Cutting needles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I have been thinking more about the needles I use during procedures and specific points during procedures. I know the fundamental difference between cutting and reverse cutting needles, but was wondering when we ACTUALLY use cutting needles? It seems like anytime we do something on/ with skin, we always use a reverse cutting one. Also, given that RC ones are supposed to be stronger and less likely to cause tearing of suture through tissue, I cannot think of a reason when you would use a cutting needle over a RC one.

Members don't see this ad.

To add another question, when/how did you learn all the needle name/numbers? With the exception of a few specific ones that I know because we use them frequently, I ask for taper or cutter, and bigger or smaller.

To add another question, when/how did you learn all the needle name/numbers? With the exception of a few specific ones that I know because we use them frequently, I ask for taper or cutter, and bigger or smaller.

A lot of the suture/needle choices are surgeon-dependent, so part of it will depend on you.

This is pretty much all I'm thinking about when I ask for a suture:
1/2 circle: RB < SH < CT in terms of size
3/8 circle: BV < C1 < BB in terms of size

With the numbers... The higher the number, the smaller the needle (generally speaking). CT2 is smaller than CT1. SH1 is smaller than SH.