Neurocrit care lifestyle and burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aldertonghen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like neurocrit has a high burnout rate; what factors contribute to this? Atleast at my institution I feel stroke attendings get calls at night more often than the neurocrit ones- and the neurocrit attendings do a 1 week on, 2 week off schedule (there’s 3 in total), plus admin stuff on one of their week off (and fully off third week). That seems pretty good especially since the starting salary at my institute is $280k (heard it from them) which is definitely on the higher side for an academic neurologist. Plus unlike stroke attendings they don’t have to run around all the time to the ED or to other in hospital stroke codes, or worry about dispo stuff (I guess this is not a concern in most private hospitals though). Is it the care conferences/poor prognosis that burn them out? How is it different from being a stroke attendings (who imo have to do a lot more useless work and pretty similar hours)?

Also how is private practice neurocrit different from academic neurocrit? I’d imagine they’d be called at nights way way more often without the protection of the night resident/fellow but have very little idea otherwise.

And do neurocrit attendings eventually transition to something more chill (like how pulm crit docs switch to pulm later on)? If so, how do they do so? Dizzy/spells/fatigue clinic sounds awful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: