Negatives of the optometry career VS other careers.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've chosen optometry but I am having doubts on whether I should continue pursuing a career in optometry.

I've read many posts on this forum that discussed the negatives of optometry. One being oversupply.

This has caused me to wonder if I should go into optometry. However, very career has its negatives. So what's different about optometry VS other careers in terms of nevatives? Despite my doubts about going into optometry, I have decided to stick with it for the reason that every career has its negative. But is optometry much worse in terms of negatives compared to other careers?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've chosen optometry but I am having doubts on whether I should continue pursuing a career in optometry.

I've read many posts on this forum that discussed the negatives of optometry. One being oversupply.

This has caused me to wonder if I should go into optometry. However, very career has its negatives. So what's different about optometry VS other careers in terms of nevatives? Despite my doubts about going into optometry, I have decided to stick with it for the reason that every career has its negative. But is optometry much worse in terms of negatives compared to other careers?

It depends....usually the pros of one career are the cons of the other.

Most of the people that I know who are disillusioned with optometry are that way because they are not practicing the way that they envisioned they would, and they feel that they are getting underpaid to boot.

It depends....usually the pros of one career are the cons of the other.

Most of the people that I know who are disillusioned with optometry are that way because they are not practicing the way that they envisioned they would, and they feel that they are getting underpaid to boot.

Interesting!

What would you say is a good way to make SURE you practice in the future the way you envisioned it today (as a pre-opt student).

For example.

I want to own my OWN private practice, and in the process buy out other private practices so that I can really maximize profits. A very huge, vague goal, but this is really what I want to do.

Although I have another year before I start opt. school, I have already begun researching investment opportunities, the opt financial world, and thinking of creative business plans for my goal.

Yet what do you think is the way to stick to your original plan so that you can practice the way you dreamed about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting!

What would you say is a good way to make SURE you practice in the future the way you envisioned it today (as a pre-opt student).

For example.

I want to own my OWN private practice, and in the process buy out other private practices so that I can really maximize profits. A very huge, vague goal, but this is really what I want to do.

Although I have another year before I start opt. school, I have already begun researching investment opportunities, the opt financial world, and thinking of creative business plans for my goal.

Yet what do you think is the way to stick to your original plan so that you can practice the way you dreamed about?

Let me say that 95% of students enter optometry school has the exact same dream that you do and are full of the same vim and vigor that you are, yet so very few of them actually realize that dream.

I have posted on this extensively...do a thread search for my old postings titled "The Way It Is" and start with that.

Let me say that 95% of students enter optometry school has the exact same dream that you do and are full of the same vim and vigor that you are, yet so very few of them actually realize that dream.

I have posted on this extensively...do a thread search for my old postings titled "The Way It Is" and start with that.

Great, sounds good! I will do that and get back to you via. PM or thread post.

Thanks!