Neurocritical Care Cycle 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalltownsquirrel

Reaction score
Starting Neurocritical care interview discussion for the 2023-2024 cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it true that last year many top positions were unfilled? If so, why?

Cause neurology residents are starting to realize that there isn't a market for multiple neurointensivits at every hospital in America.

Also, its boring. But thats just me (neuromuscular boarded)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cause neurology residents are starting to realize that there isn't a market for multiple neurointensivits at every hospital in America.

Also, its boring. But thats just me (neuromuscular boarded)
I thought that the demand was still strong as the offers were still pretty good imo($400-450k straight out of fellowship for some of my seniors).

If NCC could graduate/grandfather into full on ICU (doing bronchs etc, being boarded in crit care) then it would have been way more interesting as ICU physiology is a lot of fun. But managing postop neurosurg patients isn’t. Still vent tweaks and acid bases are interesting for me always .

I agree that neuromuscular is a lot more fun, for me the 2 most interesting subspecialties so far in intern year have been neuromuscular and endovascular (latter from a procedural pov) for very different reasons.

How's everyone's interview season so far? They're picking up for me now.
Anyone hear back from Yale or Stanford?

How's everyone's interview season so far? They're picking up for me now.
Anyone hear back from Yale or Stanford?
I heard from Yale yesterday, so they're still coming in. No news on Stanford.

Are there still programs that have not started interviewing yet? It's May, so like 2-3 months until match? I have some smaller name programs that haven't contacted me even with rejections yet.

I have had programs just absolutely ghost me and we’re nearing the end of the cycle. Anyone have impressions of the programs they’ve interviewed at so far?

How did everyone's application cycle go? As a future applicant, would love to get insight into what makes a candidate competitive

How did everyone's application cycle go? As a future applicant, would love to get insight into what makes a candidate competitive
NCC is not competitive at all. Many programs go unfilled in the match every year, even "top" programs at big-name academic centers. Within the last decade the following programs have gone unfilled in the match: UCLA, U Penn, MGH, Wash U and others. As long as you do not rank < 5 programs in the most desirable cities you will be guaranteed to match. The only time that people do not match is when their rank list is "MGH, UCSF, Columbia" with no other programs ranked or when they have personality issues that make them go unranked when they interview.

Neurocritical Care Fellow Opening!🚨
A new additional spot was added at Northwell Health!
Great Program!
Level 1 trauma with high volume! Brand new ICU Tower.

Open to Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, IM or ER backgrounds.

Please contact: Gina at [email protected]
And/or [email protected]

Do they sponsor visas?

NCC is not competitive at all. Many programs go unfilled in the match every year, even "top" programs at big-name academic centers. Within the last decade the following programs have gone unfilled in the match: UCLA, U Penn, MGH, Wash U and others. As long as you do not rank < 5 programs in the most desirable cities you will be guaranteed to match. The only time that people do not match is when their rank list is "MGH, UCSF, Columbia" with no other programs ranked or when they have personality issues that make them go unranked when they interview.
Why is NCC not competitive? It seems like a desirable subspecialty generating interest even from people in IM and EM. Compensation and work hours (week on week off) also seem better than other neurology subspecialties.