Neuro/Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianUM

Future M.D
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on Neuro/Psych and how it may be useful? Also what is the main difference between a Psychiatrist and a Neurologist who does fellowship training in Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that these programs are slowly dying out in favor of "neuropsychiatry" and "behavioral neurology" fellowships.

Try a search in the Psych forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
other universities are willing to do such combinations upon request

It certainly would be nice to know which "universities" these are.

Can anyone comment on the number of applicants for these positions? With only 9 programs with 1-2 spots/yr ea., that makes for very few spots. With the combined length being 6 years, I'm guessing it isn't that attractive an option?

Often these combined programs are easy to "create." Both departments tend by nature to be flexible and delighted in a student/applicant with wide-ranging intellectual interests. So even though there are only a handful of formally created programs in ERAS (and most of those programs are vestiges of a student-led effort to create them-- I know my home institution's is) you are not restricted to them.

Start with your home institution's PDs of the neurology and the psychiatry departments and go from there. If they aren't interested, they can often given advice on who might be.

I'm a pre-med student interested in becoming a D.O. My question is, would an osteopath be competitive at these neuro/ psych combined programs?

Thanks for your input, and sorry to revive such an old thread.

Judd

Anybody, anybody?

It is my understanding that these programs have been greatly reduced (if not cut entirely) because psychiatry as a whole is and has been moving towards a very biological approach. I think you would be better served with a more traditional route. ie: a psychiatry program that emphasizes the biological or a neurology residency followed by a behavioral neurology fellowship.

It is my understanding that these programs have been greatly reduced (if not cut entirely) because psychiatry as a whole is and has been moving towards a very biological approach. I think you would be better served with a more traditional route. ie: a psychiatry program that emphasizes the biological or a neurology residency followed by a behavioral neurology fellowship.

I would agree. Psych followed by a neuropsych fellowship would be the easiest (in terms of work, both are non-competitive) and most direct route if your interest was clearly neuropsych.

Another piece of advice would be to read the websites of these programs and get a sense of the type of people they are trying to train. Almost all of them want to train true academics. And they can do great work with a dual background.

Overall, this is highly specialized work that I wouldn't worry to much about as a pre-med.

Is anyone who matched into a combined neuro/psych program this year willing to share some of their experience?

I'm applying to one Neuro/Psych program at a location i like/good program and if that not that then Ill just match Neurology

ill let you know how it goes

Bump!

Any info, guys? I've been interested in both fields for a long time, and have yet to find any great amount of detail on these combined programs.