremely impressive, but I just didn’t fit into the culture that well. I also didn’t know about Bayview at all, so I didn’t apply. I looked at Maryland and Mercy (nearby) as backups, just FYI in case you are as uninformed as I was.

Impression: I ranked JHU highly. Would be very happy there. Baltimore left something to be desired, but overall, there are outstanding training opportunities here, and JHU keeps all doors open moving forward.

Emory

Pros
- Brand new Marcus Stroke Center at Grady, beautiful facilities, CT and angio on the same floor.
- Huge vascular program in the stroke belt. Extraordinary stroke volume, huge referral cachment in the South, and elite vascular neurosurgery at Emory.
- Program leadership is really nice—the PD in particular is a really great guy and huge resident advocate. He has won AAN PD of the year and is very intentional about crafting an educational and not work experience.
- Very aggressive neuro-IR (at Grady, not Emory), so lots of experience with post-procedure management.
- Multi-hospital system gives you an academic, county, and priv-ademic experience—you get a sense of all the main environments. I don’t remember if they cover the VA or not, I seem to remember no.
- University service at EUH is now transitioning to a consult-only service. Good and bad, although probably mostly good (no diarrhea management, etc there). It’s principally run by 2 neurohospitalists.
- Atlanta is a great town, affordable, green, great food, tons of stuff to do, etc.

Cons
- 4 Hospital System for some leads to dispersed residents, fair amount of driving/commuting. It can detract from resident cohesion.
- It’s hit or miss with such a limited snapshot of the didactic time, but I didn’t like it as much as most places I visited.
- Limited exposure to NCC at University hospital, almost all at Grady.
- This could be just me, but I didn’t get a great sense of the program on the interview day, I had to do a lot more investigation to get a sense of the priorities and kind of vision and priorities in terms of program design.
- Significantly less elective time than other places (~6 months), with an increasing emphasis on outpatient experience of things like vestibular clinic, neuro-optho clinic, etc. The vision from the program is that they have access to a lot of sub-sub-specialists that aren’t available elsewhere, and they want to give you a wide exposure before you self-select off in a direction to keep you as informed as possible. If you’re interested in general neuro, PP, or more outpatient based career, this could be a great asset. If you want to leverage time towards a particular sub-specialty academic career, this may be a competitive disadvantage when compared to other big centers.
- Limited track record of independent investigators coming out of the program. Fairly new R25 status (not long enough to see a lot of faculty on the other side of it), and (historically, not presently) limited number of interested trainees makes it hard to interpret their numbers. As a potential corollary, MD/PhDs are under-represented in the entering classes as compared to the overall percentage of MD/PhDs in neurology.

Impression: Historically, this has been a very clinical, and less research, oriented program. The program has been actively moving away from this, but since it takes years for trainees to go through and become independent, the results have yet to pan out. Currently, trainees are 50-50 pp vs academia. Up to 1 per year are involved in basic science. It’s a big program (8-9/yr) with a big network across the southeast. I think if you’re interested in either private practice or mostly clinical work, you can’t go wrong. Great opportunities and clinical training, with somewhat of a question about the research opportunities.

Partners

Pros

- Huge program, 18 residents/year over two big hospitals. Big community, but also dispersed.
- Huge network of PIs/Attendings, etc to network and develop mentoring relationships. This has led to a great track record of producing independent investigators with unparalleled post-doc opportunities
- The variety and frequency of didactics was very attractive. @ BWH, Morning Report with Samuels every morning, pretty awesome learning opportunity. Other examples include (MGH) have brain cutting pathology correlation every Friday—so they take a fresh case, present/discuss it, then walk next door and cut that patient’s brain and do more focused teaching.
- MGH has a new clinical center that is the nicest clinical facility I saw anywhere, and houses 3 floors of neurology. BWH is currently building a dedicated clinical neuroscience center (similar to their cards center) for neuro, psych, neurosurg, neuro-IR, etc, supposedly to open in 2015.
- Lots of elective time to specialize or lump for research (~11-12months)
- Wide-open fellowship/post-doc opportunities afterwards
- Boston is a great town, lots of things to do, great culture, pretty diverse, solid public transportation, and accessible to the New England outdoors.
- The administrators for the program are outstanding. Extremely efficient, timely, and helpful in terms of coordinating visits, etc.

Cons

- This is a huge program, and you’re essentially splitting time at two hospitals. To that end, folks have said one drawback is that you don’t know your department(s) as well, and there isn’t the same kind of camaraderie that you’d have if you were all corralled into one hospital.
- The research spaces/opportunities are dispersed around Boston, making collaboration physically harder than it is in most institutions. There’s also a fairly distinct research culture here.
- The density of Boston in terms of academic centers leads to interesting issues. Because there are so many hospitals, and not NYC numbers of people, there are a TON of drip&ship stroke patients. One attending told me at least half of the strokes did not come through the ED, and maybe that’s normal for a referral center, but that seemed to be higher than other places. Not sure how to interpret that (or how true it is), but it seemed notable.
- Current residents had varying views on the front-loadedness of the program. Some 2nd years wished they had a couple of reprieves to pursue some of their interests, while 3rd/4th year were grateful 2nd year was over and now they have lots of flexible time to have kids and use a lot of elective time to pursue their interests/research. Depends on who you ask and where they are in the program. On the spectrum of intensity I saw on the trail, it’s very demanding.
- As nice of a city as it is, Boston is ridiculously expensive, and your salary is pretty fixed.
- Intern year at MGH or BWH is not explicitly guaranteed, although the neuro program coordinates your prelim interview the day before your neurology interview. In practice, I have no idea what percentage of neurology trainees who want to go to BWH/MGH prelim are unable to do so (it may be zero, I have no idea).
- A particularly tough academic ladder to climb if you have an interest in staying as an assistant professor.

Impression: This is a great program. The didactics/learning opportunities are really well crafted and considered, and you have an opportunity to learn from leaders in the field. The research milieu is outstanding with tons of opportunities. My principle concern would be the risk of feeling lost in a huge department, and the very clear sense from the residents that they got worked really hard. That said, it’s a demanding experience, but it seems like if you can take advantage of the situation, you could do really well to launch your career from here.

Yale

Pros:

- New program leadership in the past 5 or so years that quickly grew the department both clinically and scientifically. Strong cadre of attendings, bolstered by a mass exodus from Partners when the new leadership came on board.
- Really nice, engaging PD.
- Particularly strong in epilepsy
- Outstanding research opportunities. This is the only fast-track like research setup I saw anywhere (separate track you can apply for). Intern year is 8 months medicine, 4 months research. PGY2 and 3 is purely clinical. PGY4 and PGY5 is one or two half days of clinic and the rest is protected time for research, all supported by the department. The program leadership is very keen about this setup as a tool to encourage physician-scientists and recruit junior faculty. It’s pretty tough to beat in terms of launching a career. The neuroscience community is outstanding.
- New clinic space, nice NCC space, emerging dedicated inpatient stroke service.
- New Haven is a cool town; not glamorous/ritzy (although CT shore is), but it’s a got a ton of culture and is a unique melting pot.
- Yale recently bought up a neighboring community hospital and recently built a cancer hospital. So now it went from being a (historically) smaller academic hospital ~10 years ago to the 5th biggest hospital system in the country. They work with the university hospital, the community hospital, and the local VA.
- Unusually high pay-scale. They sent out an e-mail post-ranking highlighting the payscale for next year, interns started at 60k.
- Residents seem happy and not overly-burdened.

Cons:

- New Haven for some, for others, it’s a great spot. If you have a spouse, depending on their job there may be limited work opportunities in the area—folks have lived in Stamford and commuted to NYC/New Haven. Very different lifestyle if that’s what’s required.
- Younger fellowship programs in Stroke and ICU in terms of fellows produced, but very experienced and established fellowship directors (former directors elsewhere).

Impression: This is a great program, and I ranked it accordingly. I really liked the PD and all the energy behind the program. It’s a fairly big sized program (7-8/yr, I cant remember), and I got the sense that the residency experience is crafted around a learning experience and not getting scutted out. All the major subspecialties are available, and it’s the only place with anything like a fast-track approach for research in neurology. In my mind, this program is a great opportunity and provides wide exposure.

Last edited:

I would like to briefly respond to rainforest75's comments on University of Maryland Neurology (UMMC Neuro). The comments have recently come to my attention and I do not feel they accurately represent the program.

I am a graduating PGY-4 at UMMC Neuro. Unfortunately there were indeed circumstances leading to the removal of two (not three) residents over the course of several years. Based on the content of the post and username I strongly believe rainforest75 is one of the residents who was removed from the program and is misrepresenting herself as a current resident. If you search their post history you will see that user inquiring about changing neurology residencies in 2009 and 2010.

I do not believe this is the proper forum to discuss the details of why the two residents were dismissed. I will say that in both cases the decision was not taken lightly and substantial measures were taken to attempt remediation and counseling prior to the ultimate removal of the resident. Neither were was the result of personal disagreements, but rather pervasive and extensive patterns of well documented issues with interpersonal interactions and patient care. It has been my experience that the faculty (inclusive of the program director and chair) are exceptionally inclusive of residents and seek out their opinions with respect to the program. Multiple changes that have occurred over the past three years have been resident-initiated. I feel the clinical education has been excellent, and I anticipate I will be well-served in my fellowship next year.

Though I anticipate a response from rainforest75 I will not debate issues further in the forum. If you have questions about UMMC Neuro or are considering applying and would like to PM me I would be more than happy to respond.

Hey ALL
Anyone has any update on the situation at university of Maryland ?
Am from the DC area and sincerely looking into available programs in my vicinity....
It is unclear exactly what happened, but both the original post and the followed up comment above from former residents at the university of Maryland ..... both indeed confirm that AT LEAST TWO neurology residents were let go from the university of Maryland.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but doesn't termination follow a resident where ever he goes ?
and how can a program stain a t r a i n i n g physician record file. . . for life ?
The issue is not what happened (or did not happen), the issue is that program directors have a lot of power over us residents. . . and frankly residents who are not liked for any reason be it right or wrong, don't really have much of a say anyhow
There is a due process which is mandated by ACGME, but it is greatly manipulated by program directors. Yes, residents have a " " chance to state their side " " BUT if they attempt to do so programs threaten them that they will not receive credit for their work, or letters of reference to apply elsewhere....etc.... read previous year posts to familiarize yourself with this known drill.
Have tried to look into this myself and found that at the university of Maryland a letter of deficiency (which is the first official document that states something is wrong with your performance ) is n o t appealable. That's their policy.
Of course this stands in frank contrast to ACGME rules which mandate that a resident be given a right to appeal anything which could be used against him. . . I tried asking the residents in my interview this year if at least formal evaluations are appealable, but all refrain from response and attempt to change the subject.
Just don't understand it, if a resident can't appeal the letter of deficiency....when does he get a chance to state his case ? Obviously, once he gets the next letter in series, ie the letter of termination, he needs to weigh his choices carefully and decide if its worth stating his case on risk of a fatal termination stain in his record, eliminating his chances for a fresh start elsewhere.
This is a familiar drill in several programs ( see previous posts from years 2003-7) ...but not all are like this . Programs affiliated with the committee for interns and residents ( CIR ) for example, have a secondary signed agreement which mandates that a right to appeal be freely granted, without fear of termination, and without intimidation that credit or reference letters not be granted if u choose to exercise your right to appeal. Other programs simply have a heart, even if they are not affiliated with CIR. . .
where does the university of Maryland stand ? TWO discharged residents in less than three years ?
anyone knows if Maryland is affiliated with CIR or if they exercise the known termination- threat - drill ?
Maybe they do have a heart and these two discontinued residents in less then three years, were mere coincidence ?
Would appreciate any input as Maryland /DC is my location pick due to family issues

Hi all
just wanted to ask u guys what u thought about UT HOUSTONS program
I have been consistently hearing it is v malignant.. The PD tends to PMS..residents have to work like horses
when I went I got there I got the same vibe too ! My fiance however lives in houston so im super confused

Fully aware that this is a reply to neuroTobe over a year after the original post, but just thought I'd put this out there.

Additional caveat is that I am obviously no longer a UM neuro resident, and do not represent them in any official capacity.

Speaking strictly to the circumstances that took place while I was there, I can say with no hesitation that residents receiving an official letter of deficiency or those who were dismissed from the program only had those actions taken after multiple repeated attempts at resolution and/or remediation with the involved residents. Those actions represented the culmination of prolonged prolonged issues that were not corrected by the offending residents.

This isn't a matter of administrators liking or not liking particular residents, it was a matter of issues that precluded those residents being advanced appropriately in the program. I can personally attest that it would have been the strong preference of the administration not to dismiss any residents, and every reasonable step to avoid this was taken.

I continue to be satisfied with my education at the program and would give it my endorsement. Once again I can answer individual questions via PM, which is the optimal way to get in touch with me as I do not check these forums with any regularity.