Needle stick injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit Question

Preview Your Question
Should I be worried?
I work in surgery and was stuck by a suture needle. The patient was HIV+. I was wearing 2 pairs of surgical gloves. It was a clean needle. We were closing the surgical wound and the needle had not been used on the patient yet. The only blood would have been on my top layer of gloves and was dried on. It was not a hollow bore needle, in that it does not have a hole like an injection needle. It pierced my first layer of gloves but I don't recall a hole in the second layer. It was a superficial wound in my index finger. It did not bleed right away. I changed my gloves and put on a new pair. It's been 5 days and I can barely see where the injury occurred on my index finger. I am scared to death. Please tell me how worried I should be.
by tammy • Just now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you not report it and go the the appropriate place for treatment?!? I'm sorry but if you were exposed your window for anti-retrovirals has closed. Gotta do the right thing through your employer/school.

Anonymous people on SDN cannot answer this question as there are many factors that go into this; as SouthernIM stated above, SDN is not for medical advice. Hopefully, you reported this incident and followed recommendations given to you; talk to employee health about your concerns.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.