Neupro recall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtwcamel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FDA
Published: April 9, 2008

Read the news release from the FDA below

Schwarz Pharma informed healthcare professionals and patients of the recall of Neupro, a transdermal delivery system worn on the skin and used to treat early stage Parkinson’s disease, at the end of April 2008, because of the formation of rotigotine crystals in the patches.

When the drug crystallizes, less drug is available to be absorbed through the skin and the efficacy of the product may vary.

Healthcare professionals should not initiate any new patients on Neupro and should begin to down-titrate all patients currently using the product per the guidelines in the product labeling.

Patients should NOT abruptly discontinue therapy. Abrupt withdrawal of dopamine agonists has been associated with a syndrome resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome or akinetic crises

Didnt see this posted yet, my preceptor emailed me today to look it up and it was the first I had heard of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the memo a while ago...not too big of a deal IMO.

Got the memo a while ago...not too big of a deal IMO.

I think the only big deal may be if people abruptly stop therapy after hearing about this on the news or something due the neuroleptic malignant syndrome like withdrawal symptoms.

I think the only big deal may be if people abruptly stop therapy after hearing about this on the news or something due the neuroleptic malignant syndrome like withdrawal symptoms.

Yeah, I meant the actual recall itself. Not like the drug was causing people to drop dead.