Interview Advice!! I'm so nervous!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tophu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have 3 interviews coming up (Incarnate Ward, UHCO, and UAB). I am super nervous and willing to hear any advice or tips from you guys.

Anything I should bring besides maybe a note book or pencil? Is a purse a weird thing to bring? Tips for making a good impression?

I know being yourself is the best thing to do, but I'm scared I'll do something wrong and mess it up.

Thanks in advanced! Good luck to everyone applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Prepare for the interview by either mock interviews or writing out the answers and going over them. Become familiar with your answers but don't memorize them.
Looking on here and on optometrystudents.com is a good way to build a list of common interview questions. Most interviews are conversations between you and ODs at the school so don't feel like it's an interrogation. Make sure you have questions for them that show you are interested.
Be yourself is often said but it's the truth. You were invited to interview because you are academically qualified. Now they want to see the "real" you.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Is a purse a weird thing to bring? Tips for making a good impression?
Aww, you're so adorable! Bring a purse, it's not the OAT where your stuff would be in a locker. Go online and google tips for great impressions. Also, the hardest question in any interview to answer is the "So, tell me about yourself" question, so think about 4-5 core facts about you to answer. Along with what evorage said, I honestly think you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tophu!

I interviewed at UAB on Sept. 8th. So I can give you some advice for UAB. So the interview for me started around 11:00 am. They briefly give you an introduction and a preview of the financial aid stuff. At 12:00 or an hour later, you have lunch with two students and you ask them any questions you have about UAB, their clinic or coursework in general. After lunch, they give you a tour of the school, particularly the clinic which was awesome. Finally, at the very end, you have your actual interview. There is an open file interview and panel interview. The open file is where they have access to all your grades and OAT scores. They will ask you about any low grades which wasn't a problem for me bc I didn't have any poor grades. They will ask how you felt about your grades and OAT scores in general. The panel interview is where they want to get to know who you are as a person. They don't have any of your application files on them. Tell them like what your hobbies are and why optometry. Make sure you know the answer to "Why UAB". They didn't ask me that but I had an answer for that just in case. Just be yourself. The panel interview is all about your personal qualities. Nothing academic. It is very laid back and there wasn't anything hard. Just prepare to answer general questions like Why Optometry, Why UAB, tell us about yourself, talk about your hobbies, etc.

I brought my purse with me. It is perfectly fine to bring your purse. It is a good place to put your phone especially if you're wearing a skirt or pants that don't have a pocket for the phone and a coat pocket where the phone could easily fall out of.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue about the other two schools you're interviewing with. But if anything, they'll definitely ask why optometry, why their school, and talk about yourself. So just have decent answers for those questions and you should be good.

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask what your GPA was and your OAT score was... I am applying in the next week and super nervous.

Hi Tophu!

I interviewed at UAB on Sept. 8th. So I can give you some advice for UAB. So the interview for me started around 11:00 am. They briefly give you an introduction and a preview of the financial aid stuff. At 12:00 or an hour later, you have lunch with two students and you ask them any questions you have about UAB, their clinic or coursework in general. After lunch, they give you a tour of the school, particularly the clinic which was awesome. Finally, at the very end, you have your actual interview. There is an open file interview and panel interview. The open file is where they have access to all your grades and OAT scores. They will ask you about any low grades which wasn't a problem for me bc I didn't have any poor grades. They will ask how you felt about your grades and OAT scores in general. The panel interview is where they want to get to know who you are as a person. They don't have any of your application files on them. Tell them like what your hobbies are and why optometry. Make sure you know the answer to "Why UAB". They didn't ask me that but I had an answer for that just in case. Just be yourself. The panel interview is all about your personal qualities. Nothing academic. It is very laid back and there wasn't anything hard. Just prepare to answer general questions like Why Optometry, Why UAB, tell us about yourself, talk about your hobbies, etc.

I brought my purse with me. It is perfectly fine to bring your purse. It is a good place to put your phone especially if you're wearing a skirt or pants that don't have a pocket for the phone and a coat pocket where the phone could easily fall out of.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue about the other two schools you're interviewing with. But if anything, they'll definitely ask why optometry, why their school, and talk about yourself. So just have decent answers for those questions and you should be good.

Oh my gosh! thank you so much!! best of luck to you!!

Aww, you're so adorable! Bring a purse, it's not the OAT where your stuff would be in a locker. Go online and google tips for great impressions. Also, the hardest question in any interview to answer is the "So, tell me about yourself" question, so think about 4-5 core facts about you to answer. Along with what evorage said, I honestly think you'll do fine.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all congrats on the interviews! I interviewed at UHCO recently and ultimately got accepted so I'll try to ease some of your worries! The day was what you expect at all of them, with presentations, a tour, lunch, and then the interview. Mine was with 3 faculty members. Pretty much all of the girls including myself had purses, no need to bring a notebook or anything, they actually gave us one at the beginning of the day.

To prepare make sure you do some mock interviews with friends/family and familiarize yourself with the kinds of questions that will be asked. Ultimately, even if you say something "wrong," unless it's a major red flag it's never going to cost you the whole thing. They understand that you're nervous, at the point of an interview they just want to get to know you, see that you can hold a conversation, and see that you are passionate about optometry. Honestly it's not as nerve-wracking as you may think, so just try to be yourself and not stress out!