Nervous about passing PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Julzgee

So I stated PT school and made it through anatomy with an okay grade, but I am still extremely stressed about failing a class down the road and being dropped from the program. After getting so far I dont think I would be able to wait another year to retake the class.

One of the reasons is becase 4 students from the year above me have to join our class because they didn't pass a class in their first year. Does this happen often??????
Also, I heard it was because they failed on a competancy test (thats when you have pretend to have a patient and are watched with what you say/do while treating them in a certain situation.) Has anyone else heard of something like this happening?

Any helpful thoughts about how I can stop worrying about failing out and focus on studying!??

thanks
-

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are always students failing and dropping down to another cohort in most PT programs. At my school you have to pass the practical/hands on/competency tests with at least 80% or else you have to retake it :eek:. If you fail the retake, then you fail the course and probably have to delay graduation. Although the standards are tough, I believe PT schools are fair in telling you what they expect you to know, do, say, and be competent at. This is when you become real good friends with your classmates and practice/study with them much more than undergrad. I practice alot and go over different scenarios so that I don't blank out or forget to say/do something during the practical tests. In my opinion, stress = PT school. Hang in there and practice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, four people did fail, but how many passed? If four people failed, yet 30-40 passed, then the odds are actually significantly in your favor to pass.

Now, if 30-40 people failed, and 4 people passed, I could understand your catastrophic thinking.

I would say that it is rare for someone who had the academic credentials it takes to get into PT school should EVER fail a class once accepted. I wonder if there wasn't some type of unusual circumstances involved in the 4 that failed. Perhaps a large party the night before, or studying the wrong things, together with no one else's input (i.e. no one around saying "dude, that's not going to be on the test")

Hangovers kill practical performance.