Nervous.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preoptstudent3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have some questions and need some "re-assurance".

Q1. Most, if not all, opto schools require 90+ hours (approx. 3 years) of course work at an accredited university. Does this 90 hours include AP course credits? For example, I took APUSH and received credit for HIST 1336 = 3 hours. (At the end of spring 2021 semester, I will have completed 77 hours at my college + garnered 35 hours from AP courses in high school = 112 hours)

Q2. On many websites for opto schools, they emphasize a strong/large/demanding course load. My first four semesters I took 10 hour/11h/11h/10h per semester + 1h/4h courses over the 2019/2020 summer. Part of the reason I did not take 12 or 15 hour semesters, is because I was taking care of my mom (stage 4 cancer patient) and working. I also was unsure if I wanted to do pharmacy or optometry. Fall 2020, I took 14 hours (3.85 GPA semester average) and plan on taking 16 hours this spring to make me a stronger candidate. Will this affect me negatively?

Schools I plan on applying to: UHCO, UIWROS, SCO, MWU, KYCO, Oklahoma, UAB
Current total GPA: 3.9
Current science GPA: 3.78

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.
I have some questions and need some "re-assurance".

Q1. Most, if not all, opto schools require 90+ hours (approx. 3 years) of course work at an accredited university. Does this 90 hours include AP course credits? For example, I took APUSH and received credit for HIST 1336 = 3 hours. (At the end of spring 2021 semester, I will have completed 77 hours at my college + garnered 35 hours from AP courses in high school = 112 hours)

Q2. On many websites for opto schools, they emphasize a strong/large/demanding course load. My first four semesters I took 10 hour/11h/11h/10h per semester + 1h/4h courses over the 2019/2020 summer. Part of the reason I did not take 12 or 15 hour semesters, is because I was taking care of my mom (stage 4 cancer patient) and working. I also was unsure if I wanted to do pharmacy or optometry. Fall 2020, I took 14 hours (3.85 GPA semester average) and plan on taking 16 hours this spring to make me a stronger candidate. Will this affect me negatively?

Schools I plan on applying to: UHCO, UIWROS, SCO, MWU, KYCO, Oklahoma, UAB
Current total GPA: 3.9
Current science GPA: 3.78
Hi! I believe most schools take AP credits. I would call the ones you’re interested in and talk to them. They’re very helpful with everything! As for your other question, I don’t think it will affect you negatively. Your GPA is great and if you score above a 300 on the OAT, have optometric experience ie shadowing, volunteering, work, etc and other extracurriculars you will be perfectly okay! A lot of schools have a section on optomcas that allows you to put any extenuating circumstances and you can explain your reasoning.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Some schools accept AP with a specified grade/score on the AP test. Others don't specify.
2. Given your GPA that might be brought up in an interview. Probably not... if so, I would explain why you would not have problems with 20 plus hours a semester in Optometry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the 2020 cycle , 79% of the applicants were admitted per the ASCO stats. Your gpa is off the chart good !! It'll be a good experience and don't worry . 300 OAT and you are set ;)

During the 2020 cycle , 79% of the applicants were admitted per the ASCO stats. Your gpa is off the chart good !! It'll be a good experience and don't worry . 300 OAT and you are set ;)
Thank you for your reply. Crossing my fingers.