needing honest advice on how to move forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n1998k

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am sort of feeling extremely discouraged currently. I will be graduating undergrad in the summer of 2021. I plan to apply for the opening cycle in July 2021 for optometry school. I just want to share some information and am looking for honest advice on how I should go about my situation. I have had a pretty rough undergraduate academic experience. There have been some semesters where I have very high grades but there have been some semesters where I have failed miserably. I went through a traumatic experience in my personal life that really took a toll my grades and I was losing focus. This semester felt unreal. One of my parents got really ill, I had been going to school from home and the environment was not good at all. I had to find a new job due to cover and It did not match my school schedule well. this semester I spent a lot of time taking care of my mom and struggled to find a good study environment. I will be retaking most of the courses I took this semester because I know I can do better. I have received help from family as well as found a different place to live until I graduate which will help me keep focus. I also was able to find a par time work that is very generous in keeping my school schedule in mind as well as giving me time off to study for my OAT. I I know for sure I will be graduating with a gpa no higher than a 2.5. My optomcas GPA could have been higher from the retakes I took but unfortunately, they Made a change where they will no longer do full grade replacement. they are now taking all attempts. however when I contacted UHCO they said they take the higher grade. (still confused on this process. I have had 2.5 years of experience working as an optometry tech. I have done a lot of macular degeneration testing, glaucoma evaluations, cataract pre/post ops. Ive seen patients coming in for shingles, macular holes, plaquenil testing on lupus patients, diabetic retinopathy, and more. Ive learned a lot the 2.5 years I worked there. I built amazing relationships with patients and the doctor I worked for will be writing me a letter of rec. I also am involved in POPS and pre-health organization in school. Ive volunteered for prevent blindness and have shadowed different optometry settings. I kept a diary of all interesting notes, cases, things I've seen where I worked. I just have struggled academically. I know I can only go up from here. I know I am able to Make really good grades this next semester and summer semester. I still am just worried about graduating with a 2.5 gpa. I don't want to give up on applying. I just would like your honest opinion on how I should enhance myself, my application, and overall to be able to be the best applicant I can be.

Members don't see this ad.

With a gpa that low, anything you can do to improve it should be attempted. Keep in mind your pre req grades matter much more than your general gpa so focus on those specific classes and what you need to do to improve them. You're experience in the field is strong so be proud of yourself for that. I stress the necessity for a good OAT score as that can show how gifted you can be academically and it can offset the low gpa. At the end of the day, schools have certain requirements with some being more difficult than others so when choosing a school, look into your ability to even have your application considered. Many students kill the interview and get in with lower stats. Academics isn't everything, so don't get dragged down with your tough semesters. The schools can often see your hard work to push yourself to the top as your academic career progresses so an upward shift in grades from semester to semester can say a lot about you. Just focus on the grades you can change, the OAT you can take, and the personal image you present the program with when you get an interview. I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I have around the same GPA as you. Did you ever apply/get accepted anywhere?