Neurology and Internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aeroraptor7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am interested to apply to both neurology and IM. I really like critical care and/or interventional procedures. I either see myself as an intensivist/ neuro intensivist, inteventional neurologist/ interventional cardiologist. I do have letters from IM and neurosurgery (cuz I wanted to do neurovascular field). I have a lot of neurosurgical research. I am not sure if this would help with IM/ neurology application.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I am interested to apply to both neurology and IM. I really like critical care and/or interventional procedures. I either see myself as an intensivist/ neuro intensivist, inteventional neurologist/ interventional cardiologist. I do have letters from IM and neurosurgery (cuz I wanted to do neurovascular field). I have a lot of neurosurgical research. I am not sure if this would help with IM/ neurology application.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you
You need to make up your mind...IM,neurology, and neurosurgery are very different specialties...as an I/FMG IM and neurology are possible, NS is very competitive even for US students and unless you are an exceptional student, probably out of your reach.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no way you can apply & match in both fields; even if you did dual apply, you'll have to pick one, as you can only do one residency at a time. Furthermore, it's not realistic to be both an interventional neurologist and an interventional cardiologist, and it's certainly not worth the amount of training it'd take to get both positions.

Are you more interested in neurology or IM? Do you have any neurology letters at all (nsurg doesn't count)?